US Politics: Wondering the Acosta

DMC

15 hours ago, Zorral said:

Hey!  Where did Venezuela go?  We were invading, gonna kick Maduro's ass!  Did Venezuela pull a invisibility shield out of Bolton's ass or what/

Silly question! His buddy Putin asked him to stop all that bs!

A bizarre 31 minute press conference with Trump on the way to his helicopter, with so many crazy statements.

Why are you covering Acosta, that happened 12 years ago, he's a great guy, did a great job, a fantastic Secretary of Labor, I am with him. Why u no cover the great economy? (WH officials - they are worried about more details that may come out)

Mueller 'effectively' said no obstruction.

AOC made up those stories about drinking out of toilets. The people at ICE and border security love those people. Doing a great job. Doing things they never were trained to do. The NYT is full of fake news, they make so much up - they are truly the enemy of the people.

Paul Ryan was useless. He did a useless job, he was a baby. Stuff didn't get passed because you need 60 votes in the Senate. (Ryan was interviewed for a new book by a Politico writer, and said Trump knew nothing about politics and everyone had to stop him from making bad decisions. Trump Twitter attacked Ryan overnight, as incompetent and the worst.)

And on and on.

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Seriously, F this guy with a rusty screwdriver.  

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/07/hedge-funders-have-some-thoughts-on-what-epstein-was-doing.html

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/07/fraud-and-blackmail-jeffrey-epsteins-finances.html

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/07/acosta-epstein-plea-deal-2008-ignored-victims.html

My goodness! Blackmail? Global money laundering?  Who would ever think such a thing about figures with such honest and intelligent friends as Trump -- and each other?

Such friends indeed as Trump who has just come right out and said it: no free press.  The only press that has the right to write are the press and media that LOVE HIM.  This is the result of his social media summit yesterday with the white supremacists:

Speaking at a White House-hosted “social media summit” populated by Trump supporters and a number of right-wing trolls, the president blasted the tech industry and social media companies and claimed they censor conservatives.

He tweeted:

Today, I am directing my Administration to explore all regulatory and legislative solutions to protect the free speech rights of ALL AMERICANS. We hope to see more transparency, more accountability, and more FREEDOM! #SocialMediaSummit

The creepiest comment came when Trump said that any mainstream media that he thinks are biased against him are not protected by free speech.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-media-free-speech_n_5d282394e4b0bd7d1e1a0592

So, evidently empowered by being in the White House, these nazis, etc. went after the reporters, physically, in the Rose Garden:

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/452731-trump-social-media-summit-attendees-clash-with-reporters-in-rose-garden

As Trump was talking about what a great talent Acosta is, he added -

He’s a Hispanic man. He went to Harvard – a great student. 

Who the fuck randomly points out someone's ethnicity when it doesn't have one single bit of relevance to the topic at hand? I mean, racists do, but Trump tells me he's the least racist person I know, so ...

I literally dropped my jaw when I heard him say that because who the fuck talks like that? Once again, it's the little things that sometimes gut-punches me all over again with this president. I'm numb to this big things like attacking free speech and threatening to resist lawful court rulings, but the little things can catch me off guard.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Paul Ryan was useless. He did a useless job, he was a baby.

I do love how the man self-snitched. I’ve always maintained that he was the biggest phony in D.C. If he had a patriotic bone in his body, he’d walk into the Caribbean Sea with nothing but a bucket of chum.

6 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

Buttigieg is terrible. Racist and terrible. Still not as bad as Biden.

This is why most people just ignore you. Not being perfect on all issues involving race does not make you a racist. Once again, your poor form only undermines your ultimate goal.    

Acosta resigning while Trump backs him is (if people are smart*) one of the best outcomes that could possibly happen. Now, you get Acosta actually admitting he didn't do great by resigning, and you have Trump getting to be behind a guy who proposed cutting child trafficking policing by 80% and then resigning.

If you're smart, press, you should constantly ask Trump why he is behind Acosta after Acosta proposed cutting child trafficking enforcement by 80%. Or why he's behind Acosta after letting a sexual predator off and free to offend for another 10 years. Keep pushing him on that. Over and over again. 

*people are not smart and this will fade into the news ether in the next 3 days, but oh I could wish

Just now, Kalbear said:

If you're smart, press, you should constantly ask Trump why he is behind Acosta after Acosta proposed cutting child trafficking enforcement by 80%. Or why he's behind Acosta after letting a sexual predator off and free to offend for another 10 years. Keep pushing him on that. Over and over again. 

I think you're vastly overestimating the possible political salience of Alex Acosta's career.  It's done.

Just now, DMC said:

I think you're vastly overestimating the possible political salience of Alex Acosta's career.  It's done.

I don't give two rats asses about Acosta's career; I care a lot more about Trump willingly sticking his neck out for him and the vulnerability this projects. 

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I care a lot more about Trump willingly sticking his neck out for him and the vulnerability this projects. 

I think it projects political expediency rather than vulnerability.  Trump knew he had to go, but is he going to admit he was wrong in any way?  Of course not.  So he has to say nice things about Acosta (until Acosta starts saying not nice things about him of course, which probably will happen eventually).  On the new Trump scale of being a piece of shit, this ranks as, like, a 3 tops.  No one's gonna care.

Kal, you already said it, but you vastly over-rate the attention span and dedication of the media. All Trump has to do is tweet about [The Failing New York  Times, Scary Social Media, Big Baby Ryan, Pencil-Neck Schiff, Pocahontas, Alfred E Neuman, etc] and everything before that disappears.

12 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I don't give two rats asses about Acosta's career; I care a lot more about Trump willingly sticking his neck out for him and the vulnerability this projects. 

I see what you're saying and also wish it would happen. Fox News would bring this up for 20 years about a Democratic administration and MAKE their viewers care. The capitalist media will forget about it by Saturday.

This is a month old, but I just got an email about it from MPSA, which publishes the AJPS - one of the top three political science journals in the country and generally considered second after APSA's APSR:

Trump Issues EO to Slash Federal Advisory Committees

The U.S. General Services Administration, which helps oversee FACA implementation, says there are approximately 1,000 federal advisory committees and 50 federal agencies with FACA programs in effect at any given time. The order seeks to cap the total number of committees at 350, and will bar agencies from establishing new committees without waivers until the number drops.

“Advisory committees have played an important role in shaping programs and policies of the federal government from the earliest days of the Republic,” the agency says on its website, adding that: Since President George Washington sought the advice of such a committee during the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794, the contributions made by these groups have been impressive and diverse.”

In short, he's taking a knife to a large aspect of how there's any type of governmental expertise.

Archived