US Politics: Wondering the Acosta

DMC

Just now, DMC said:

I....very strongly disagree.  Nixon's approval was solidly approaching 60 for the entire year and the economy was rock solid.  That means reelection is pretty much a given.  Maybe not the asskicking he gave McGovern, but anybody was gonna lose.

Oh yeah? Oh YEAH!?! Then why would he have had to cheat??? That's right, Watergate was a #deepfake #freeNixon!!! #TheEarthIsFlatYouStupidGlobies

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

Oh yeah? Oh YEAH!?! Then why would he have had to cheat??? That's right, Watergate was a #deepfake #freeNixon!!! #TheEarthIsFlatYouStupidGlobies

Nixon sent the plumbers in there to cover up the fake moon landing.  He couldn't trust McGovern with that information.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I....very strongly disagree.  Nixon's approval was solidly approaching 60 for the entire year and the economy was rock solid.  That means reelection is pretty much a given.  Maybe not the asskicking he gave McGovern, but anybody was gonna lose.

I know that, but weren't you referencing policy positions? McGovern had a lot of really popular positions while Nixon's were a mixed bag, but said popularity did jack to help McGovern in the end. On top of the economy, we were in the middle of a war, we know how that works with presidential elections, and Nixon did a great job making McGovern appear weak despite the fact that Nixon literally did nothing in WW2 while McGovern was a legit war hero who flew 35 bombing missions, among many other great things.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Nixon sent the plumbers in there to cover up the fake moon landing.  He couldn't trust McGovern with that information.

Only an idiot thinks the moon landing was fake. It's the size of a dinner plate, and you're telling me Neil couldn't land on it? You're spreading dangerously inaccurate information and I hope you get brought to justice!

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I know that, but weren't you referencing policy positions?

I was arguing policy positions don't really matter.  "Policy be damned," I believe I said.

2 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Only an idiot thinks the moon landing was fake. It's the size of a dinner plate, and you're telling me Neil couldn't land on it? You're spreading dangerously inaccurate information and I hope you get brought to justice!

I honestly don't know how to react to this.  You win the sarcasm battle.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

I was arguing policy positions don't really matter.  "Policy be damned," I believe I said.

Well then it appears I misread what you wrote and actually proved your point. Honestly I was just more caught up in what Swaggy P said.

40 minutes ago, DMC said:

I honestly don't know how to react to this.  You win the sarcasm battle.

:cool4:

For want of a dunking emoji.

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well then it appears I misread what you wrote and actually proved your point. Honestly I was just more caught up in what Swaggy P said.

I'm way better at basketball than that assclown.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well someone thinks very highly of herself.

I wish. Sober as a freshwater clam. You see how my conversation suffers? There should be public relief programs for this kind of agony.

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Ok, how do the Dems win the Senate?  

Under most conditions, as has been pointed out, it'd be an uphill battle at best.  However, my entire point - overlooked in the sound and fury - was that it's not so much about the democratic party winning the Senate, as it is the Republican party behaving in such an abhorrent manner that a significant portion their normally reliable voters stay home in disgust, giving the democratic senatorial candidates realistic chances to win.   Sort of like how Clinton lost to Trump - utterly disgusted democratic voters stayed home in multiple states.

(The main, though not only issue being repealing the ACA, costing 20+ million people their insurance, causing havoc throughout the rest of the insurance market, calling this chaos a good thing, and laughing about it - which at least some are stupid enough to do.)   

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Hey!  Where did Venezuela go?  We were invading, gonna kick Maduro's ass!  Did Venezuela pull a invisibility shield out of Bolton's ass or what/

Yeah, they were supposed to Rally behind the US puppet that is Guaido, overthrow Maduro, and Trump was supposed to arrive in Venezuela’s capital smile in front of the cameras and say mission accomplished. 

18 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

it is the Republican party behaving in such an abhorrent manner that a significant portion their normally reliable voters stay home in disgust, giving the democratic senatorial candidates realistic chances to win.   Sort of like how Clinton lost to Trump - utterly disgusted democratic voters stayed home in multiple states.

This isn't a bad theory.  Although it isn't so much Hillary's voters stayed home, it's also that they voted third party.  So for there to be a shift those people need to vote Dem.

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

@DMC.  Buttigeig belongs in that top tier too, right?  Just reading some Politico piece on fundraising.

Sure.  Undoubtedly in terms of fundraising.  I just think his phase has passed.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I really can't envision a 37 year old mayor getting the nomination.  He's already won, though, in the long term.

Former Vice President Joe Biden is leading the crowded field of Democratic presidential candidates, with Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren in second place, according to a new poll out Thursday.

Biden tops an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll with 26 percent support, followed by Warren at 19 percent and Sens. Kamala Harris of California and Bernie Sanders of Vermont each at 13 percent.

Poll: Biden, Warren lead Democratic field

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/11/2020-elections-democrats-poll-1409416

Another interesting bit of weirdness - more people who have Warren as their first choice don't have Sanders as their second - they have Harris.

More people who have Sanders as their first choice don't have Warren as their second - they have Biden. 

Archived