NFL 2018 V: The Packers Win With A Loss While The Cowboys Lose With A Win

Bronn Stone

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

This is amazing. Love that this is guy with 3 first round picks next year. I'm pumped for when he takes Isaac Hempstead Wright with the 2nd overall pick next year. 

If you’re unwilling to change, the game will pass you by, and it appears to have passed by Gruden. Frankly I’ve always thought he was overrated as a coach, and he never came off as all that bright when he hosted MNF.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If you’re unwilling to change, the game will pass you by, and it appears to have passed by Gruden. Frankly I’ve always thought he was overrated as a coach, and he never came off as all that bright when he hosted MNF.

He's very bright now.

https://deadspin.com/alarmingly-red-jon-gruden-khalil-mack-didnt-want-to-be-1828950794

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Shocking no one, Josh Gordon is stepping away from football as he likely faces another huge suspension.

Just as the Patriots were hitting their stride, too. Guess they're not winning the Super Bowl this year!

Schefter has tweeted that Gordon is indefinitely suspended for violating the substance abuse policy.  Will he ever play in the NFL again?  He certainly helped the Patriots out this season, but he wasn't nearly the showstopper he was back with the Browns.  With another suspension, I can't imagine the league would reinstate him this year or next, so the earliest would likely be for to the 2020 season.  He'll be 29 then, and potentially fresher than most 29 year old receivers, but I'm still not sure teams would want to deal with the headaches of Gordon potentially embarrassing them.  Admittedly, I wouldn't really say he embarrassed New England, and if this suspension is just for smoking weed then I think he OUGHT to get another chance.  But the NFL isn't exactly forgiving unless you are a gamebreaker, and Gordon no longer qualifies. 

He's done. Keep in mind it was the lying, not the actual act, that sank Hunt, and I'm sure Flash lied to the Patriots. The guy is just too unreliable to be worth the risk at this point, which is a real shame because he was absolutely a HoF level talent.

One thing I will say for him though is that I absolutely believe that he's not using addiction as an excuse. When you read about his history, he is absolutely running from demons and has been self medicating his entire life. Hopefully he can find peace, get clean and make something of his life, but I fear this story will have a tragic and early ending.

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's done. Keep in mind it was the lying, not the actual act, that sank Hunt, and I'm sure Flash lied to the Patriots. The guy is just too unreliable to be worth the risk at this point, which is a real shame because he was absolutely a HoF level talent.

One thing I will say for him though is that I absolutely believe that he's not using addiction as an excuse. When you read about his history, he is absolutely running from demons and has been self medicating his entire life. Hopefully he can find peace, get clean and make something of his life, but I fear this story will have a tragic and early ending.

Gimmie a break homes. I feel for my man Gordon, but a lil' self medication with weed and booze is not something to 'hope he can find peace and get clean'. He's a victim of the NFL's stupid ass old white guy rules, not his own lifestyle.

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Gimmie a break homes. I feel for my man Gordon, but a lil' self medication with weed and booze is not something to 'hope he can find peace and get clean'. He's a victim of the NFL's stupid ass old white guy rules, not his own lifestyle.

Not sure I get what you're saying here. All of the jobs I have ever had (after "high" school that is) require you to be drug free. I wouldn't mind self medicating once in a while but my job requires me to not do it, or look for work elsewhere. So I don't do it. 

Either he chooses to keep smoking because that's more important to him or he has an addiction/mental issue, and from all accounts the league and teams have bent over backwards to try to help him.

I mean, if someone told me I could make millions of dollars if only I had to stop smoking weed, I'd do it.  With millions of dollars, I could afford coke!

34 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Not sure I get what you're saying here. All of the jobs I have ever had (after "high" school that is) require you to be drug free. I wouldn't mind self medicating once in a while but my job requires me to not do it, or look for work elsewhere. So I don't do it. 

Either he chooses to keep smoking because that's more important to him or he has an addiction/mental issue, and from all accounts the league and teams have bent over backwards to try to help him.

19 minutes ago, briantw said:

I mean, if someone told me I could make millions of dollars if only I had to stop smoking weed, I'd do it.  With millions of dollars, I could afford coke!

Well if it's more important to him to smoke dope or drink (don't forget, he might have had a fucking beer on thanksgiving) than play football then that's his prerogative. I find your condescending attitude regarding his life choices a bit off base. 

He's gonna go be a car salesman.

I understand frustration or anger from a cockteased fanbase that he didn't care enough, but the superior tone about the poor confused junkie that's put forth grates. I didn't hear anyone saying it's such a shame Jamarcus Russell loved food so much and hoped he got his life together. Especially when there's a fucking headline right now from Florio saying the NFL wants to remove the Marijuana ban through collective bargaining (I.E. get their reward for doing the decent thing).

I refuse to indulge in these simplified narratives about wayward sheep the league couldn't save. Gordon is a victim of a bad policy made by fools. He is NOT a sympathetic victim, as he made the choice like 15 fucking times not to prioritize football, but none of his suspensions I can recall included malicious behavior where he did something to hurt anyone but his own career. The guy likes to get fucked up, he should not be punished for that.

That being said, bye bye Josh. Have fun selling cars or whatever. I think I'm happiest this way. The Browns never got to fully enjoy him, and he helped the Pats out pretty well but won't be around to steal Brady's glory for winning the Superbowl with the worst receiving talent he's had since 2006.

14 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Hey, don’t get me wrong, I think the policy is stupid too. But you’re wrong to say it’s just drinking and smoking. Read about his history. He’s been addicted to all kinds of drugs over the years, and my concern is that now that football is over, what will he do. People in these types of situations can sink into their vices, not overcome them.

11 hours ago, briantw said:

I’m guessing you don’t know what it’s like to have an addictive personality. I do, and it’s why I don’t typically keep liquor in my house. A drink or two is fine, but after three or four you’re on auto pilot. The mind can say stop, but your hands still pour the drink and before you know it the glass is empty. Rinse and repeat.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’m guessing you don’t know what it’s like to have an addictive personality. I do, and it’s why I don’t typically keep liquor in my house. A drink or two is fine, but after three or four you’re on auto pilot. The mind can say stop, but your hands still pour the drink and before you know it the glass is empty. Rinse and repeat.

I think auto pilot is a succinct way to describe submitting to addictive impulses. I like that. No matter what you do, it seems like the moment you stop paying attention the plane/car starts going back to its original course.

41 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

What is the league planning to do about the Texans getting into the playoffs way too often, sometimes even winning a game which ruins the entire tournament for that year?   This is yet another way the NfL is dropping the ball.   Outrageous.

The solution was to relegate the Bengals. Brilliant, really.

I think auto pilot is a succinct way to describe submitting to addictive impulses. I like that. No matter what you do, it seems like the moment you stop paying attention the plane/car starts going back to its original course.

Definitely. For me it was playing video games by myself. The more distracted you are, the less control you have. And I'm looking at merely from perspective of having that personality trait  absent any demons trying to be hid. Gordon, OTOH, appears to have extreme demons and has been self-medicating since he was 11.

I'm not saying the absolves Gordon of his transgressions. It doesn't, but it does help you understand how he ended up where he is. 

Archived