US Politics: The 'In His Own Words' Edition

Fragile Bird

Trump's campaign is paying for legal fees for a totally independent business man 2 weeks prior to the Russian meeting breaking. Oh and the campaign is paying $90k to the Trump Org for legal advice which makes no sense.

15 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Trump's campaign is paying for legal fees for a totally independent business man 2 weeks prior to the Russian meeting breaking. Oh and the campaign is paying $90k to the Trump Org for legal advice which makes no sense.

Trump was paying himself all throughout the campaign. That's nothing new. He was charging his own campaign exorbitant fees for office space and hotel accomodations and the like. Have no idea how this is legal, but it was widely reported.

59 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

1 - The original version of the AHCA just barely squeaked through the house.  The far right members of the house, who have no concept of 'compromise' are going to howl bloody murder at this bill. 

2 - Playing turtle isn't going to work.  Groups have been going to great lengths to get in these guys faces.  I said this before, but even with the baseball shooting it has not sunk into this board:  CONGRESSPEOPLE WHO RETURN TO THEIR HOME DISTRICTS RISK PHYSICAL VIOLENCE.   The comments are that intense. The town halls are almost irrelevant. 

To #1, do you mean from the perspective of a moderate (R) congresscritter? Because it seems to me that this bill got meaner with the Cruz amendment. They basically killed pre-existing conditions as a consideration for anyone other than those who are going to benefit from the tax cut. Not sure where this pushback is going to come from in Congress.

I hope you're right about point #2, but I fear it's going to take another act of violence before congresspeople actually stand up and listen to their constituencies.

Whoah, this bill was too cruel for Scott fucking Walker

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/insurers-governors-both-hate-gop-health-care-bill.html

Insurers, Governors Join Ranks of People Who Hate the GOP Health Care Bill

Even some hardcore conservatives balked: Wisconsin’s Scott Walker endorsed a different, more generous version of repeal, and said that “None of these plans right now do us justice.”

22 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Scott fucking Walker

Well, well, from the article linked above;

McConnell’s strategy to buy off moderates may yet work, but a meeting of the nation’s governors on Friday, where the mood toward the bill was outright hostility, showed that it will be a heavy lift. Nevada’s Brian Sandoval, a popular governor and key figure in the repeal debate to whom Dean Heller has attached himself at the hip, expressed “great concerns” about the BCRA. (A closed-door meeting with Trump Administration officials on Saturday morning did little to change his tune.) Ohio’s John Kasich called it “unacceptable,” which may or may not sway his state’s Republican senator, Rob Portman. Even some hardcore conservatives balked: Wisconsin’s Scott Walker endorsed a different, more generous version of repeal, and said that “None of these plans right now do us justice.”

In response to these concerns, Vice President Pence made the Orwellian pronouncement that the GOP bill is actually “saving Medicaid” by gutting it, and then peddled some bald-faced lies about Ohio.

Hey Pencey-Poo, the 'we had to destroy the village in-order to save it' has been done. It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now.  

Remember a few weeks ago there were reports that Trump was absolutely livid over the Russia investigation? That he was actually considering firing Mueller?

Seems pretty clear now this must have been when he found out about Kushner leaving out the meeting at Trump Tower on his security clearance, no? If you believe he wasn't told the details when it happened, just that information was coming about Clinton.

I can't find the post, but whoever mentioned either earlier in this thread, or in the last that the term "nothingburger" was already becoming unbearable was bang on. Holy Shit these media wonks are running that term into the ground. It doesn't make you sound hip to parrot the kids, hacks, it just makes you look desperate for attention, especially when you repeat it ad nauseam. 

21 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I can't find the post, but whoever mentioned either earlier in this thread, or in the last that the term "nothingburger" was already becoming unbearable was bang on. Holy Shit this media wonks are running that term into the ground. It doesn't make you sound hip to parrot the kids, hacks, it just makes you look desperate for attention, especially when you repeat it ad nauseam. 

I'll take my nothingburger with a side of lies.

24 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Lulz. And one alternative facts shake, please.

Yes!  Oh, and put everything on that nothingburger, don't leave nothing out.    B)

Irony?

Bad luck?

Karma? 

Praise Jesus I don't have to deal with this f'ng bill now?

Let's break for recess!

As for McCain, wish him the best.  As for McConnell, go pound sand.  

2 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:
Irony?

Bad luck?

Karma? 

Praise Jesus I don't have to deal with this f'ng bill now?

Let's break for recess!

As for McCain, wish him the best.  As for McConnell, go pound sand.  

Sounds like the doctors just want McCain to recover "next week," at least from what I've read. If he's back soon thereafter, I'd expect they'll still try to schedule a vote before the recess, especially since they've already delayed it two weeks.

6 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Milo Book Sales Prove That the U.K. Is Much Smarter Than the U.S.

http://crooksandliars.com/2017/07/milo-yiannopoulos-book-sales-oops?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/He's sold 18k copies in U.S. and 152 in the U.K.

That's mostly coz people in the UK don't know or care who Milo is. We'll see how smart we are when Katie Hopkins' book comes out.

6 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Sounds like the doctors just want McCain to recover "next week," at least from what I've read. If he's back soon thereafter, I'd expect they'll still try to schedule a vote before the recess, especially since they've already delayed it two weeks.

Depends. Both parties, in the past, have been known to do whatever it takes to get an ill senator back for an important vote if they are one vote short; including chartering private planes. I think McConnell's using this as an excuse because he doesn't have the votes and still isn't close. The senate will take up something else important next week (and there's certainly plenty to choose from) and after McCain is back, the new story will be that the senate needs to resolve whatever they took up before getting back to health care. Then they'll need to act on the debt ceiling, then it'll be pushed-back August recess, and then it'll be too late because the reconciliation instructions expired. If McConnell ever does get the votes, he'll reschedule, but I think the whip count is far worse than what's reported (that most of the "undecideds" are "no" but don't want to make it public unless they have to) and this is a less embarrassing way to shelve things.

That's my theory anyway.

Just noticed a comment that those cheaper insurance plans added by Cruz to reduce costs have one glossed-over string attached.

They don't qualify as insurance plans.

So if you want to get a more comprehensive plan later, you fall into the category of people who failed to buy insurance.

Bam!

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Just noticed a comment that those cheaper insurance plans added by Cruz to reduce costs have one glossed-over string attached.

They don't qualify as insurance plans.

So if you want to get a more comprehensive plan later, you fall into the category of people who failed to buy insurance.

Bam!

And the insurance industry has already told McConnell about it.  The link below (from a Daily Kos article) will take you to the letter from to major insurers to McConnell and Schumer.  

A rare joint letter from health insurers blasts the latest Trumpcare zombie bill. The insurers point out that the Cruz amendment is an unworkable sham and will lead to millions losing health care coverage.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Depends. Both parties, in the past, have been known to do whatever it takes to get an ill senator back for an important vote if they are one vote short; including chartering private planes. I think McConnell's using this as an excuse because he doesn't have the votes and still isn't close. The senate will take up something else important next week (and there's certainly plenty to choose from) and after McCain is back, the new story will be that the senate needs to resolve whatever they took up before getting back to health care. Then they'll need to act on the debt ceiling, then it'll be pushed-back August recess, and then it'll be too late because the reconciliation instructions expired. If McConnell ever does get the votes, he'll reschedule, but I think the whip count is far worse than what's reported (that most of the "undecideds" are "no" but don't want to make it public unless they have to) and this is a less embarrassing way to shelve things.

That's my theory anyway.

Could be.  Can't imagine McCain would appreciate being used like that though, and it may positively give Lindsey Graham the vapors.

Oppsie....

Approaching six months in office, Trump’s overall approval rating has dropped to 36 percent from 42 percent in April. His disapproval rating has risen five points to 58 percent. Overall, 48 percent say they “disapprove strongly” of Trump’s performance in office, a level never reached by former presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama and reached only in the second term of George W. Bush

Almost half of all Americans (48 percent) see the country’s leadership in the world as weaker since Trump was inaugurated, compared with 27 percent who say it is stronger. Despite the fact that Trump campaigned as someone skilled at making deals that would be good for the country, majorities also say they do not trust him in negotiations with foreign leaders and in particular Russian President Vladimir Putin.n Post-ABC polling.

Archived