Alien 40th Anniversary

Corvinus85

I at least liked the way it looked, it had a nice visual style that evoked the first movie pretty well. 

Other than that I'm deeply apathetic to the whole franchise after the latest few disasters. Wish we could just leave Aliens to die in a bin somewhere and move on.

8 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Being a relative newcomer to this series I thought there was one decision in Prometheus that was surprising and disappointing:

Hide contents

The engineers, what had happened there, what their ideas were for humanity, etc...they touched on this but didn't really delve into it much and left it largely unexplained.

Don’t think we need to spoiler that , but yeah agree the Engineers were a great concept utterly wasted in Scott’s movies. Somewhere along the line the writers seem to have lost their nerve and decided to ditch most of the interesting elements I favour of just using a standard alien movie template 

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Other than that I'm deeply apathetic to the whole franchise after the latest few disasters. Wish we could just leave Aliens to die in a bin somewhere and move on.

You're just being defeatist, just because no one has been able to match the first two, not even Ridley. One day...

And if not, at least we'll have good memories of those movies.

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

You're just being defeatist, just because no one has been able to match the first two, not even Ridley. One day...

And if not, at least we'll have good memories of those movies.

I agree, just because they've made a string of bad films doesn't mean it's impossible to make a good film in future. Aliens worked because they tried something different to Alien. The problem with all the other films is that they've tried to emulate the first two in some way with what's become a stale template. Although it feels like no one has tried to double down on the aliens format which does seem odd but probably budget related.

The last two films seem far more interested in AI than aliens.

52 minutes ago, red snow said:

I agree, just because they've made a string of bad films doesn't mean it's impossible to make a good film in future. Aliens worked because they tried something different to Alien. The problem with all the other films is that they've tried to emulate the first two in some way with what's become a stale template. Although it feels like no one has tried to double down on the aliens format which does seem odd but probably budget related.

The last two films seem far more interested in AI than aliens.

The problem for me is that almost every extra terrestrial in space horror movie in the last 30 years has in some way tried to copy the Alien template. It’s been done, it’s hard to see what there is new to bring, especially if you also include the same Xenomorphs from the franchise. Aliens 3 and Resurrection both tried to do things differently and mostly failed.

I just think i’d prefer the whole thing to go away. 

I always pictured a mass invasion of earth scenario but I don’t think that will happen and if it did it would still be pretty dull

But superhero films, westerns, bank heists etc are all more overexposed yet can still make interesting or at least entertaining new films. It's primarily about execution not originality. 

To claim aliens in space is a tired format is more reflective of the lack of imagination in Hollywood.

49 minutes ago, red snow said:

But superhero films, westerns, bank heists etc are all more overexposed yet can still make interesting or at least entertaining new films. It's primarily about execution not originality. 

To claim aliens in space is a tired format is more reflective of the lack of imagination in Hollywood.

The superhero genre has shown that it can overlap a lot of other genres and do interesting things if a director wants to. Winter Soldier and Ragnarok have shown that. 

Aliens in space isn't quite as flexible as its not such an obvious genre.  This is especially true if you are using the Xenomorphs and facehuggers and chest bursters.. there is really only so much you can do with that concept. Those aliens are expertly designed to illicit fear and terror. 

Its going to be very difficult to make an Aliens movie that doesn't descend into directly copying what we've already seen.

On 3/31/2019 at 7:50 AM, Heartofice said:

The superhero genre has shown that it can overlap a lot of other genres and do interesting things if a director wants to. Winter Soldier and Ragnarok have shown that. 

Aliens in space isn't quite as flexible as its not such an obvious genre.  This is especially true if you are using the Xenomorphs and facehuggers and chest bursters.. there is really only so much you can do with that concept. Those aliens are expertly designed to illicit fear and terror. 

Its going to be very difficult to make an Aliens movie that doesn't descend into directly copying what we've already seen.

I think the video game Alien: Isolation showed an interesting way to still tell an Alien story. It's a different medium obvious, but I think condensing that 17 hour experience (counting all the gameplay) into a 2 hour movie could work.

Basic setup is: A single person is sent to investigate a derelict space wreck. Turns out an Alien had killed all the crew. Cue survival-horror experience.

Spoiler

Towards the end, find out it wasn't just one Alien, there were several.

The movie would be like Gravity, The Martian, or Cast Away, and focus on a single charismatic actor trying to deal with the situation they are in. Which is trying to escape from the wreck and get back to their ship.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived