NBA Free Agency 2018: Independence day, unless you're in San Antonio

Red Tiger

On 7/21/2018 at 7:26 AM, BigFatCoward said:

With the warriors potential starting 5 being so ridiculous I have 2 questions. Has any team on history had such quality all over the court, and secondly could any existing squad take any 2 players from elsewhere, and be considered favourites against them? 

To the 2nd question, I think Melo and another 3 and D guy and Houston is right there with them. I really think Melo will be a different player around Paul and Harden. A lot said the same.about playing with Russel, but Paul is a great facilitator along with Harden, and I think he can be the outside threat we see in USA teams. I just think it's a way better fit than OKC for Melo. 

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

To be fair, they've been lower on the sports totem poll than us for a long time up until that Caps winning the Stanley Cup. 

Was it the Minnesota Lynx winning all those WNBA titles that vaulted them ahead of DC?

13 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Was it the Minnesota Lynx winning all those WNBA titles that vaulted them ahead of DC?

Hey if we're counting the Lynx then we're DEFINITELY counting DC United's titles. 

14 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Damn straight! If we take away the Caps’ title this year, Minnesota sports have absolutely been better than DC sports in my lifetime. The Vikings have been a lot better than the Racial Slurs. The Twins have been better than the Nationals. I’d say the Wolves and the Bullets (Wizards are a stupid team name) are a wash, more or less with the Wizards having a slight advantage. And the Lynx are way better than the Mystics.

46 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Hey if we're counting the Lynx then we're DEFINITELY counting DC United's titles. 

We just got our MLS team. DC United don’t count.  

55 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

The Vikings have been a lot better than the Racial Slurs. The Twins have been better than the Nationals.

Wait, the Twins have been better than the Nationals? What are you smoking? Unless you're lumping in the Twins World Series title of the early 90s...which as it happened occurred the exact same year the Skins won the Superbowl (which you might've missed as a fan of a team who has never won one.) So you can have the Twins or you can have the Vikings but not both because your argument for one invalidates the other. 

But man are we really doing this? This is such an embarrassing argument to begin with, one that demeans anyone who takes part (and yet of course I STILL couldn't help weighing in ). These are two of the most tortured sports cities in America. Arguing which one has been slightly less tortured is like arguing which Soviet gulag had the nicest accommodations.

Can we agree it sucks to be a fan of either sports city? Can we find common ground in that others will never fully understand the up-at-dawn, pride-swallowing siege of what it's like to have to root for and defend Kirk Cousins? Can we do that?  Or we gonna do this? :box:

10 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Can we agree it sucks to be a fan of either sports city?

Caring even a little bit about DC United helps some.  Also caring about ultimate, where DC has won two womens and one men's titles  in the past 5 years (and I saw all of those games and know those players). 

Also, the Caps won.  We don't need to do this any more.  The hypothetical "if you ignore the Caps title" isn't even worth entertaining. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Caring even a little bit about DC United helps some.  Also caring about ultimate, where DC has won two womens and one men's titles  in the past 5 years (and I saw all of those games and know those players). 

Also, the Caps won.  We don't need to do this any more.  The hypothetical "if you ignore the Caps title" isn't even worth entertaining. 

Is Ultimate on TV anywhere? I would watch that shit. Why don't we have the Ocho yet? 

Just now, Jaime L said:

Is Ultimate on TV anywhere? I would watch that shit. Why don't we have the Ocho yet? 

I mostly watch it online.  I'll send you a link when I know of a good game coming up.  Worlds was just this past weekend. 

In actual NBA news, Kevin Love signed a four year extension with the Cavs.  Unsurprising following the Channing Frye signing (which was a pretty good indication Love wasn't going anywhere immediately), but still.

5 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Wait, the Twins have been better than the Nationals? What are you smoking? Unless you're lumping in the Twins World Series title of the early 90s...which as it happened occurred the exact same year the Skins won the Superbowl (which you might've missed as a fan of a team who has never won one.) So you can have the Twins or you can have the Vikings but not both because your argument for one invalidates the other. 

Key phrase: in my life time. So really I don't count either team's runs in the later 80's and early 90's. The Twins have been bad lately, but they had a long run where they were trendy World Series predictions. And while the Nationals are good now, they were bad for a good stretch, even excluding the Expos days. 

But man are we really doing this? This is such an embarrassing argument to begin with, one that demeans anyone who takes part (and yet of course I STILL couldn't help weighing in ). These are two of the most tortured sports cities in America. Arguing which one has been slightly less tortured is like arguing which Soviet gulag had the nicest accommodations.

Can we agree it sucks to be a fan of either sports city? Can we find common ground in that others will never fully understand the up-at-dawn, pride-swallowing siege of what it's like to have to root for and defend Kirk Cousins? Can we do that?  Or we gonna do this? :box:

An armistice can be had so long as we both agree to mock Jace.

Also, it’s July. There just isn’t a lot to talk about sports wise unless you’re a big baseball fan. This is the time of year when debates are largely manufactured. Otherwise all you’ve really got is killing time till football starts while praying you don’t get a push notice saying one of your key players just tore up their knee. Those drip-drip Bridgewater updates were horrifying.

“Bridgewater goes down in practice”

“Bridgewater suffered a non-contact knee injury”

“Teammates described it as sickening”

“Doctors fear he could lose his leg”

Not a fun time. Also, I didn’t even know you could lose your leg from back peddling…..

2 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Not a fun time. Also, I didn’t even know you could lose your leg from back peddling…..

I'm sure this is some bizarre dig at me though as I'm only conversational, not fluent, in Minnesotan I don't think I get it. 

4 hours ago, Jaime L said:

I'm sure this is some bizarre dig at me though as I'm only conversational, not fluent, in Minnesotan I don't think I get it. 

No... Teddy shredded his knee so badly it tore arteries, doctors thought they might have to amputate.  The trainers on the field are credited with saving his leg.

8 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Key phrase: in my life time. So really I don't count either team's runs in the later 80's and early 90's. The Twins have been bad lately, but they had a long run where they were trendy World Series predictions. And while the Nationals are good now, they were bad for a good stretch, even excluding the Expos days. 

An armistice can be had so long as we both agree to mock Jace.

Also, it’s July. There just isn’t a lot to talk about sports wise unless you’re a big baseball fan. This is the time of year when debates are largely manufactured. Otherwise all you’ve really got is killing time till football starts while praying you don’t get a push notice saying one of your key players just tore up their knee. Those drip-drip Bridgewater updates were horrifying.

“Bridgewater goes down in practice”

“Bridgewater suffered a non-contact knee injury”

“Teammates described it as sickening”

“Doctors fear he could lose his leg”

The only piece that will be had is 'dat ass after I get a hold of you.

Archived