NBA 2017 - 18: 76ers Make the Playoffs? Embiid They Will

Relic

49 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

And he finished 0-2 with 0 points for the game. He gets rid of the ball immediately virtually every time it comes to him. It's kinda amazing. I've only watched Lonzo against NBA talent. Either De'Aaron Fox in college or all the PGs he's matched up this year. Every time, he's like the guy in the pickup game who isn't sure he can hang so he just tries to make sure everyone else gets the ball so they don't get mad at him.

True, but on the other hand I’ve heard numerous people say they love playing with him because he’s excellent at getting the ball moving and his pass first mentality becomes infectious, as opposed to Westbrooks of the world that cause their teammates to stand around and never find their rhythm.

12 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I shave my head except for those two snazzy lightning bolts. 

Glad some things are exactly like I imagine. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

True, but on the other hand I’ve heard numerous people say they love playing with him because he’s excellent at getting the ball moving and his pass first mentality becomes infectious, as opposed to Westbrooks of the world that cause their teammates to stand around and never find their rhythm.

Yeah, but as we've talked about...Ricky Rubio could do that for them if that was their desire. They drafted Ball to be a next generation Magic Johnson,the guy who keys their offense in every way possible. Pretty soon he'll be the guy defenses ignore entirely as everyone else plays 4 on 5...that is unless he starts showing more. 

Still a better situation than Markelle Fultz though. 

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What are people going to say instead?  They won't throw him under the bus for being an inefficient scorer.

17 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Lakers have a bunch of good young players.  I don't see greatness on that team.  And LaVar Ball doesn't improve their situation.  

Meanwhile, the Sixers have two legit superstars in Simmons and Embiid.  I was never high on Fultz, but lets see what he looks like in December when his shoulder actually allows him to shoot a 3. 

Most rookie guards are absolutely terrible. Ball has been no exception, and it's really pointless to judge him, especially when he has shown some real flashes. Lonzo is high floor, high ceiling. That's a really good place to be.

34 minutes ago, sperry said:

Most rookie guards are absolutely terrible. Ball has been no exception, and it's really pointless to judge him, especially when he has shown some real flashes. Lonzo is high floor, high ceiling. That's a really good place to be.

You're right but for the wrong reasons.  Rookie point guards struggle when it comes to assists to turnover ratio.  NBA is much faster than NCAA, passing lanes don't stay open for long with the level of defense played in the pros.  And credit to Ball for limiting his turnovers.

A rookie guard selected with the 2nd pick should be judged for going 0/2 in 28 minutes of play.  Especially when this kid received all of the attention from the media all summer because of his father.

You're right about it being a 'good place to be' when you have a player with a high floor and a higher ceiling.  Except for the fact that, I have seen nothing from Ball back in UCLA or now to suggest he has either.  He will never be a good shooter in the NBA.  He can use his size to see over the defense and become a great playmaker.  And he has to add a ton of weight to his frame to become an elite defender.  

If those two aspects of his game continue to get better through the years he's worthy of being a lottery pick.  If he can shoot a reliable midrange jumper and get the bulk of his points driving to the lane, he could be worth the #2 pick.

"The Bucks just acquired the next Jason Kidd in Michael Carter-Williams."

--Magic Johnson

14 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

You're right but for the wrong reasons.  Rookie point guards struggle when it comes to assists to turnover ratio.  NBA is much faster than NCAA, passing lanes don't stay open for long with the level of defense played in the pros.  And credit to Ball for limiting his turnovers.

A rookie guard selected with the 2nd pick should be judged for going 0/2 in 28 minutes of play.  Especially when this kid received all of the attention from the media all summer because of his father.

You're right about it being a 'good place to be' when you have a player with a high floor and a higher ceiling.  Except for the fact that, I have seen nothing from Ball back in UCLA or now to suggest he has either.  He will never be a good shooter in the NBA.  He can use his size to see over the defense and become a great playmaker.  And he has to add a ton of weight to his frame to become an elite defender.  

If those two aspects of his game continue to get better through the years he's worthy of being a lottery pick.  If he can shoot a reliable midrange jumper and get the bulk of his points driving to the lane, he could be worth the #2 pick.

That's not remotely accurate. Point guards who struggle as rookies do so because they aren't strong enough and they can't shoot. The one notable exception to this is Russell Westbrook, who wasn't a point guard in college.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6479/kemba-walker

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3012/kyle-lowry

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3195/mike-conley

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4015/jeff-teague

Rookie guards cost team victories because of turnovers and poor defense.  Shooting is nice, but it's not paramount early on, and there are ways of navigating around it in the first few years of a players career.  You're correct about rookies lacking strength, which categorizes into defense, which is paramount.  

Poor shooting is an epidemic for these AAU starts who only rely upon their athleticism and size to dominate lesser competition, by getting easy buckets in the paint.  When they get into the NBA they realize how everyone is just as big and athletic, and they are lost.  This is what Lonzo is realizing.  He not only can't shoot.  He cannot score.  

44 minutes ago, sperry said:

Disagree. It's way too much fun to not constantly evaluate the most hyped draft class since 2003. I don't care if rookie PGs tend to be dogshit, you can still tell a lot by what a guy looks like out there, how he competes etc. 

12 minutes ago, sperry said:

That's not remotely accurate. Point guards who struggle as rookies do so because they aren't strong enough and they can't shoot. The one notable exception to this is Russell Westbrook, who wasn't a point guard in college.

John Wall had a 15.3 PER as a rookie. Kyrie Irving was at 21.4. Sure they weren't remotely as efficient as what they'd become...but you could see the signs from the start these are guys who'd eventually be stars in the league. And these are Ball and Fultz's direct comparables. 

13 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Disagree. It's way too much fun to not constantly evaluate the most hyped draft class since 2003. I don't care if rookie PGs tend to be dogshit, you can still tell a lot by what a guy looks like out there, how he competes etc. 

John Wall had a 15.3 PER as a rookie. Kyrie Irving was at 21.4. Sure they weren't remotely as efficient as what they'd become...but you could see the signs from the start these are guys who'd eventually be stars in the league. And these are Ball and Fultz's direct comparables. 

Fultz is injured and hasn't played.  Ball has shown flashes. He is very clearly going to at least be a competent starting PG for the next decade. That's the floor. If he ever develops any type of scoring ability he's an all-star or better.

18 minutes ago, sperry said:

If he ever develops any type of scoring ability he's an all-star or better.

That's a ringing endorsement.  

He does have the popularity contest in his favor with the Laker fanbase providing votes.  But you have to be a scorer to be an All-Star guard.  Mike Conley Jr. is a top 5 PG in the league and has never came close to being an All-Star.  Most NBA fans (and sports fans in general) don't understand or appreciate the importance of defense over Sportscenter scoring highlights.

26 minutes ago, sperry said:

Fultz is injured and hasn't played.  Ball has shown flashes. He is very clearly going to at least be a competent starting PG for the next decade. That's the floor. If he ever develops any type of scoring ability he's an all-star or better.

I think Ball will be very good eventually too. I'm just amused by his extreme passivity early on. I wonder what LaMelo "92 points in a game" Ball thinks of it. 

All kids are a bit hesitant to speak to adults.  They feel as if they can't relate to them and they are all similar to their parents/teachers growing up.  This generation of millennials has it worse.  They are extremely afraid of social interaction that is face-to-face, and with an adult?  Forget about it.

Lonzo has that shyness in him around adults.  You cannot expect him to lead grown men and face up against veteran NBA players.  

It's amazing how his character is so polar opposite of his father's false bravado.  Lonzo could use some of that enthusiasm and trash talk.  

6 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah, but as we've talked about...Ricky Rubio could do that for them if that was their desire. They drafted Ball to be a next generation Magic Johnson,the guy who keys their offense in every way possible. Pretty soon he'll be the guy defenses ignore entirely as everyone else plays 4 on 5...that is unless he starts showing more. 

Agreed, but he's still young and raw. If he can learn how to effectively attack the rim and develops an average outside shot then he'll be very good. If not, well, he'll probably be a bust. 

Also, his complete lack of athleticism is troubling.

6 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Somewhere in Boston, Danny Ainge is roaring with laughter. 

On 11/2/2017 at 5:24 PM, sperry said:

Lot of weird stuff going on, but can we give some props to Kevin Pritchard?  Oladipo and Sabonis are looking fantastic.

Damn, that was a great game.  Score doesn't reflect it.  Turner did not look like he had been out since the first game of the year.  I've always liked Oladipo, and the dude has really improved his shot.  

This was the kind of game where you wish both teams would end up playing each other in the 1st round.  But... if the Sixers and Pacers make it, they'll probably finish too low.

Lebron just went wild. 

Bulls blowout Magic in Orlando. I have yet to watch a full game by Chicago this year but I do have to see some of these youngsters like Markkanen in action. They started a dude named David Nwaba at PG tonight??

Porzingis another huge night. It is early but a few of my Knick friends are eating their words so far. They were a little iffy on how high his ceiling can really get. 

Archived