The Irishman (I Hear You Tag Spoilers)

RumHam

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I read a biography about Jagger and seem to recall that while he was living in Manhattan he was jogging 5 miles a day so he's always stayed quite fit it seems.

Generally, all his life, unlike Keith, he's lived a very healthy lifestyle, all focused upon being able to do what he does on stage.  Hilariously, Keif has complained about that a lot, that Mick didn't smoke, take drugs, managed his money like a biz man, etc.!

So has Madonna eaten and done everything very healthy.  But after years of doing what they do on stage, it will clobber your body, no matter what.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Btw, going back to the dialogue scene in this movie at Frank's party, did they make De Niro look way taller than Pacino? He looked almost a full head taller. Was Hoffa a short guy?

De Niro was wearing massive shoe lifts throughout the film. Probably another reason he moved a bit awkwardly in the infamous kicking scene. 

National Board of Review has just named the Irishman for it's 2019 Best Film Award.

Brad Pitt won the Best Supporting Actor award for his work in Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood[/b ].

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/irishman-tops-national-board-review-2019-honorees-full-list-1259206

On 12/3/2019 at 6:54 PM, Zorral said:

But it was, because it was an old man / men looking back.  As you say, The Mule wasn't looking back, but really now, in that film, that you seem to have no trouble buying that geezer fucking three way underage women relative to his age at once, not at all problematical, even in terms of veracity, kind of undercuts what you are saying about not having trouble with a film that actually views aging in movie real time.

If Bradley cooper had been aged up to play "the mule" I'd have had an issue or if clint Eastwood was de-aged to play Captain America so he could be old cap at the end of the film. 

You still think my problem with the film is based on the ages of the actors. It isn't, i keep saying i just find it an odd creative decision to spend a lot of time having actors playing very different ages to what they are. It has nothing to do with the story or my appreciation of the story.

The Irishman was 35- 55 from meeting with bufallino to Hoffa's murder which is most of the screentime.Was 76 year old de niro the best choice for playing the character? I have no issue with him playing the older version of the character and de niro is in good enough shape to pull off the character at the point of killing Hoffa. It makes no difference to me that the film is about the hospice version of him looking back because that is much less of the total screentime (and this is a technical observation, i totally get that from a story point the film is from the old man's perspective. If scorsese really felt no one other than de niro could play the part then fine the CGI faces had to be done and it was a compromise he was willing to make (the same goes for all the other actors playing much older/younger versions of themselves). Films that cover various stages of a person's life are always going to be tricky to execute but i think it still makes sense to think "which age will be on screen the most". This is purely a critique of the production of the film and not the story and acting.

I can appreciate the irony that I've now dedicated more words to my thoughts on this facet of the film than on the things that made and broke the film for me. making it look like the age mixing was the most important thing to me! It really wasn't - it's just an observation on the casting choices and the use of CGI and prosthetics.

I agree with the above. It was a very strange choice to decide to de-age these actors for a large portion of the movie, when a much better solution was simply use younger actors for those roles. 

De-aging can work well, it was hardly noticeable in Captain Marvel and I’ve heard it was almost perfect in Gemini Man. But those two movies weren’t trying to turn elderly old men into middle aged men. There is a big difference in terms of how the body moves and how the face looks. So the Irishman just looks fake and plastic the whole time and moves like a zombie. It would have been so much better with just a younger actor! I mean if the Godfather 2 can do it then surely it’s ok for this movie?

Nah I think directors get convinced that new technology is a miracle cure and can paper over cracks. Or they needed to have the old Scorsese crew in every scene to even get it made. I dunno, but it was a dubious choice.

For everyone wondering why Scorsese didn’t go with younger actors, The Irishman was De Niro’s passion project, not Scorsese’s. De Niro first read the book back in 2007, and wanted to play Frank. De Niro is the one that convinced Pesci to come out of retirement, etc. This was his baby from the start. 

56 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

For everyone wondering why Scorsese didn’t go with younger actors, The Irishman was De Niro’s passion project, not Scorsese’s. De Niro first read the book back in 2007, and wanted to play Frank. De Niro is the one that convinced Pesci to come out of retirement, etc. This was his baby from the start. 

Its pointless to explain to them. I think over 90% of the audience understands this. It's real simple, no DeNiro, no movie period.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Doesn’t make it a good decision though does it. 

It was a fantastic decision for millions of us who absolutely and unequivocally adore Pacino, Pesci and DeNiro. We love this movie, we love this genre and have no problem with the movie. It's our last chance to see these 3 together, we don't want younger substitutes.

2 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It was a fantastic decision for millions of us who absolutely and unequivocally adore Pacino, Pesci and DeNiro. We love this movie, we love this genre and have no problem with the movie. It's our last chance to see these 3 together, we don't want younger substitutes.

Funnily enough I happen to love Pacino, Pesci and DeNiro , Goodfellas and Taxi Driver and Raging Bull were my favourite movies when I was younger.. and I would love to see these actors together.

I think that doesn’t mean I can’t be distracted and annoyed by their performances being ruined by their computerised counterparts. 

2 minutes ago, Relic said:

It's hilarious that there are people here who have zero issues with purple aliens with ball sacks for chins, but can't handle a past his prime DeNiro playing a younger man. 

Or as I mentioned earlier, Sin City, Ready Player One, the Watchmen, every Marvel movie made, Batman, Star Wars, and on and on we could give examples of appearance altering without audience issue. It's a basic construct of theatre since Shakespeare.

4 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Or as I mentioned earlier, Sin City, Ready Player One, the Watchmen, every Marvel movie made, Batman, Star Wars, and on and on we could give examples of appearance altering without audience issue. It's a basic construct of theatre since Shakespeare.

It's a ridiculous complaint made by ridiculous people. Such is life in the internet age, tho. 

4 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Massive difference between a comic book movie like Sin City which is going for a comic book visual style and aesthetic and something like the Irishman which is trying to be grounded in reality... except with plastic looking humans.

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Funnily enough I happen to love Pacino, Pesci and DeNiro , Goodfellas and Taxi Driver and Raging Bull were my favourite movies when I was younger.. and I would love to see these actors together.

I think that doesn’t mean I can’t be distracted and annoyed by their performances being ruined by their computerised counterparts. 

No way do I believe your a DeNiro fan. I know every line from Godfather 1 and 2 and I know a poser when I hear one.:D

You just enjoy the sword fights, I don't care. But the true fans aren't gonna buy what your trying to package here. We love this movie.

Just now, DireWolfSpirit said:

No way do I believe your a DeNiro fan. I know every line from Godfather 1 and 2 and I know a poser when I hear one.:D

You just enjoy the sword fights, I don't care. But the true fans aren't gonna buy what your trying to package here. We love this movie.

Such a stupid argument.. I think bad CGI ruins movies and therefore I’m just some just comic book nerd?? 

The butthurtness of some people is incredible when it comes to this movie. 

48 minutes ago, Relic said:

It's a ridiculous complaint made by ridiculous people. Such is life in the internet age, tho. 

Yeah no one who I’ve talked to in real life who has seen the flick has mentioned the technology at all. But on the internet it is very polarizing. 
shame that people let it ruin the movie cause I think it is awesome but different strokes...

Archived