NBA 2017 - 18: 76ers Make the Playoffs? Embiid They Will

Relic

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Again, I don't really see how fan reaction has anything to do with the definition of superteams and how they came about.

This conversation started with LeBron's legacy.  I feel The Decision, and the Superteam ERA that followed will always follow any mention of his dominance, skills, and accolades.

1 minute ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

This conversation started with LeBron's legacy.  I feel The Decision, and the Superteam ERA that followed will always follow any mention of his dominance, skills, and accolades.

Oh yeah, I agree with that completely.  The Decision made me a LeBron hater essentially. I don't blame him for choosing that route at all, it was the way he went about announcing it that was both distasteful and annoying. And I would say that this was also the beginning of the end for ESPN as being a respectable outlet. 

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Im getting tired of these ESPN talks about complacency and lack of effort. The Cavs are old as fuck, they have old men legs and it shows. No pep talk or tactics are gonna fix this.

I agree. They're an old-team; this much was clear when they faced the Warriors in the 2017 FInals. Dwayne Wade, as much of a fan of his I am, is just looking for a cozy way out. Kyle Korver while amazing at the catch-and-shoot cannot be effective in transition; J.R. Smith has already been a streaky performer and it's not going to get better as he ages. Kevin Love and Derrick Rose, while younger, are fragile. Jae Crowder, really, is their one notable pickup. Isaiah Thomas's pickup is overrated because what he did in Boston is not going to happen on the Cavaliers. Thomas had a higher usage rate in the last season than Lebron did. And we all know that's going to significantly change when he starts playing with LeBron. He's going to be a designated two much like Kyrie was, and his offense will suffer as a result. The Cavs are still favorites to win to East, but they still don't match-up well with the Warriors. Who knows? Maybe none of that will matter and the NBA will interfere again.

52 minutes ago, Mexal said:

All bow before the almighty Zinger. He shall rule the NBA.

Tonight belonged to James Harden. 

56 points on 19 of 25 shooting. Only MJ ever scored that many on 25 or fewer shots, and he didn't dish out 13 assists while doing it. 

9 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Tonight belonged to James Harden. 

56 points on 19 of 25 shooting. Only MJ ever scored that many on 25 or fewer shots, and he didn't dish out 13 assists while doing it. 

That is nuts. Some seriously high level play going on right now.

I'm just having a hard time not getting excited over the Zinger. Last night, Knicks were down by like 17 and they climbed back in the 4th quarter to win the game. Porzingis had 40 pts on 15/24 shooting, 8 rebounds and 6 blocks. Two night earlier, he had 37 pts in 31 minutes on 13/22 shooting.

Harden is amazing in the regular season.  But he will never lead a team to the Finals.  

Playoffs get physical.  The up-fake where he gets his defender in the air and leans into him during his shot, is his go-to move.  You don't get those calls as much in the playoffs.  Especially in the 4th.  

4 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

Not sure why Cavs went for Wade and Rose when what they really needed were guys who can shoot 3s and play defense.

There weren't a lot of those guys available this offseason for the money they had.

22 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Im getting tired of these ESPN talks about complacency and lack of effort. The Cavs are old as fuck, they have old men legs and it shows. No pep talk or tactics are gonna fix this.

Yep, and it will only get worse after James leaves.

It's still way too early to tell, but Kyrie might ultimately have been right to cut bait and leave early.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

On another note, I wouldn't be shocked if the Wolves didn't have any All-Stars this year. There's just too many mouths to feed. They have nine guys you can feed the ball to. 

So I guess you're trying to say they are

*Puts on sunglasses*

Hungry Like the Wolf?

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So I guess you're trying to say they are

*Puts on sunglasses*

Hungry Like the Wolf?

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Let's see you try and put those sunglasses on after we beat the brakes off of your Dubs on Wednesday. 

10 hours ago, Mexal said:

That is nuts. Some seriously high level play going on right now.

I'm just having a hard time not getting excited over the Zinger. Last night, Knicks were down by like 17 and they climbed back in the 4th quarter to win the game. Porzingis had 40 pts on 15/24 shooting, 8 rebounds and 6 blocks. Two night earlier, he had 37 pts in 31 minutes on 13/22 shooting.

Based on early returns, Zinger and Giannis have made the leap this year. The East is looking more fun than anticipated. 

Also a reminder that the 76ers could've had Zinger. And would've if Hinkie stuck to his purest vision. And maybe that costs them Simmons later on but I believe in their ability to tank through any adversity including extreme talent.  Hell, Hinkie also coulda had Giannis (though it's harder to blame him for that one). Still a lineup featuring Simmons, Giannis, Zinger and Embiid was possible. All it would have taken is keeping Giannis in a Hannibal Lecter mask on the sidelines for two years. 

But now I suddenly really want to see that lineup play together in the All Star game. Maybe with Lebron. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Also a reminder that the 76ers could've had Zinger. And would've if Hinkie stuck to his purest vision. And maybe that costs them Simmons later on but I believe in their ability to tank through any adversity including extreme talent.  Hell, Hinkie also coulda had Giannis (though it's harder to blame him for that one). Still a lineup featuring Simmons, Giannis, Zinger and Embiid was possible. All it would have taken is keeping Giannis in a Hannibal Lecter mask on the sidelines for two years. 

But now I suddenly really want to see that lineup play together in the All Star game. Maybe with Lebron. 

I brought this up last week.  I believe Kristaps would have added 8 more wins to that 2015-2016 Sixers team.  Okafor missed a good chunk of the season, so did Kristaps, but not as many games as Okafor.  

Those 8 wins would've made the Sixers fall to #2 in the draft.  And instead it would've been a dominant front court pairing of Embiid and Kristaps, with Brandon Ingram at the wing.

Archived