What if walder frey died before wot5k

History

What if walder frey died before the war of five kings?would it be civil war over who should be lord of the crossing or would it a peacel transition to his heir stevron ?how would this affect war of five kings?

It would be a peaceful transition. He was the clear, groomed, and recognized heir.

Probably similar to how it happened already but with the initial price to Robb being less and the reticence of Frey to commit an actual red wedding. Why sully the wanting honor of your house if you can get a pardon and possibly lands and money to prevent them from crossing up north. Robb would be unable to take the Twins per his own words and crossing down by the Ruby Ford just means running into the crown's huge armies.

I'm not sure on the honesty of Stevron if he was the Lord of the Twins by the time Robb came down south. He is sorrounded by a lot of possible heirs, and that pressure could have made him be as an ass his father was to the Starks. In the end, I believe Walder acted for the best interest of his numerous family. Any lord Frey would, considering the fragile equilibrium that family is in.

Let's say that the Frey keep the peace internally after the passing of Walder. Wouldn't all the different families the Freys are married into start jockeying for their relatives to take over the Twins?

I could see a scenario in with a conflict over The Twins becomes the spark for a Westerosi civil war.

Stevron is one of the most honourable Freys they have which still doesnt say much but at least there is NO RW, and I believe Robb could have offered Sansa or Arya as a mariage to the Freys instead of himself since that seems a little more a fair match and Stevron would be doing his duty to his liege lord Edmure in helping the North end the siege on RR so its a win win. Walder hates the Tullys which is why he didnt just allow Robb to help his uncle Edmure from the beginning. 

Stevron sends his levies to Riverrun instead of holding on to them, Edmure being himself still suffers his defeat and now Robb has 3k fewer men at the start. This isn't necessarily a change for the worse though. Being less confident with his fewer numbers he may appoint someone other than Roose or may give more strict orders to ensure preserving men. 

10 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Stevron sends his levies to Riverrun instead of holding on to them, Edmure being himself still suffers his defeat and now Robb has 3k fewer men at the start. This isn't necessarily a change for the worse though. Being less confident with his fewer numbers he may appoint someone other than Roose or may give more strict orders to ensure preserving men. 

Jason Mallister also didn't send his army with Edmure; I don't think Walder refused to send his men only because he hates the Tullys. It really seems that Edmure decided to fight Jaime too earlier.

With Stevron in charge, Robb may be able to cross the Twins without having to make any deal.

32 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Jason Mallister also didn't send his army with Edmure; I don't think Walder refused to send his men only because he hates the Tullys. It really seems that Edmure decided to fight Jaime too earlier.

With Stevron in charge, Robb may be able to cross the Twins without having to make any deal.

The Freys and the Mallisters were the two farthest vassals from Riverrun and they have to march through awful land just south of Seagard. There might be some truth to Edmure fighting before he was ready (aka had his banners). The Freys wouldn't march without great recompense (eg Robb) or knowing what would play out (eg the Trident). Jason Mallister is prideful man known for his honor according to Catelyn and Tyrion. It would seem to me that he didn't have enough time to get there before his men mustered and Edmure lost.

18 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

The Freys and the Mallisters were the two farthest vassals from Riverrun and they have to march through awful land just south of Seagard. There might be some truth to Edmure fighting before he was ready (aka had his banners). The Freys wouldn't march without great recompense (eg Robb) or knowing what would play out (eg the Trident). Jason Mallister is prideful man known for his honor according to Catelyn and Tyrion. It would seem to me that he didn't have enough time to get there before his men mustered and Edmure lost.

That is the reason that I brough Jason Mallister to the topic. No one doubt his loyality or his badassery, and still after Edmure's defeat he also keep his force until Robb show up.

From the little we see from Stevron he seems more honorable than his father. I don't know if he would still block Robb's march, but even if the deal is made and broked later on I don't think that the Red Wedding would have happen.

If no RW but with the Freys leaving the field do you think Robb would surrender for Tommen? it's pretty clear that the war was lost at that point, Robb would never surrender to Joffrey, but what about Tommen?

On 5/15/2018 at 4:21 AM, History said:

What if walder frey died before the war of five kings?would it be civil war over who should be lord of the crossing or would it a peacel transition to his heir stevron ?how would this affect war of five kings?

Likely a peaceful transition as the realm was at peace. Plus the prospective Frey civil war comes from the grandsons of Stevron, they have no reason to challenge him inheriting Walder's Lordship. 

It is unclear of how this would affect the war as we have little knowledge of Stevron's leadership and personality. But he may have been even closer to the Tywin and the West than his own father due to his second wife, a Lydden, and Emmon 

"With Renly arming, likely Lord Tywin would welcome a truce … and the safe return of his son. Noble lords, allow me to go to him at Harrenhal and arrange good terms and ransoms …"

While Walder seemed bitter that Tywin did not try to woo him Stevron may have been more pragmatic over the situation and with fewer children and granddchilddren than his father may not have been as ready to risk everything to marry a granddaughter or  great granddaughter to Robb. 

Archived