Unpopular Opinions, Part Deux

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

I don’t like cake.

Bourbon’s only purpose is as a raw material for Scotch barrels.

The US Civil War was actually the second slavelord rebellion.

Bourbon is delicious. Cake is also mostly delicious.

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I -- and many scholars -- will agree with you about the second slavelord rebellion.  After all, the official name in the government archives is "The War of the Rebellion."  A lot us also see this war as the first Revolutionary War as actual systems were changed due to it.

I don't agree with you about the non-hilly Ottoman Empire.  That empire was big and it lasted for a long time and had a LOT of hills. In fact, that's where Osman began -- the HILLS of western Anatolia.  The empire also had lots of mountains and rivers, as well as plains and plateaus.  And languages.

As for the other discussion that matters -- I just brought home with the grocery shopping a very nice bottle of Malbec to go with tonight's pasta and salad.  Keep those nasty gins and tonics.  Though I do understand that in the UK gin has become a Thing again, as has rum (have at least 40 bottles of the good Cuban rum here at home -- it works for good gifts as I don't drink rum, don't even like it, except in Cuba or associated locations).

This might sound like a dumb question, but what is considered the first slavelord rebellion?  A google search gives me plenty of slave revolts and rebellions but not "slavelord" rebellions.

Was rum on sale that day or is it just really cheap where you are?

2 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

This might sound like a dumb question, but what is considered the first slavelord rebellion?  A google search gives me plenty of slave revolts and rebellions but not "slavelord" rebellions.

The American War of Independence. Well, considered by me, anyway.

Bourbon is delicious. Cake is also mostly delicious.

Was rum on sale that day or is it just really cheap where you are?

The first slavelord rebellion is what a lot of people think of as the war of independence. The slavelords were terrified England was going abolition and then what would THEY do>

Cuban rum is quite inexpensive for people who aren't Cubans.  One can and does receive gifts of specially aged, etc., that runs, even in Cuba, a couple of hundred US.  That stuff, I will agree, is more like drinking cognac than rum. (But I don't care for cognac much either -- beer and wine r moi.)

There are grades of cost, depending on age etc.  But the average good stuff, whether in duty-free or anywhere else, is by our standards, particularly by standards of what liquor costs in the US generally, and in this city and state particularly, quite, quite inexpensive.

9 minutes ago, Hereward said:

The American War of Independence. Well, considered by me, anyway.

That's interesting.  Obviously, Americans never refer to it that way.   Then again, the popular history of the Antebellum South has been heavily sanitized as well.

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The first slavelord rebellion is what a lot of people think of as the war of independence. The slavelords were terrified England was going abolition and then what would THEY do>

Cuban rum is quite inexpensive for people who aren't Cubans.  One can and does receive gifts of specially aged, etc., that runs, even in Cuba, a couple of hundred US.  That stuff, I will agree, is more like drinking cognac than rum. (But I don't care for cognac much either -- beer and wine r moi.)

There are grades of cost, depending on age etc.  But the average good stuff, whether in duty-free or anywhere else, is by our standards, particularly by standards of what liquor costs in the US generally, and in this city and state particularly, quite, quite inexpensive.

A lot of people in England?  I've never heard it referred to that way in either Canada or the US.

That's interesting.  Obviously, Americans never refer to it that way.   Then again, the popular history of the Antebellum South has been heavily sanitized as well.

A lot of people in England?  I've never heard it referred to that way in either Canada or the US.

You've confused something, of which I've no idea.  I was writing about artisnal rums and gins becoming a Thing in England. So I've no idea what you're talking about here.

But I will reiterate that here in the US, in US History programs and departments, most of us do regard the War of Independence to be the first war of slave holders' rebellion.  Of course, not among 'the people' in the neoconfederate - secessionist south -- except reputable scholars do agree. Just as scholars, north and south are agreed that the slaveholders' terror of abolition went right along with the north's outrage that Britain's treaties with the Native Americans included keeping the European colonists boxed on the Atlantic coast, not to move into the further western hinterlands, to keep them from effing up the very very very lucrative fur and hide trade with the Natives.  This is because farming, naturally, destroys the environment conducive for the fur bearing animals, and makes the Natives' unhappy, because it pushes them out.

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You've confused something, of which I've no idea.  I was writing about artisnal rums and gins becoming a Thing in England. So I've no idea what you're talking about here.

But I will reiterate that here in the US, in US History programs and departments, most of us do regard the War of Independence to be the first war of slave holders' rebellion.  Of course, not among 'the people' in the neoconfederate - secessionist south -- except reputable scholars do agree. Just as scholars, north and south are agreed that the slaveholders' terror of abolition went right along with the north's outrage that Britain's treaties with the Native Americans included keeping the European colonists boxed on the Atlantic coast, not to move into the further western hinterlands, to keep them from effing up the very very very lucrative fur and hide trade with the Natives.  This is because farming, naturally, destroys the environment conducive for the fur bearing animals, and makes the Natives' unhappy, because it pushes them out.

I was referring to the Revolutionary war; sorry for the confusion.  The rest is all lies anyway.  No one keeps forty bottles of rum in their home.  Or do they...

It reminds me of a conversation I had with an american friend of mine where I suggested that there were segments of the population that were really screwed by the revolutionary war. E.g. Native Americans and African slaves would have been much better off, not to mention British Loyalists.  He couldn't process it.  Not that life would have been great for them under the British, but I'd say ending slavery a generation earlier without fighting a bloody civil war is an improvement.

I know, right?  

:cheers:

Welllllllllllllllllll -- to be honest . . .  maybe, at this very moment . . .  there are only 39 bottles of Cuban rum here.  I gave a neighbor two bottles the other night when he asked if he could buy one to take to his weekend hosts at their country house, as Cuban rum is unique, and cannot be gotten here, so its a prestige gift. I was happy to give it to him. Not have him pay for it.

Have I mentioned that my neighbors love me?  :wub: 

It's illegal to import to the US.  It is legal, though, just as with Cuban cigars,* to bring back a $100 worth through customs (no more than that).  I'm in Cuba at least 4 times a year, and it can easily be more often than that.  And as I said, I don't like rum in particular and spirits in general.  Though when the time and temperature is exactly right a single great martini -- with vodka, not gin! --  or old school! margarita will be perfect, just as having a good rosé at 4:30 in Provence while the summer afternoon wears away is purrrfect.

BTW, among US scholars of the War of Independence it really is becoming more common to refer to it that way as to the Revolutionary War, because, as mentioned almost the entire legal system was kept intact and certainly slavery remained intact.  There were only two things that really changed: primogeniture was abolished and there was separation of Church and State.

It's also becoming more common, even among the more conservative gatekeeping US historians to talk of the 'persuasion' of loyalists etc., as perfectly conscious and planned terrorism to make it clear for those who honestly didn't give a damn to get it, 'you're either with us or you're against us, and if you are against us, you will suffer.'

This is not to say that the Brits, both as occupying administration and troops, and the decision makers in London, didn't provoke stupidly and often cruelly, -- and play right into the hands of the Patriots.

-----------------

* I don't even bother with cigars -- literally nobody I know, and I know lots and lots and lots of people, smoke anything at all -- other than to poke some mj now and again.

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I know, right?  

:cheers:

Welllllllllllllllllll -- to be honest . . .  maybe, at this very moment . . .  there are only 39 bottles of Cuban rum here.  I gave a neighbor two bottles the other night when he asked if he could buy one to take to his weekend hosts at their country house, as Cuban rum is unique, and cannot be gotten here, so its a prestige gift. I was happy to give it to him. Not have him pay for it.

Have I mentioned that my neighbors love me?  :wub: 

It's illegal to import to the US.  It is legal, though, just as with Cuban cigars,* to bring back a $100 worth through customs (no more than that).  I'm in Cuba at least 4 times a year, and it can easily be more often than that.  And as I said, I don't like rum in particular and spirits in general.  Though when the time and temperature is exactly right a single great martini -- with vodka, not gin! --  or old school! margarita will be perfect, just as having a good rosé at 4:30 in Provence while the summer afternoon wears away is purrrfect.

-----------------

* I don't even bother with cigars -- literally nobody I know, and I know lots and lots and lots of people, smoke anything at all -- other than to poke some mj now and again.

Going through the customs must be fun for you.

Is this a result of the shift in Cuba policy under the Obama administration or have you always been able to go to Cuba?  I thought it was virtually impossible for Americans unless they went through Europe or Canada.

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yes! One thing I love about shitty bar work in a small-ish independent business where there is a pretty relaxed relationship between staff and management is having a say in the weekly spirits order. I’ve been keeping us well stocked in my favourite gins and in gins I want to try. Whitley Neil Rasberry gin with slimline Fever Tree tonic (it MUST be fever tree) lots of ice, a slice of lemon and two raspberries. I’m partial to one (or two...) of them after a long shift.

And I also can’t stand the taste of beer, or lager, or ales, stouts etc. Bleh. Cider is good though. Very good. I try not to drink it too often though because it’s too gassy for me and also I just end up drinking it like fizzy pop so it’s a bit dangerous really

HAHhaa yesss Girl!!!! Great minds think alike :D

Tony Stark has pretty much been right all along - I completely understand his actions in Civil War.

I don't blame Quill for his fuck up in Infinity War.

I don't think Killmonger was that great a villain - in fact, he killed off a much better villain.  

56 minutes ago, Zorral said:

BTW, among US scholars of the War of Independence it really is becoming more common to refer to it that way as to the Revolutionary War, because, as mentioned almost the entire legal system was kept intact and certainly slavery remained intact.  There were only two things that really changed: primogeniture was abolished and there was separation of Church and State.

It's also becoming more common, even among the more conservative gatekeeping US historians to talk of the 'persuasion' of loyalists etc., as perfectly conscious and planned terrorism to make it clear for those who honestly didn't give a damn to get it, 'you're either with us or you're against us, and if you are against us, you will suffer.'

This is not to say that the Brits, both as occupying administration and troops, and the decision makers in London, didn't provoke stupidly and often cruelly, -- and play right into the hands of the Patriots.

-----------------

I heard somewhere that there were early attempts to establish noble houses in the new colonies but it didn't take. I don't know.

Isn't it true that the whole thing would have been avoided if King George had been a bit more flexible?  Give them the rights of full British citizens, maybe let them send their own ministers to parliament, things like that?

39 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Tony Stark has pretty much been right all along - I completely understand his actions in Civil War.

I don't blame Quill for his fuck up in Infinity War.

I don't think Killmonger was that great a villain - in fact, he killed off a much better villain.  

Spoiler

"Taking the fight to Thanos"...

...was an incomprehensibly dumb thing for that character to do, as I explained in the previous thread. Brilliant action, brilliant VFX, great character interactions, but Infinity War was a dumb movie.

Gamora:

Spoiler

...should have killed herself.  Bam! No leading Thanos to the soul stone and helping him kill half the universe and no more reason for Thanos to torture complicated-relationship-sister because it won't give him what he wants.  Gamora dies a hero instead of a chump who clearly chooses the wrong horn of a moral dilemma.

Then you write in some kind of twist where Gamora's death actually leads Thanos to the soul stone somehow.  THAT would have been interesting.

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:
  Hide contents

"Taking the fight to Thanos"...

...was an incomprehensibly dumb thing for that character to do, as I explained in the previous thread. Brillaint action, Brillaiant VFX, great character interactions, but Infinity War was a dumb movie.

Gamora:

Hide contents

...should have killed herself.  Bam! No leading Thanos to the soul stone and helping him kill half the universe and no more reason for Thanos to torture complicated-relationship-sister because it won't give him what he wants.  Gamora dies a hero instead of a chump who clearly chooses the wrong horn of a moral dilemma.

Then you write in some kind of twist where Gamora's death actually leads Thanos to the soul stone somehow.  THAT would have been interesting.

First point:

Spoiler

What was the alternative?  Fight Thanos on Earth?  OK, yes, possibly taking him an Infinity Stone was not the smartest idea.  But I think Tony was thinking he did not want Thanos on Earth.  And possibly he was semi-confident in Strange's powers to keep it safe by then.

Second point:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't really care for Gamora.  She certainly does not come across (in the films) as the Most Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy.  Nebula seems a much more interesting character.

17 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

First point:

Hide contents

What was the alternative?  Fight Thanos on Earth?  OK, yes, possibly taking him an Infinity Stone was not the smartest idea.  But I think Tony was thinking he did not want Thanos on Earth.  And possibly he was semi-confident in Strange's powers to keep it safe by then.

"Yes".

Spoiler

It's only the three of them on an unfamiliar ship with an unknown destination.  There could be a million Chitauri when the door opens at the other end (and they have no Hulk).  There might not even be oxygen at the other end.  Thanos might not even be there.  This is the same Thanos that Tony Stark and Stephen Strange were just told moments earlier "is basically the most powerful being in the universe." Plus, Strange is wearing the time stone.

If they needed to get them to Titan for the action set piece, they could have said, "We can't change course because we just "Alien Queen'd" the only guy who knew how to fly the ship." 

I am normally not that picky and I can forgive a lot for the sake of plot.  People are not robots, though I can even forgive inconsistent robots, but c'mon.

Hah! I literally spelled "brilliant" wrong twice, two different ways in the previous response.

She would be the deadliest woman in the galaxy...

Spoiler

If she saved the galaxy by killing herself. Rimshot.

Hide contents

It's only the three of them on an unfamiliar ship with an unknown destination.  There could be a million Chitauri when the door opens at the other end (and they have no Hulk).  There might not even be oxygen at the other end.  Thanos might not even be there.  This is the same Thanos that Tony Stark and Stephen Strange were just told moments earlier "is basically the most powerful being in the universe." Plus, Strange is wearing the time stone.

If they needed to get them to Titan for the action set piece, they could have said, "We can't change course because we just "Alien Queen'd" the only guy who knew how to fly the ship." 

I am normally not that picky and I can forgive a lot for the sake of plot.  People are not robots, though I can even forgive inconsistent robots, but c'mon.

Yes, I agree your second point would have been a simpler, easier solution.

But

Spoiler

I can see why Tony would want to surprise-attack Thanos.  But I especially think he wants to keep Thanos away from Earth - that seems to be his main priority - let's try and sort this in space, as we're here and have this opportunity.

Archived