MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

21 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

But I don’t imagine Cole would take that offer over 7yrs/$245mm.

Agreed, I know I wouldn't.  That's 2/45 over the last two years instead of ??? in five years.  Hard to turn that down.

6 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Way too much for anyone but for a guy with multiple Tommy John surgeries is bonkers.

Yeah, I was startled when I saw that offer being made to Gerrit Cole, and he’s Gerrit Cole instead of Stephen Strasburg.

Well those giganto contracts are going to make it easier for the Cardinals to say they made an aggressive push for MadBum, but could not get the numbers as high as whatever inflated contract he'll get now. I think it's a long-as-hell shot anyway for our FO to sign a veteran pitcher, but i think it's something we need. I don't expect us to sign jack squat at this point, and just hope we can coast to 87+ wins as per their modus operandi.

Who knows, maybe Stras, Cole, and Rendon will justify the 800 million or so dollars going to them this off-season.

4 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I was wrong about them not ponying up and I own it. 

If Strasburg is too much at $245m, how do you feel about Cole at $324m? There's no question he's better than Strasburg (except, y'know, in the WS :cool4:), but is that too much?

My take is absolutely not. In a league where David Price is making $32m per the next 3 years, $36m per for the greatest FA pitcher ever is fine. Dude strikes out guys at the rate of an elite closer. Except he does it for 200+ innings.

There's a ton of risk over a 9 year contract that he gets injured/falls off/whatever at some point but not sure how much riskier it is than Harper getting 13 years or Machado getting 10. I think any contract over 5 years is gonna have an ugly back end but that's the price of getting the elite guys these days and for a top contender like the Yankees who has everything but a top level ace, it's a move you have to make. 

A 9 year contract for a pitcher is groundbreaking, and hard to square with the increasing emphasis on analytics.  OTOH, if Strasburg is getting paid 35 a year until his age 38 year, it's hard to argue Cole shouldn't get paid 36 a year until his age 38 year - especially when comparing injury histories.

Like most Yankee fans, I'm just shocked and overjoyed George's kids finally opened the checkbook.  Resign Gardner and either resign or replace Betances and Romine, and we're good to go.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are elite players these days unwilling to take short contracts for giant annual sums? I’d rather pay a guy $50m a year for a few years than risk paying for their play in their mid to late 30’s.

There was talk that Rendon was maybe the one guy fine with taking a short deal with a high AAV and retiring young. But then apparently he saw what Strasburg got and now he's looking for 7 years as well. I mean it's all guaranteed so the player has every incentive to want to max out the years especially if you have an opt out like Cole. The team takes all the risk. 

That said, it is funny to see how NBA stars have prioritized flexibility and shorter contracts to ensure they're always in a situation they like while MLB guys are cool with basically marrying a given team. Still can't believe Bryce signed up for 13 years in Philly. Like, bro, you sure about this? 

4 hours ago, Jaime L said:

That said, it is funny to see how NBA stars have prioritized flexibility and shorter contracts to ensure they're always in a situation they like while MLB guys are cool with basically marrying a given team. Still can't believe Bryce signed up for 13 years in Philly. Like, bro, you sure about this? 

That's because they've realized that they're the most powerful athletes in the world. Baseballs current contracts seem to incentivize chasing the money over the ring, which is fine.

Cole will probably be making almost half of what the entire Pirates opening day payroll could end up around next season. As a big Cole fan, I'm happy he got paid, that guy is a competitor. As a sucker who keeps coming back for more Pirates fan, it's a reminder of how this nickel and dime organization doesn't give a fuck about actually winning. 

11 hours ago, Jaime L said:

If Strasburg is too much at $245m, how do you feel about Cole at $324m? There's no question he's better than Strasburg (except, y'know, in the WS :cool4:), but is that too much?

My take is absolutely not. In a league where David Price is making $32m per the next 3 years, $36m per for the greatest FA pitcher ever is fine. Dude strikes out guys at the rate of an elite closer. Except he does it for 200+ innings.

There's a ton of risk over a 9 year contract that he gets injured/falls off/whatever at some point but not sure how much riskier it is than Harper getting 13 years or Machado getting 10. I think any contract over 5 years is gonna have an ugly back end but that's the price of getting the elite guys these days and for a top contender like the Yankees who has everything but a top level ace, it's a move you have to make. 

8 hours ago, DMC said:

A 9 year contract for a pitcher is groundbreaking, and hard to square with the increasing emphasis on analytics.  OTOH, if Strasburg is getting paid 35 a year until his age 38 year, it's hard to argue Cole shouldn't get paid 36 a year until his age 38 year - especially when comparing injury histories.

Like most Yankee fans, I'm just shocked and overjoyed George's kids finally opened the checkbook.  Resign Gardner and either resign or replace Betances and Romine, and we're good to go.

Yeah, it's just that I never believed they would give him the money and years he wanted. 

Archived