The Last Jedi (Spoilers): Force-Choke or Tour-de-Force?

Bronn Stone

Kathleen Kennedy can't really believe the bullshit she is peddling can she? She realizes GOT is all based on GRRM's work doesn't she?

“Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”    :huh:

8 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Kathleen Kennedy can't really believe the bullshit she is peddling can she? She realizes GOT is all based on GRRM's work doesn't she?

“Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”    :huh:

Let’s give them some credit; they created ‘complex characters’ such as the marvellous Talisa Stark, after all!

3 hours ago, Relic said:

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.” .......

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No. 

Lol. This has been greeted with enthusiasm by one particular demographic on twitter and hated by everyone else from what I've seen. Maybe they're trying to pander to the group that's been hating on the SW movies for being too SJW?

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

I have to believe that's pure PR spin and not her own opinion, but I don't understand why she'd be on board with it in the first place. But she's seemed like she has a decent grasp of things so far, and her decisions to can the original Directors of Solo and Trevorrow from EpIX after The Book of Henry all seemed sound. So I'm just confused.

7 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I have to believe that's pure PR spin and not her own opinion, but I don't understand why she'd be on board with it in the first place. But she's seemed like she has a decent grasp of things so far, and her decisions to can the original Directors of Solo and Trevorrow from EpIX after The Book of Henry all seemed sound. So I'm just confused.

I don t know why you think she has a grasp on things. 

First she let ryan Johnson basically do whatever he wanted with epVIII. We are talking about a dude that made 2 good movies? Did he have the experience to desserve so many liberties?

Then after TLJ being by far the most devisive star wars movie ever. She anounces ryan will direct a whole trilogy? I mean isn t something wrong here? I could see her hiring ryan for solo star war movies, but a trilogy? And announce it so close to lauching TLJ? It will only bring backlash...

It was actually announced before TLJ released not afterwards. And the divisiveness that I've seen only exists in certain communities that don't represent that many people compared to the total audience. As I personally loved TLJ and have said so several times in these threads and we're talking about my opinion on what is good decision making...I'm not going to consider more of what I loved to be a bad thing.

5 minutes ago, karaddin said:

It was actually announced before TLJ released not afterwards. And the divisiveness that I've seen only exists in certain communities that don't represent that many people compared to the total audience. As I personally loved TLJ and have said so several times in these threads and we're talking about my opinion on what is good decision making...I'm not going to consider more of what I loved to be a bad thing.

If you go to rotten tomatoes or even imdb the movie score is very divisive. Based on most statistics that I know the number of people that liked the movie was the same number of people that disliked the movie.

Completly ignoring my personal opinion about the movie I don t think it makes sense to advertise ryan Johnson as the director of a new trilogy so close to TLJ because it will allienate a considerable percentage of the fans. Even 2 or 3 years from now it might be bad publicity for a star wars movie to be associated with ryan. It will need a very well done advertisement strategy...

8 minutes ago, divica said:

If you go to rotten tomatoes or even imdb the movie score is very divisive. Based on most statistics that I know the number of people that liked the movie was the same number of people that disliked the movie.

Completly ignoring my personal opinion about the movie I don t think it makes sense to advertise ryan Johnson as the director of a new trilogy so close to TLJ because it will allienate a considerable percentage of the fans. Even 2 or 3 years from now it might be bad publicity for a star wars movie to be associated with ryan. It will need a very well done advertisement strategy...

It has made $614M domestic and $706M foreign for a total of $1.32B in the 7.6 weeks since it was released. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars8.htm

Maybe it's time to give up with your personal axe grinding and acknowledge the movie was very successful (and that his name is spelled "Rian").

5 minutes ago, Week said:

It has made $614M domestic and $706M foreign for a total of $1.32B in the 7.6 weeks since it was released. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars8.htm

Maybe it's time to give up with your personal axe grinding and acknowledge the movie was very successful (and that his name is spelled "Rian").

It isn t a personal axe. I am just looking at the score of the movie wich is rather low. 

In adition how do those numbers compare with TFA? around 2/3 no? Is that normal? Is it normal how the movie failed in china?

23 minutes ago, divica said:

It isn t a personal axe. I am just looking at the score of the movie wich is rather low. 

In adition how do those numbers compare with TFA? around 2/3 no? Is that normal? Is it normal how the movie failed in china?

Yes.

21 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

All of these things are normal for the second movie in a trilogy

Star Wars does not do well in China, they have never seen the OT over there. TFA is considered a fluke.

And really, we still bringing up the RT user scores?.

Tell me a sucessfull trilogy where the second movie generates less Money than the first. 

ps I don t know why you tell that is normal when I have just checked several trilogies and it simply didn t happen

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Star Wars 4-6?

Star Wars 1-3?

And the prequel trilogy was a succesful trilogy? Nobody likes it... People hated the first 2 movies...

And the original was done nearly 40 years ago. The cinema has changed a lot over that time.

Can t you find some succesful trilogy in the last decade where the second movie earned less Money than the first?

37 minutes ago, divica said:

Tell me a sucessfull trilogy where the second movie generates less Money than the first. 

ps I don t know why you tell that is normal when I have just checked several trilogies and it simply didn t happen

Besides the other 2 Star Wars trilogies as mentioned, there is the Indiana Jones's off the top of my head.   I'm curious as what you think are successful trilogies where it actually happened as you seem to think it happened.

EDIT: Or really any recent trilogy at all.

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Is it really that surprising TFA made more money? It was the first Star Wars film in a decade. 

It's not. It was a huge cultural event, and no one (sane) was actually expecting TLJ to make as much.

Interestingly I'm trying to think of trilogies from the past 20 years or so and I can;t come up with anything. Everything is either part of the MCU or did poorly enough that it didn't get a second/third film.

21 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

well, if the prequels don't count as a sucessful trilogy, then no trilogy I can think of in the last 20 years or so does.

If people don t like the first movie it is normal that the second movie earns less Money. 

The first movie of the prequels wasn t a hit... It earned Money but it is generally accepted as a bad movie...

And there are lots of trilogies in recent years. The box office in the last years is completly diferente from what it was 30 or 40 years ago. That was why I asked you for a recent trilogy where it happened...

you have transformers, pirates of the carabeans, the dark knight, thor, lord of the rings...

The tendency in all these trilogies is to have the second movie earn more than the first.

Archived