TTTNE 474 - The Thread That Never Dies But Rises Stronger

RhaenysBee

@Meera of Tarth get well soon!!! It’s that stupid time of the year when everybody is sick. I stayed home for two days this week and for now it seems like my sinusitis cleared up, but then who knows what else we’ll infect each other with at the office. Hope you’re feeling better already. 

So dear people of the thread that never ends, help a girl out with her furnishing problems. Illustration. where do I put that shelf? Or do I take it back to the other room and don’t put it anywhere? Thank you for your input in advance <3 

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

@Meera of Tarth get well soon!!! It’s that stupid time of the year when everybody is sick. I stayed home for two days this week and for now it seems like my sinusitis cleared up, but then who knows what else we’ll infect each other with at the office. Hope you’re feeling better already. 

So dear people of the thread that never ends, help a girl out with her furnishing problems. Illustration. where do I put that shelf? Or do I take it back to the other room and don’t put it anywhere? Thank you for your input in advance <3 

First and second photo are the same position, right? I say that.

I really like your furniture, the colours make the room look so warm.

8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Thanks! Yeah, that part of the year. Yeah, I'm feeling a little bit better, but it's still painful and don't have much of a voice :P

My only complain is that I run out of my aphonia pills this weekend, which are what lets me sleep for the pain, and since I go to the town at the weekends, and it's quite a small village, the pharmacy was only selling things if they were urgent (they were on call, they only opened for that purpose).  So I called them and they said they'd not sell me that...so I had to drive to the nearest city. Quite annoying...

I hope you recover soon from the sinusitis as well!

I'd put it near the desk, in the same room, behind if you have a wall or next to, maybe with some empty space in between the desk and the shelf to put something else like a painting.

PS: I had not seen the other photos, just the first. Okay, I have the same thoughts, I think it looks better near the area of the desk. But if it had to be next to the door, I'd put it just like the first pic, not behind.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I had exactly the same thought. I love the colours, and they look very well with the floor and the walls.

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Questions, I have. And I think how you answer them for yourself leads you to your answer.

That door in these photos leads to the hallway? I see a keyhole.

If you put the shelf facing the door, people entering your apartment or passing by when the door is open will see the shelf & its contents. Do you want that? Will you be putting stuff on it that sends a message about yourself, or that puts a smile on the face of someone seeing it?

If you put the shelf behind the door it faces into the room where you will see it more - maybe not from the desk, but elsewhere in the room. Is that what you'd prefer? Are you going to put colorful stuff on it that will cheer you up and make you happy to see it? Or maybe you'll put stuff on it that you want to remember before going out - scarves, mittens, car keys, whatever?

Is there stuff you'd put on it that would otherwise clutter up your desk? Or that's handy to have close by?

I hope all these questions have been useful & not obnoxious. Good luck!

31 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Thanks! Yeah, that part of the year. Yeah, I'm feeling a little bit better, but it's still painful and don't have much of a voice :P

My only complain is that I run out of my aphonia pills this weekend, which are what lets me sleep for the pain, and since I go to the town at the weekends, and it's quite a small village, the pharmacy was only selling things if they were urgent (they were on call, they only opened for that purpose).  So I called them and they said they'd not sell me that...so I had to drive to the nearest city. Quite annoying...

Good grief. What a pain. I had a similar not so good pharmacy experience here - big company. It was for a friend who had just been diagnosed with diabetes and had already started taking insulin in hospital and needed more plus a glucometer. They told her, "not till Monday. Nobody in the office to approve it." This on a Saturday. Fortunately, my friend called her nurse at the hospital and the nurse called the pharmacy and yelled at them a bit. It worked and my friend got the stuff. But sheesh!!!

I'm sorry so many of you have colds and illness going around. We've dodged that bullet for now, knock wood.

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

So dear people of the thread that never ends, help a girl out with her furnishing problems. Illustration. where do I put that shelf?

Facing into the room, but as far away from the door as possible, ie from photo #3, move it left instead of right.

2 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Good grief. What a pain. I had a similar not so good pharmacy experience here - big company. It was for a friend who had just been diagnosed with diabetes and had already started taking insulin in hospital and needed more plus a glucometer. They told her, "not till Monday. Nobody in the office to approve it." This on a Saturday. Fortunately, my friend called her nurse at the hospital and the nurse called the pharmacy and yelled at them a bit. It worked and my friend got the stuff. But sheesh!!!

I'm sorry so many of you have colds and illness going around. We've dodged that bullet for now, knock wood.

That is absolutley nuts!, I’m glad your friend was ok and I’m glad that pharmacist got shouted at, good on your friends nurse.

Rhae, I don’t like the shelves where they are, that is a stubbed toe waiting to happen, or maybe I’m just somewhat of a clumsy Sith!.

Meera, I hope you feel better soon, I had a cold recently too and ugh I hate them, I’m sure you will be back on your feet soon :).

I’m picking up my new car tomorrow, and yeah ok I’m slightly excited :commie:.

2 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

That's the kind of things that are not normal....in that case that was urgent!

Actually, the mother of a friend from town told me something similar today. She had some kind of allergy in the lips and she called the phramacy, but they told her that without a medical prescription they could not open the phramacy even if they were on call. When, in fact, you don't need prescriptions for that, if you're allergic… (but on a Saturday afternoon, if they are on call they Will only sell you something IF there's a medical prescription there).

Then, she went to the hospital and they asked her why they had not given her the antihistamines. When she arrived at the hospital the thing had got worse. I'm talking about the same pharmacy of this village…. <_<

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Thank you, though I’d say the room still badly needs some wall decor. 

4 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I hope you recover soon from the sinusitis as well!

I'd put it near the desk, in the same room, behind if you have a wall or next to, maybe with some empty space in between the desk and the shelf to put something else like a painting.

PS: I had not seen the other photos, just the first. Okay, I have the same thoughts, I think it looks better near the area of the desk. But if it had to be next to the door, I'd put it just like the first pic, not behind.

I had exactly the same thought. I love the colours, and they look very well with the floor and the walls.

That’s really annoying. It happened to us all the time when I was a kid too, because the pharmacy in my hometown would be open 8am- 4pm on weekdays with limited supplies. If you needed anything at the weekend or something more complex than vitamin, cough syrup or ibuprofen, you were looking at a 20 minute drive to the next town at least. One of the drawbacks of living in the country. 

The trouble is, there isn’t any wall space next to the desk. This is a tiny and awkwardly shaped room as it’s basically the leftover... how do you say wohnfläche in English? Anyway, it’s quite difficult to furnish. 

3 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Questions, I have. And I think how you answer them for yourself leads you to your answer.

That door in these photos leads to the hallway? I see a keyhole.

If you put the shelf facing the door, people entering your apartment or passing by when the door is open will see the shelf & its contents. Do you want that? Will you be putting stuff on it that sends a message about yourself, or that puts a smile on the face of someone seeing it?

If you put the shelf behind the door it faces into the room where you will see it more - maybe not from the desk, but elsewhere in the room. Is that what you'd prefer? Are you going to put colorful stuff on it that will cheer you up and make you happy to see it? Or maybe you'll put stuff on it that you want to remember before going out - scarves, mittens, car keys, whatever?

Is there stuff you'd put on it that would otherwise clutter up your desk? Or that's handy to have close by?

I hope all these questions have been useful & not obnoxious. Good luck!

Oh no, not obnoxious at all, thank you so much for the input. 

The thing is that I don’t actually want to put anything in particular onto this shelf. It’s not somethhing I ever wanted to have in this room. The long term plan was/is to maybe have a fitted closet behind the door for storage (mainly for drying racks, Christmas tree and ornaments), but now I’m not even sure about that.

Generally where you see the shelf in the first pictures (facing the door), I would put something like this (just not in pink - and no, it’s not useless, it’s great for storing bedding sets) with a picture hanging above it. The whole shelf issue arose because my flatmate moved out and left this shelf behind and I was thinking maybe I could actually make use of it. I guess I could still put Christmas stuff on it in some pretty looking closed storage boxes and maybe a file box or two. I don’t think I want to display anything pretty on it. 

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

Rhae, I don’t like the shelves where they are, that is a stubbed toe waiting to happen, or maybe I’m just somewhat of a clumsy Sith!.

No, me neither. Hence the whole issue. It’s just too big and bulky for such a tiny space. 

Thank you all for your help with the shelf problem.  :cheers: 

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Thank you, though I’d say the room still badly needs some wall decor. 

That’s really annoying. It happened to us all the time when I was a kid too, because the pharmacy in my hometown would be open 8am- 4pm on weekdays with limited supplies. If you needed anything at the weekend or something more complex than vitamin, cough syrup or ibuprofen, you were looking at a 20 minute drive to the next town at least. One of the drawbacks of living in the country. 

I guess so. I suppose I'm just to accustomed to living in the city that I found the whole situation quite exasperating. Then again, there's nothing like breathing fresh air away from the pollution and seeing the mountains nearby.

The trouble is, there isn’t any wall space next to the desk. This is a tiny and awkwardly shaped room as it’s basically the leftover... how do you say wohnfläche in English? Anyway, it’s quite difficult to furnish. 

Then well, I suppose that anywhere next to the door will be ok with whatever you choose to put there. Maybe something to decorate it apart from books.

I had to check it out. I didn't know but the "wohn"part and the "ä" instantly reminded me of my German course. It says "living space".

Do you speak German? How I miss my language courses. But I could not continue at this moment if I want to focus on the Master. Too bad. I left my German with just a basic level.

It was so so fun...

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

The thing is that I don’t actually want to put anything in particular onto this shelf. It’s not somethhing I ever wanted to have in this room. The long term plan was/is to maybe have a fitted closet behind the door for storage (mainly for drying racks, Christmas tree and ornaments), but now I’m not even sure about that.

Generally where you see the shelf in the first pictures (facing the door), I would put something like this (just not in pink - and no, it’s not useless, it’s great for storing bedding sets) with a picture hanging above it. The whole shelf issue arose because my flatmate moved out and left this shelf behind and I was thinking maybe I could actually make use of it. I guess I could still put Christmas stuff on it in some pretty looking closed storage boxes and maybe a file box or two. I don’t think I want to display anything pretty on it. 

I am sure this shelf will be full before you expect it. ;) Storage space is something that is always missing!

7 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Then again, there's nothing like breathing fresh air away from the pollution and seeing the mountains nearby.

Or you know, you live in the middle of the capital and still see the mountains as long as it is not so foggy. ;)

Hashtag livinginastampsizedcountry.

10 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I guess so. I suppose I'm just to accustomed to living in the city that I found the whole situation quite exasperating. Then again, there's nothing like breathing fresh air away from the pollution and seeing the mountains nearby.

Then well, I suppose that anywhere next to the door will be ok with whatever you choose to put there. Maybe something to decorate it apart from books.

I had to check it out. I didn't know but the "wohn"part and the "ä" instantly reminded me of my German course. It says "living space".

Do you speak German? How I miss my language courses. But I could not continue at this moment if I want to focus on the Master. Too bad. I left my German with just a basic level.

It was so so fun...

Yeah I agree. I really miss the countryside. The fresh air, the greenery and the country smells and the overall cleanliness. The city is filthy and stinky. (And it’s a stamp sized one, I can’t imagine what a metropolis must smell like) 

Nah, I studied German in high school and did a language exam and then I forgot it all. But to this day there are certain words that pop into my mind in German and I can’t remember the English equivalent for my life. 

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am sure this shelf will be full before you expect it. ;) Storage space is something that is always missing!

Or you know, you live in the middle of the capital and still see the mountains as long as it is not so foggy. ;)

Yeah I guess I’ll pop the Christmas stuff onto it in some closed boxes. At least I’ll free some space in the... that cabinet where I keep cleaning supplies. Why has my vocabulary disappeared? I need to read a book. 

You can’t see the mountains from here but we have lots of hills within the city. Does that count? 

Well, new car collected, it is really nice but I’m quite confused at all the menus and options at the moment, I did get the salesperson to show me but I think I’m going to need actually read the owners manual, baby Sith seems to have given it her seal of approval it was so nice and quiet for her on the way back home that she fell straight to sleep :D so we’re having a little nap now before going to a baby group soon.

6 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yeah I agree. I really miss the countryside. The fresh air, the greenery and the country smells and the overall cleanliness. The city is filthy and stinky. (And it’s a stamp sized one, I can’t imagine what a metropolis must smell like) 

Nah, I studied German in high school and did a language exam and then I forgot it all. But to this day there are certain words that pop into my mind in German and I can’t remember the English equivalent for my life. Why has my vocabulary disappeared? I need to read a book. 

You can’t see the mountains from here but we have lots of hills within the city. Does that count? 

Technically my city is surrounded by a hill and a small mountain in the South and the West respectively and you can also see them....problem is that you don't experiment their effects unless you are in the neighborhoods next to the bottom of those small mountains. Pollution and traffic on the other side....yeah. Once I go to the town the smell is so diffrent.

And having nostalgia again for my language courses....today apparently the new French course started and everyone on whatsapp was so excited about it but I am not going due to lack of time. I had to do an intensive of one month this September instead but it got cancelled.

I also lost a lot of vocabulary...ormaybe it still exists but who knows where it is from my mind.

Archived