UK/ Ireland/ Euro meet in April / May?

zakalwe7

Blimey. Is York really so difficult to get to? Why is it so unpopular? Why can't you come to York, Prod? ffs fuckin n00b

I'm ambivalent re. Oxford vs York. That weekend is fine for me - I'll be sure to attack the holiday chart at work before all those other bastards book off long weekends for every single bank holiday next year.

Blimey. Is York really so difficult to get to? Why is it so unpopular? Why can't you come to York, Prod? ffs fuckin n00b

Hehe, im sorry, allright! You should hardly be the one to complain though ;) .

Okay, so I might have exaggerated a bit :) , what does it for me lies in the massive and varied appeals of Oxford. The fact that the distance from London to York is so much greater makes it more difficult to combine with visiting my family (which is a must, as, beyond the obvious reasons of wanting to do so, I might very well get my Dad to pay the plane ticket to England, which is definetly going to make difference to whether I can come or not). Okay... So I guess thats it. Thought there was more :P . I guess I would just really a love an Oxford meet and everything else just seems unappealing in comparison. Sorry for the ramble.

Okay, don't start feeling all persecuted, man. :) I just wondered if it was only the closeness to London that was making people pick Oxford. It makes sense that people with family in England would want to see them when they visit though.

Yes, I know. I am crap. I'll see you in a couple of months though. :kiss:

The dates look good so far. Still too early to say 100 %, but at least I've set aside those days in my calendar.

As for the venue, what is the easiest way to get to York from abroad? The thing about Oxford is that getting to London is often quite cheaper than to any other UK airport.

This map might help give some people an idea of where York is relative to other Northern English towns. (I hadn't much of a clue). The nearest airport is Leeds but it doesn't have a lot of services. Newcastle and Durham have airports north of York, although Manchester could be the easiest airport to get to and then one can take a train.

For most people flying in to London, not so for Heathrow mind, York is about an hour further away than Oxford. You really have to go into Central London and get a train there for both places. So the whole York = days of travel vs Oxford = on the doorstep is a heap. Oxford is just over an hour from CL, York is just about 2 hours. I also think that York is easier to get to for Oop North folk.

I am still not fussed where we go just wanting to put things in perspective.

The dates look good so far. Still too early to say 100 %, but at least I've set aside those days in my calendar.

As for the venue, what is the easiest way to get to York from abroad? The thing about Oxford is that getting to London is often quite cheaper than to any other UK airport.

If you can find a flight to Manchester, York's about an hour and a half by train from there. Leeds-Bradford Airport would be closer, but you're less likely to find a flight. Nottingham (or Nottingham East Midlands, to give it its full name) would also be good, but there's no train line there, and you'd have to get a bus in to Nottingham or Derby to get one.

Well, my vote's for York for a number of entirely selfish reasons:

1: I've never been to York whereas I've been to Oxford (it was ok);

2: York isn't far away on the train from Edinburgh;

3: Lasses with Yorkshire accents sound hot I really like people from Yorkshire;

4: we can visit the dales or the moors;

5: I just want to see the look on locals' faces when they hear that we're from t'internet.

But I wouldn't put too much weight on my vote, as I might not make this trip due to 2007 shaping up to be a financial horror show.

Regarding the time, distance, cost of visiting either York or Oxford. They're about equal. Either way, most people are going to have to fly to an airport and then catch a train, and the time, distance and cost involved in each are going to be about the same.

Regarding the time, distance, cost of visiting either York or Oxford. They're about equal. Either way, most people are going to have to fly to an airport and then catch a train, and the time, distance and cost involved in each are going to be about the same.

Get your own post. :rolleyes:

regarding 5, V. You tell people in York that you're from t'internet, I'm gonna resign.

it looks like 26/27 is the one from people's posts. now are we gonna do the Thursday to Monday option that some of us did for London?

N

YORK 13 : Zak, Ten, Sean, williamjm, Ratty, Iceman,Vestrit, Slick mongoose, Isis, Sophelia, Maltaran, Chal, Mel

OXFORD 13: Zak, Wert, mormont, BoG, williamjm, Prod, Slick mongoose, Isis, needle, niamh, Hereward, Maltaran, Mel

Yikes.

May 26/27th, so.

(Barry, you'd be mad to go into central London to go to Oxford. There are direct shuttles from most airports around London.)

The heavyweights are voting York, so I reckon York is a dead cert anyway :P

May 26/27th, so.

(Barry, you'd be mad to go into central London to go to Oxford. There are direct shuttles from most airports around London.)

Listen French/Tinker/Mockney chick, how am I supposed to know how the plebians travel? :rolleyes:

Are there really shuttles from Gatwick and Stansted?

Just realised that there is a bank holliday on the Monday, which makes things so much better.

The problems with Bank Holiday Monday are that accomodation is going to be much more expensive and the UK's entire public transport system shuts down on Monday. Fantastic. I'd probably be tempted to stay until the Tuesday just to make sure I avoid the transport hell (plus the London-Colchester line is currently being shut down every Bank Holiday at the moment so it can be upgraded to a status approaching 'minimally usable by human beings').

Put in my request to get the week off for 23-30 May, which covers the whole period nicely. I also just realised that this is my annual rent-free month (when I have two pay days between rent days), which makes going to York much more feasible. The best days for me attending would seem to be Saturday 26th-Tuesday 29th.

Listen French/Tinker/Mockney chick, how am I supposed to know how the plebians travel? :rolleyes:

Are there really shuttles from Gatwick and Stansted?

:lol:

I think there are. I dimly remember there are. Oxford is proper after all :D Of course you'll probably prove there aren't now :P In fact, that would need double-checking, because if one actually needs to go through London, it isn't worth the hassle. Serves you right for using Ryanair, but well ;)

(I do vouch for Heathrow)

Archived