UK/ Ireland/ Euro meet in April / May?

zakalwe7

While I would like to go to Ireland, the problem with both Galway and York is accessibility from outside the UK & Eire. If this is a Eurocommie meet and not just a UK BwB meet, you do need an airport, I think.

That's why I didn't mention Galway.

I've been to Leeds and it is lively enough at night. It also has the fabulous Royal Armouries. Mult could make it. Other than that, it's cold damp and a bit bleh ;)

From Tolkien m00ts experiences, the tip top destination is Oxford. It's the most beautiful and international medieval city in England IMO. It has piles of direct buses from the airports (even Ryanair ones) to the point that's it's not much longer to get there than London itself. It's constantly packed with foreign students and the weather is very mild.

Only hitch is accomodation. I don't know about hostels (The Tolkien crowd tends to use more expensive saingle accomodation)

To be honest I'm always up for Oxford. I love that place. And we can go punting on the Thames!!! (some of you have seen the pics of me punting in chat :D )

eta: Hostels start at 11.50 gbp apparently, so that's not an issue

Hmm. I think if we want a large number of people to come, like last year, than probably London is only the real choice. I don't really think comparing it to last year is an issue. Whatever we do, wherever we are, we'll be comparing it to last year. It's kind of hard to top that. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't try! :D

Agreed we need a location fairly close to an airport. Having to arse around with taxis, buses or the fabled UK train network is not something we should put any Eurocommie through after a flight and airport security.

That said, Oxford is very cool (so is Cambridge for that matter) and I'd be up for Edinburgh or Dublin like a shot (money, as always, is an issue). Manchester and Birmingham would probably be quite good as well. Not a massive fan of Liverpool though. Nottingham (aka the UK's gun crime capital): no way in hell. A friend went to uni there and I've heard enough about that place to put me off for life.

I would be seriously up for Cardiff though. Was there a couple of years back and it is an excellent city, great for gigs, pubs, nights out, sitting around etc with a really great castle as well. Cardiff and Norwich are two of my favourite UK towns. The latter could also be quite good. There's great nightlife, a good studenty-vibe and the Broads are great for leisure activities. I have a friend living there who may be able to do some good fact-finding for us.

I am puzzled about the 'airport' issues people are talking about though. The airport issues are the new security measures, right? Well, they're here permanantly, they'll be the same at every UK airport and some other European countries are phasing them in as well (they actually started using the same procedures at Amsterdam airport whilst we were there, which was fun). So I think it's something we're going to have to live with.

The airport issues being that the place needs to be by an international airport, else it's expensive, and a dreary trip.

I still stand by Oxford in the sense that's it's near as fast to get there from London airports than London center, and the shuttles are near as numerous :)

and it's a damn sight smaller and prettier than London! While nightlife is probably wilder even, due to the local and foreign students. Oxford is frigging exotic :D

My views of various UK cities:

Dublin

Grrrrr!!! :tantrum:

Silly New Zealanders!!! :P

Otherwise a very complete list. Regarding York, how long would it take to get from the closest airport to that city? I can tell you that getting to Galway would be quite difficult. It has an airport but very few connections. Shannon and Knock airports are close enough but Knock is not much better than Galway, while Shannon is still almost a 2 hour bus ride away. Shannon has got quite a number of services at least. Dublin will have the better connections but getting from the airport to the bus/train station and onto Galway would probably take 4 hours all told, which sounds too long to me.

Cork has a decent airport also with many UK destinations but it wouldn't have direct flights to many European countries (e.g. Sweden) for instance.

Cardiff wouldn't have many non-UK/Ireland routes either. OTOH, I believe Bristol isn't that far away and it has a decent amount of destinations.

Dublin - i would probably be up for it again and i am probably going to try and get over there at some point next year

Cook Zak. :) I'm sure we can do something around then!

I am puzzled about the 'airport' issues people are talking about though. The airport issues are the new security measures, right? Well, they're here permanantly, they'll be the same at every UK airport and some other European countries are phasing them in as well (they actually started using the same procedures at Amsterdam airport whilst we were there, which was fun). So I think it's something we're going to have to live with.

I believe the security measures are now applicable across the whole of the EU. They might be a little more lenient than the inital measures introduced in the UK but they are still a lot worse than they were last year. I've heard that some of the London airports have struggled with introducing these new measures compared to other cities. London airports are bigger than airports in most cities, so it is not totally explicable. OTOH, there is a lot of politics involved when it comes to London airports, so some of the complaints may be exaggerated. I don't know.

I do agree that the new security measures shouldn't make much difference to the decision. If they really are bad, then the owners will be forced to improve things by April.

Anyhow, all the suggested cities are fine by me. :)

the issues have been much worse in London than other UK airports. I have flied from prestwick (which I admit is a wee airport) without any problems during the worst restrictions, while in London planes were delayed because people couldn't get through security even though they were at check-in long before it opened.

1) Am not going to Liverpool, all those scouse accents would throw me over the edge.

2) I'm up for Birmingham, but bear in mind it's been a while since i've been out in the centre and i couldn't swear that i'd be able to guide people for the requisite 4 days.

3) York, fine. No major feelings about it one way or the other.

4) Oxford, again, fine, but expensive?? Just a thought

5) How about the historic city of Rochester? :P

6) Hmm, Ireland is a goer I suppose, but what are the transport links like?

N

ps Slim: You best fucking run, cuntfeatures.

Really dont see much of an issue with the airports in and around London. So you will have to give yourself a little extra time, so what?

If people do decide on another London meet, I will do my best to help in any way I can.

I am however, liking the Oxford idea and if we do it properly, it should not prove too expensive.

Not too sure about Cardiff, as I know from experience that the English accent does not go down too well there (but I could always do my terrible Scottish accent and hope for the best :P).

Although I love the place, I feel we need to give Edinburgh (and V & Zak) a rest, as we have done it to death recently.

Perhaps York would prove a tad difficult to get to but I really do think it would be worth it. Was there earlier and fell in love with the place. It has everything a BwB meet could want (apart from its own airport :P).

Dublin is cool but I am often over there anyway and have found it to be one of the most expensive places in Europe. I do love the place though.

Galway may have been a pipe dream but I do hope to get a few of you over to the west of Ireland one day. Its one of my favourite places on earth and has to be experienced to be believed.

I know the sklep had plans for a gathering in Krakow (spelling?), is that still possible, udini jawa sklep? Have heard that its an amazing place.

Historic Rochester actually could be a goer. Fabled to only be 45 minutes from London and famed for its unusual high street (its also alleged to have a cathedral but I have never seen a pictorial evidence of this). It may actually be worth looking into.

Newcastle? Great and cheap night out and not a bad looking city.

Suppose I could drag myself to Brum but is there owt to do there, other than try not to be mugged and rained on?

Ok there were some of my musings, make of them what you will.

Newcastle? Great and cheap night out and not a bad looking city.

Newcastle is not a bad idea at all.

It's got an airport, the Quayside is supposed to be one of the top ten nights out in Europe, Geordie chicks are always up for it the locals are very friendly

that could be a goer I reckon

Also, I quite like the idea of Krakow as well. What does the sklep say about it?

I've been several times to Oxford and I don't recall it being more expensive than the rest of England. It has loads of nerdy stuff to do, most of it free ( Bodleian library, Ashmolean museum), and piles of antiques bookshops where you can lose all the nerds for hours; it has Tolkien stuff that again you can lose the geeks in so they'll leave you in peace for the day (Grave, Eagle and Child, House, University), you can go boating on the Thames for the sporty ones, a load of pubs have terraces and closed beer gardens; It's packed solid with young people, and most of the center is pedestrian (you leave your car in the outskirts car parks); Nearly everything can be got to on foot (therefore it's really hard to lose track of who is where, and you don't have to actually keep together or else); Shopping is plentiful and bountiful; the main pedestrian street has (well I was only there in the summer, mind), bands that play live, and outdoor stands selling jewellery and stuff (I really wish I could meet those 2 long haired peruvian dudes again :lol: )

While visiting the medieval castle is a rip-off, one can lounge in the newly renovated yard which is packed full of bars and reasonably priced restaurants with tables outside.

I haven't actually clubbed there, but everybody out after 11 pm always seemed to be completely drunk or stoned, so I reckon it's not a problem. (Choice of liquid beverages is vast)

And if you're truly geeky, there seem to be playing Shakespeare all the time :P

Negative: I've only been there around summer time, and spring might be that bit quieter. Though somehow I doubt students do not party at all.

That was my Eurovision entry pitch for the week, thank you for listening :D

Awaiting the Cardiff pitch now :lol:

eta pics link

6) Hmm, Ireland is a goer I suppose, but what are the transport links like?

Outside of Dublin? Lets not talk about them. :blush: Actually, ignoring getting to Dublin, lets not talk about the links in Dublin either. :blush:

I don't mind places on the continent like Krakow either but there does seem to be a big drop in attendance when it comes to meets on the continent. (OTOH, that may have more to do with people saving money for LA last year than the continent itself). Those kind of places are as easy to get to as a lot of places in the UK. So still don't mind about that or Cardiff, Oxford, Newcastle etc. :)

York doesn't have an airport though? There might be one reasonably close but my geography isn't that good (Newcastle?). I'm sure it has a rail station but while I don't mind where I go, I do think it needs to be easy enough to get to by plane. :) (Or not, I could probably be convinced otherwise).

According to the Internet:

York is in easy travelling distance of 3 international airports - Leeds/Bradford, Humberside and Manchester. From Manchester International Airport, frequent Transpennine trains provide the city with a direct round the clock link.

Getting to York by train is easy and great value too. From London the Journey time is under two hours; Edinburgh is only two and a half hours from York and there are direct services from Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham and the South West.

It's not exactly difficult to get to.

I like the Oxford and York suggestions best so far.

I'm going to officially back Oxford now. The last time I went there was so long ago I barely remember it (I was about four, I think) and long before my Tolkien geek days, plus it's easy to get to and fairly studenty. And as a university town there must be a few places to get relatively cheap drinks in, so the price issue shouldn't be too bad.

Hi all I'm new (waves) and I live in York so if you do decide to come here i could help you out with infomation, travel, places to see, best places to eat, pubs and clubs etc.

Ease of travel wise its only 15 mins on a train from Leeds (where ther is an airport) to York (1 hour by bus). York is the major railway hub on the east coast mainline so that works and being a tourist city it has loads of hotels.

Archived