Annual BwB Worldcon Gathering - LACon 2006

At Conquest in 2005, Con security regularly patrolled the party floor and evicted anyone not wearing a badge. You never know what security will be like until you actually get there. It is important that those of us who can possibly afford memberships get them so that those who simply cannot have a better chance of evading notice.

The last thing the BwB would want is to annoy the Con operations people. The reputation for throwing good parties and volunteering in numbers helps a lot, but it wouldn't be enough if they thought we were encouraging people to attend our parties without also acquiring Con memberships.

Esgred is right - we aren't going to turn anyone away for lack of badges. But we'd really rather everyone got them. Besides, who doesn't want to be IN THE ROOM when the Hugo for Best Novel is announced!!!!! :)

<sigh> with the requested $25 BwB donation and full con membership X 2 that will be $500.

I can help. I have volunteered. I am in the chess match (at least for now). But I cannot shell out $500+ at the end of my two week trip to the west. sorry kids. :(

Understandable Bale. :) To me its very simple. Joining the con is encouraged because it does offer a lot to people. But it obviously doesn't make sense for some people to get membership. And thats fine too.

I would hate if people decided not to show up at the party because they didn't have membership of the Worldcon thing. I'm unaware of us ever having negative publicity before about non members coming to the party. And considering the number of memberships we will be getting, I can't imagine it happening this time either. (Of course, anyone that attends Worldcon events will be expected to have membership).

Before every con we seem to have the same discussion and only once had a problem and that was small enough (AFAICT). Conquest took a hard line but even they didn't kick people out of the BwB party. You just couldn't wander around the hallways and presumably go to other parties. I've never been to a Worldcon where we had problems with the BwB parties.

Really, we shouldn't make a big deal of this. If people use their common sense, there wouldn't be a problem. :) I'm looking forward to seeing as many people as possible. :P

Poor Bale, what a pain. You may have to get a day pass though for the chess match cause its a con event in the convention center. The party however :cheers:

edit. my god i say though a lot :lol:

Poor Bale, what a pain. You may have to get a day pass though for the chess match cause its a con event in the convention center. The party however :cheers:

edit. my god i say though a lot :lol:

i'll try the taster pass for the match which will only be $40 for two

Question: The party is Saturday night, but what about the party on Friday night?

I thought Friday was the "closed" party...

I had another question about this - is the Friday night party in lieu of having dinner with George? After all, it'd be damned hard to get 75-100 people into a restaurant without some serious planning ahead.

I've seen no discussion of a dinner, so I'm thinking no such dinner is planned, probably due to the logistics. :)

Right, that's exactly what I was thinking. But it came up in conversation at home the other day, and I realized I hadn't heard or thought about it at all. And that was pretty much the conclusion I came to as well - logistics. A party of 20 or even 30 your typical sitdown restaurant can handle. Pushing 100? Doubt it.

<sigh> with the requested $25 BwB donation and full con membership X 2 that will be $500.

Bale

check the la con forum website, you will probably be able to find memberships from folks who have had some problem come up in their personal lives and are unable to use their memberships. Usually they just pass them on at the price they paid for them. Doing that might save you some bucks.

You have to monitor the forum, this close to the event they go fast. Put up a note yourself, see if you can find a seller.

Good luck, hope you'll be there

that's right Bros, no dinner this year, but really, is there anything in Anaheim that could compare to Mr Singh's?

The Bros have grown too big to deal with a restaurant reservation. I think if the tradition continues, it would have to go to buffett type thingy, and that means more people organizing the event.

George is pretty damn busy this year.

Sigh.

See you at the late breakfast buffet at the hotel some morning?

Mandy--So sorry you won't be able to attend!

LindaElaine--As a shy person myself, I took the con plunge at Boskone and had a blast, thanks to the warm welcome by the BWB. I don't think you'll regret coming to LA! Hope to meet you there!

Parris (and anyone else in the know)--You mentioned dressing up for the Hugos, which leads to a question. Just how dressy do people get? Is there a dress code, so to speak? Just wondering what to pack, lol!

From seeing the Hugo attendees at our parties afterwards it seems there is no general dress code. People attending the hugos do tend to dress up. We've seen men in Tuxedo's and women in gowns, to just a plain suit and a nice dress.

Its basically whatever you're comfy in. I love google. last years hugo winners

Mandy--Glad you're still going!

And it looks like we'll all have to rethink our packing plans. Every report I read is different--some say no liquids at all, some say liquid items are okay as long as you check them. We had been planning on just one carry on bag each, but that may change now.

Ok for those that have been to these things before I need some help:

So I am making a packing list and I want to make sure I get everything. Is there anything that comes up that you have learned is a needed item? Like advil for the next morning, tape or maybe a kitchen timer? I dont plan on bringing the kitchen sink cause I am only bringing a carry on bag. :lol:

I plan on going somewhere once I get there for the alcohol so hopefully there is some place close or someone can give me a ride.

Where can I go to get clarification on the con membership? Like Bale, I am in the Human Chess Match, so I need to know if I need to get a full membership or daily or whatever.

Plus, I don't like getting kicked out of parties, nor do I want to spend hours in line getting a pass the day of. (Like DragonCon..Disaster!) :)

I will probably get the full membership, but I want to be sure before I send in my money.

Archived