US Politics: flaking out and coming uncorked

DanteGabriel

21 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Murdering a woman with a car isn't breaking the law? Terrorizing Jewish people in their own house of worship isn't breaking the law?

Nazis are hiding behind the First Amendment in a blatant attempt to normalize their views. There is NOTHING normal about their views and they should never, ever be allowed to bring those views to the mainstream. Millions of people died to eradicate their horrors from the face of the Earth. Are we going to go through that again?

My grandfather fought in WWII, just like the fathers and grandfathers of most posters. He always said that the only good Nazi is a dead Nazi. Is it going to come to that?

Are you aware that the US after  WWII  The US recruited Ex Nazis to set up counter intelligence network to deal with the Soviets?  Also Joseph Stalin, the man we allied ourselves with,  killed Millions of his own people ? He was every bit evil as Hitler .

13 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Are you aware that the US after  WWII  recruited Ex Nazis to set up counter intelligence network  ? Also Joseph Stalin, the man we allied ourselves  killed Millions of his own people . Are you aware of that ?   He was every bit as Evil as Hitler.

Why does any of this matter?  How is it a counter argument to being concerned about Nazis and white supremacists becoming emboldened under Trump?

7 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Why does any of this matter?  How is it a counter argument to being concerned about Nazis and white supremacists becoming emboldened under Trump?

Yeah i don't understand that point either. Also Governments of every single country have always had to ally themselves with less savory elements in order to either keep stability or to maintain some big picture strategy. Seems utopian to expect those in power to only be friends with people who are neutral / good! 

23 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I was responding to his comment and yes It is relevant to this comment.

Do you think the First Amendment apples to everyone or do you think there should be exceptions ?

14 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Yeah i don't understand that point either. Also Governments of every single country have always had to ally themselves with less savory elements in order to either keep stability or to maintain some big picture strategy. Seems utopian to expect those in power to only be friends with people who are neutral / good! 

It's called making a devils bargain for the greater good. 

9 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

So what's the greater good of allying with white supremacists?

And yes the.first amendment applies to everyone.  But even the ACLU has said they won't defend people protesting/marching/assembling while armed.

I was referring our alliance with the Russians in WWII

And no they should not be allowed to be armed in public.   But they have the right to police protection and legal protection  so long as they follow the law.  If they  break the law and engage in violence and cause the loss of life and destruction of property, then they should be subject to prosecution under the law and  imprisonment and fines.

8 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, to the first bit, you're right and i was wrong, these aren't federal charges. It turns out the 12-Life sentence I saw is actually North Carolina's sentence limits for Murder 2, so it looks like your 5-40 is correct. As you say, the sentences from the multiple malicious wounding and aggravated malicious wounding potentially add up to a lot more than that, assuming he doesn't get to serve that time concurrently. 

Yeah, it's 5-40.

Source: https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter4/section18.2-32/

As a general practice, if you want to look up legislation or criminal/civil penalties, it's best to just go to the government's website that documents the legislation directly. 

Really, there's no way for us to know at this point how much prison time Fields is going to get. Both the the District Attorney (in the case of a plea agreement) and the judge (in the case of a jury conviction) have a lot of latitude in their sentencing discretion. 

The fact is that, if the 70-year charges story is true, that is absurd and an affront against our already troubled criminal justice system. I haven't personally verified the accuracy/details of that story, though. 

14 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I never said it didn't matter, I said throwing out the mere possibility that HRC is going to be tried and executed is patently ridiculous. I will gladly bet you my mortgage payment that HRC never sees the inside of a courtroom on the back of anything this administration or this Congress throws at her. I will happily bet you the full value of my home that she is not executed. 

How about others being jailed and maybe executed, for the same reasons, by the same people, who may not have quite the connections that HRC has? 

You are focusing in HRC as a deflection for what is going on right now to real people by These, as with the kinds of sentences those who have been arrested for protesting anything from the immigration bans, the arrests of Dreamers

Nor should we ignore forget the unreported deaths from the hurricanes that destroyed Puerto Rico.  Nearly a thousand bodies have been cremated in the last weeks, categorized as 'natural deaths' -- not statistics from the climate catastrophe -- never examined by a coroner or anyone else for that matter. 

People who are responsible for pretending these deaths have nothing to do with the hostile, deliberate neglect of the millions of US citizens still trapped on Puerto Rico without food, water, power, medical care or any other relief certainly don't flinch from executing a perceived political enemy.  In fact for them everyone is a political enemy who isn't Them, and thus deserve elimination by any means available. 

I was focusing on HRC because that was the example you used. I understand your underlying point here. It does appear pretty obvious that this administration is willing to pervert the legal system to some nefarious means. I agree with you on that point. I was calling your example out as being extremely hyperbolic, to the point that it could never realistically occur.

40 minutes ago, Zorral said:

How about others being jailed and maybe executed, for the same reasons, by the same people, who may not have quite the connections that HRC has?  

Who is being executed for political reasons right now?

6 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Are you aware that the US after  WWII  The US recruited Ex Nazis to set up counter intelligence network to deal with the Soviets?  Also Joseph Stalin, the man we allied ourselves with,  killed Millions of his own people ? He was every bit evil as Hitler .

Oh look, whataboutism deflect. It's disgusting also also very telling how you do this all the time.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I was focusing on HRC because that was the example you used. I understand your underlying point here. It does appear pretty obvious that this administration is willing to pervert the legal system to some nefarious means. I agree with you on that point. I was calling your example out as being extremely hyperbolic, to the point that it could never realistically occur.

I agree with you. They can try to investigate, try to bring charges but she didn't do anything wrong and there is nothing they can do to manufacture that in the court of law. Everything they do and say is to win the court of public opinion, keep their loyal fanbase behind them and distract from the shit storm that is going to hit them next week.

21 hours ago, Altherion said:

How many people concerned about the alt-right have spoken out against illegal immigration or "diversity" initiatives in hiring or the suppression of speech on taxpayer-funded campuses or any other of the topics which brought Bannon & Co. to prominence?

Most of these are bullshit though.
"Diversity initiatives in hiring" : although it's a thing, do you have any numbers to show that it is statistically significant in the US? I think I asked you already but I don't remember whether you delivered.
"Suppression of speech on taxpayer-funded campuses" : well, for starters, public funding for universities has been steadily going down in the last decades and as far as I can tell, it's not certain that US campuses are primarily tax-funded anymore. As for suppression of speech, again, is this really statistically significant? Because as far as I can tell, universities do welcome all kinds fo speakers ; the fact that some elicit protests might be seen as "suppression of speech" but then, not all forms speech are acceptable...

10 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Wonder if ongoing work means after all power is up?

According to many of our NY Puerto Rican amigos down on the island doing relief work, nothing is going on to speak of At ALL.  Someone tried to show progress by stating 70% of power had been restored to 30% of a region.  Our amigos call bs on that too.

58 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I agree with you. They can try to investigate, try to bring charges but she didn't do anything wrong and there is nothing they can do to manufacture that in the court of law. Everything they do and say is to win the court of public opinion, keep their loyal fanbase behind them and distract from the shit storm that is going to hit them next week.

Yes and people constantly called out those of us who were quite sure that the orange would be inaugurated as POTUS too as unrealistic and hyperbolic.  Just as back starting with Reagan the women who anxiously pointed out that his administration was making war on women's rights including abortion and other reproductive rights -- and they said that could never happen now with Roe v. Wade as the law of the land.

Right and wrong have NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING now.  If they did, the orange wouldn't be in the oval office, for starters.

Archived