What TV shows should be rebooted?

Werthead

On 9/24/2019 at 8:14 AM, red snow said:

I think that has a decent to strong chance. It just depends on whether Marvel wants it to be a TV show or film. It'll be recast though.

I was recently reading about this very situation.  Makes me sad because I love the DD cast.  Marvel films and tv should figure out a way to keep DD as is, totally redo Iron Fist, keep Bernthal as Punisher, drop Defenders completely and do whatever with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

4 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I was recently reading about this very situation.  Makes me sad because I love the DD cast.  Marvel films and tv should figure out a way to keep DD as is, totally redo Iron Fist, keep Bernthal as Punisher, drop Defenders completely and do whatever with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

I guess it could happen if they bought the Netflix shows outright so they had it on Disney+. I mean, they could keep bernthal and cox if they really wanted to . There's been bond films where the same actor has essentially been a reboot between films 

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm pretty sure the dark crystal was using moya corridors as sets if not they can easily use them in a farscape show. 

Now you point it out the Skeksis castle did look a lot like Moya yeah. I wonder if they really do still have those set pieces around hoping - I know they've always wanted to come back to it.

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yes, I’d murder you all for any kind of Buffyverse continuation, but I think you all knew that. Sane with TSCC.

I think the stalling point on a Buffy continuation is that Sarah Michelle Gellar has semi-retired from acting. She hasn't had any roles since 2016 (bar a cameo as herself on The Big Bang Theory) and a lot of her last few roles before that was voiceover work. She's now spending a lot of time on her "food crafting" business which has been a huge success.

I mean, you could certainly do a new Buffyverse show which didn't require Buffy to be in it, but I think after such a long gap you'd want the name recognition of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." If SMG's not up for it, I think that makes a full reboot more likely, which I am more dubious about.

On 9/24/2019 at 11:28 AM, red snow said:

In general I'm more in favour of continuation reboots. I'd love to see Farscape continue and Babylon 5, stargate SG-1 in that context. I'd rather see buffy the vampire slayer done that way too.

I'd really like to see "booth at the end "return.

Blake's 7, buck rogers, space above and beyond and Charlie jade are all shows I'd like to see redone rather than continued.

A tv highlander reboot from the ground up has a lot of potential. If there weren't new matrix films in development I'd say a tv show of that could work. Someone mentioned quantum leap and sliders which could work. They could try adapting "black science" comic which is pretty much a crazy version of sliders.

In regards to stargate SG-1 I am in favor of a soft reboot. As in we have one of the original SG-1 members and maybe a villain getting stuck in a diferent dimension where earth hasn t used the stargate. So we can have diferences with the original show but keep in mind all that they have done in the original show. Anything different from this I don t think it will work because earth was just too evolved to find a new enemy and justify regular gate travels to new worlds when earth is one of the most developed planets in the galaxy.

A buffy rebbot is exactly the reverse. What is the point of doing a hard reboot when they can just say buffy died or is missing and do whatever they want with a new slayer? They can even chose a city with a different hell's mouth… I would just change how they made the vampires. It is too boring to say they are all evil and when they turn they become demons. They need something more interesting there.

A tv highlander reboot is full of potencial. It can be like arrow was. In each ep we have a past story and a presente story that develop along the season. This way each season they can explore different time periods and even show some historic figures...

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think the stalling point on a Buffy continuation is that Sarah Michelle Gellar has semi-retired from acting. She hasn't had any roles since 2016 (bar a cameo as herself on The Big Bang Theory) and a lot of her last few roles before that was voiceover work. She's now spending a lot of time on her "food crafting" business which has been a huge success.

I mean, you could certainly do a new Buffyverse show which didn't require Buffy to be in it, but I think after such a long gap you'd want the name recognition of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." If SMG's not up for it, I think that makes a full reboot more likely, which I am more dubious about.

I think she has a new dramedy in the works for...eh..HBO? She certainly seems more focused on her food stuff.

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I think she has a new dramedy in the works for...eh..HBO? She certainly seems more focused on her food stuff.

Her husband seems to be happier doing voice over work too. I respect they seem to be happy to stay out of the limelight.

The death of buffy seems like a good starting point for a continuation so SMG wouldn't be essential. Although they'd obviously need to drop "buffy" in the title. I think having some characters like willow, Giles or Xander as tge new mentor would be enough continuity.

I think the main hurdle in a continuation is getting around the fact there are loads of slayers. I think the "only one at a time" works better for a show. The other major hurdle is that the comics are apparently "canon" and I can't see anyone beyond whedon himself wishing to adapt the comic storyline. This isn't a slight on the comics merely the fact not many tv folk would want to waste their time and energy in transcribing a comic. Which means if they scrap the comic continuity fans will be pissed they were lied to.

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well before the comic even started Whedon said if they ever had to ditch it in order to make any continuation of the show they would.

credit to him for being upfront about that. Although Dark Horse should have probably had that as a disclaimer on the credits of the comic - even if only in small print

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well before the comic even started Whedon said if they ever had to ditch it in order to make any continuation of the show they would.

"We'll say it's canon to make money, and then drop it like a hot potato the second something else comes along that might also make us money." - Joss Whedon, George Lucas, etc

The should make a Fray series instead of a present day continuation of Buffy.

I think the problem is that the general audience has little or no interest in the "Buffyverse" as such, and as time passes the hardcore fanbase eager to see more material in that setting is dropping away. Even some of my most hardcore Buffy fan friends note the problems in doing a continuation without Spike or Angel (or having to pretend they haven't aged, a la Data in Picard looking a bit weird because of how much makeup Spiner is caked in) and the benefits of a reboot of some kind.

Fray as a completely stand-alone show would work, but it tying in to the rest of a dead franchise might be a bit weird. It being integrated into a relaunched Buffyverse is more likely.

Archived