Cricket 34: Bring Your Own Sandpaper

Paxter

15 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Amla 55 off 111 balls. That's pretty terrible.

His innings at the start wasn't too slow - striking around 70ish. but then he got pretty bogged down.

South Africa has been tough to watch in this tournament. They need to go crawling back to AB!

It's almost as if they are stuck in a time warp with scores around that 200-250 mark.

19 minutes ago, Paxter said:

South Africa has been tough to watch in this tournament. They need to go crawling back to AB!

We won't and it's pointless to do so unless AB commits himself to the national team for the next 2 years at least. Band aid solutions don't help. Long term, SA cricket will be better off by starting the rebuilding process as soon as possible and accepting that the next few years are going to be a struggle especially in the batting department. 

11 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

We won't and it's pointless to do so unless AB commits himself to the national team for the next 2 years at least. Band aid solutions don't help. Long term, SA cricket will be better off by starting the rebuilding process as soon as possible and accepting that the next few years are going to be a struggle especially in the batting department. 

Yeah fair enough. I guess this is on AB - he made the call to retire earlier than he needed to and certainly earlier than SA needed him to.

Bowing out after that Australia series was crazy from my perspective - he absolutely dominated Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon and co. (who many Australian fans herald as 'the best bowling attack in the world').

:lol: Interesting way to get out by Guptill.

Taylor’s gone cheaply too so South Africa are back in with a chance now.

ETA: And Latham’s out now. With Tahir bowling well I think South Africa are probably favourites at this point.

NZ got the job done in the end, with 8 required off the last over and Williamson smashing Phehlukwayo for a couple of boundaries. The Black Caps don't lose many games when the skipper bats like that.

Looking forward to Bangladesh v Australia tomorrow! Who could forget the last time these two teams played against each other in England. I'm expecting Australia to win, but Bangladesh is in great form and more than capable of pulling off an upset. There is some talk of Nathan Lyon playing to try to counteract the dominant Shakib.  

Great knock from Williamson. I did think the pitch was going to be hard to chase if South Africa got up to 250+ but as it is they were probably just a few runs short.

Bangladesh could be a potential banana peel for Australia. Khawaja and Smith are the best players of spin in the side, and the former is not a certain selection. Bangladesh will also have heaps of motivation - winning this game will put them in real semifinal contention.

15 hours ago, Consigliere said:

It would help if our best batters were actually at that tournament. Temba Bavuma has been monumental domestically, and Reeza Hendricks should have been there too. And they should have tried harder to keep Rilee Roussouw away from his Kolpak deal.

I'm used to the Proteas doing this shit, but for some reason this feels like the worst mess so far. I'm genuinely depressed. 

Anyway, time to support the Tigers.

4 hours ago, Regular John Umber said:

It would help if our best batters were actually at that tournament. Temba Bavuma has been monumental domestically, and Reeza Hendricks should have been there too. And they should have tried harder to keep Rilee Roussouw away from his Kolpak deal.

I'm used to the Proteas doing this shit, but for some reason this feels like the worst mess so far. I'm genuinely depressed. 

Agree on Bavuma and Hendricks. I'm pretty sure CSA tried very hard to keep Rossouw but we cannot compete with £££ and Rossouw was more interested in the money than playing for his country. 

Most boring 50s and 100s. Bit of a snoozefest this match :(

edit: some terrible death bowling from Bangaldesh. Chasing the yorker just not coming off.

edit2: Australia can't handle the heat from those cracking 110ers :P

edit3: thank god for rain, let's hope for a flood! I made enemies of too many aussies this week to keep my phone on tomorrow :lol:

Feeling slightly disappointed. More than halfway through the first round and the 'big four' teams have lost just two games from 20 (Australia's loss to India and England's upset against Pakistan). I guess things will get more interesting when these teams start to play each other more, but I was definitely hoping for a more even competition than this.

International cricket really needs strong limited overs teams from South Africa, Pakistan and Sri Lanka to be interesting. The partial re-emergence of the West Indies hasn't been enough.

55 minutes ago, Paxter said:

International cricket really needs strong limited overs teams from South Africa, Pakistan and Sri Lanka to be interesting. The partial re-emergency of the West Indies hasn't been enough.

I think conditions have been a bit of a surprise. Everyone was expecting this World Cup to be all about big hitting and high scores rather than the closer to test match style games we've had with the weather. I think the Windies could have done better if we'd gotten the flatter conditions that we'd expected and if June had been as dry as last year I expect Bangladesh would have done better too.

South Africa and Sri Lanka are just in a low ebb though and Pakistan are Pakistan, who knows how they're going to play?

3 hours ago, Paxter said:

At least Mushi got a nice hundred. Some solace for Bangladesh, but 380 was always going to be too many unless Tamim or Shakib really got going early.

It was a valiant batting effort, but the required run rate always looked a bit too much.

4 hours ago, Paxter said:

Feeling slightly disappointed. More than halfway through the first round and the 'big four' teams have lost just two games from 20 (Australia's loss to India and England's upset against Pakistan). I guess things will get more interesting when these teams start to play each other more, but I was definitely hoping for a more even competition than this.

There's also a problem with the tournament format which is designed to maximise revenue rather than maximise sporting drama. If the current top 4 consider to be consistent then we could be left with a lot of meaningless matches towards the end of the group stages.

6 hours ago, williamjm said:

There's also a problem with the tournament format which is designed to maximise revenue rather than maximise sporting drama. If the current top 4 consider to be consistent then we could be left with a lot of meaningless matches towards the end of the group stages.

Yes, I think the tournament format is to blame for a lot of this - even though it's smaller, when you have such variation within the 10 teams there are going to be a lot of lopsided games. In a multi-group format, there will still be the lopsided games but they will have more of an immediate impact with net run rate and one upset could really stuff you.

In one big group, there need to be a number of upsets to combine together before it has a meaningful effect on the outcome of the tournament. Teams can afford to lose a game or two. It's a philosophical issue because maybe that's what you want in order to let the best teams emerge after a lengthy period of time rather than a "sudden death" small group format. It does also mean some teams will have secured a semifinal place well before others and maybe only one or two spots are going to actually be in question and fought over.

The other issue is that we only have semifinals out of this. So presumably we're only going to see the top teams play each other in a high-stakes knockout game twice at most, which is a shame.

Malinga gets Vince and Bairstow early to breathe some life into this contest. Go Sri Lanka!

Agree with Jeor and BillyJ's comments above. The sad thing is that things could have been completely different if the teams had been more even.

Archived