Tywin Manderly

US Politics: Nancy's Knock on the Senate Door

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

As we see over and over and over, alas, this is exactly what the DNC refuses to do, in it's suicidal party dive off the cliff.

The entire premise of the article is preposterous.  The DNC's very existence is based on trying to organize and coordinate grassroots organizing.  And that outreach encompasses targeting all potential voters for your side - trying to persuade swing voters, making sure the base turns out, and trying to mobilize non-voters.  The author's only substantive explanation for what the DNC is "missing" is, well, quite laughable:

Instead, we tried something different. We trained people in these swing states to knock on the doors of the people they know, or call or text them with selfie videos where they’d say: “I’m a voter. Come join me at the polls.” Then these people would contact their own neighbors and friends, and so on. This is grass-roots organizing, which has won big progressive victories in the past.

No, that's not "something different."  At all.  It's in fact the very concept of canvassers that are supported by and compose any party committee - including the DNC.  You do realize if the DNC (or RNC) has your information you'll be inundated with emails, texts, and phone calls for the rest of your life, right?  The article is rather nakedly making an ideological argument that the Dems should emphasize moderates less and disengaged leftists more, then painting it up as if there's evidence the latter is more effective than the former.  Which is not provided.  The notion "deep organizing" is somehow something anathema to those dastardly high-paid DC consultants completely betrays such a (perhaps willingly) naive perspective.

20 hours ago, DMC said:

Yes, Santino would be basically every US regime since Roosevelt - Teddy.  Way too willing to fight, but still competent enough to lead his superior force into easily quelling any stones in his shoes.  Obvious correlation for Trump would be Fredo, but that really is a grave insult to Fredo in numerous ways.  Putin is not Barzini.  His moves are decidedly thuggish and, more importantly, way too out in the open.  That's not how Barzini operated.

Ok, a few problems there. The US are not dead. To use borrow a phrase from the financial crisis. The US are too big to fail. Not even the current management can truely destroy it (despite their best efforts). Furthermore, who is Michael (Don Michele) in your analogy?

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The US are not dead.

Um, sure.  The comparison was about character traits, not their fates (hey I rhymed!).  Not sure I can think of an appropriate Michael (or Vito, for that matter.  Or Tom Hagen.  Or Clemenza or Genco).  It was an off the cuff analogy I did not expect would receive such detailed scrutiny.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DMC said:

The notion "deep organizing" is somehow something anathema to those dastardly high-paid DC consultants completely betrays such a (perhaps willingly) naive perspective.

You're so predictable.  Ha!

These people are unpaid and local, not D.C. consultants. Also, if you read instead of reacting with 'professional' pearl clutching horror, you'd have noticed that it also spoke of how when or if this purely local and personal action achieves results then bring in outsiders.  It;s what Obama tried to do in Chicago -- though he wasn't very effective, personally, because, ultimately, he didn't like engaging personally very much and would send in purely untrained people way too soon.

Moreover -- Hil and her campaign and the professional high paid D.C. consultants in the DNC didn't do anything like that at all in the 2016 campaign.  They sure as hell didn't do voter registration drives in latinx, latino, hispanic, etc. communities.  It was the young Dem challengers who did that in the mid-terms, not anybody from the DNC, local, state or national.  And boy are state and national fighting tooth and claw to not let that happen again. Which means, of course, the only elections in which Dems won in a long time.

Edited by Zorral

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

These people are unpaid and local, not D.C. consultants.

Thanks.  I was referring to the attack the article makes on high-paid DC consultants, which a large portion of the argument is committed to, as I'm sure you're aware of if you actually read the article you cited.

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It;s what Obama tried to do in Chicago -- though he wasn't very effective, personally, because, ultimately, he didn't like engaging personally very much and would send in purely untrained people way too soon.

It's revealingly reductionist to compare this article's author to Obama simply because they both share a job title as community organizer.  I also enjoy how you're evaluating Obama's job performance as a community organizer over 30 years ago based on absolutely nothing (which had very little to do with electoral mobilization, btw, if you had any idea what you're talking about).

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Um, sure.  The comparison was about character traits, not their fates (hey I rhymed!).  Not sure I can think of an appropriate Michael (or Vito, for that matter.  Or Tom Hagen.  Or Clemenza or Genco).  It was an off the cuff analogy I did not expect would receive such detailed scrutiny.

I think we were collectively working towards figuring out who is the dead horse's severed head.

I nominate Boris. 

In a small bit of happy news it looks like Kansas just did the Obamacare Mediciad expansion for about 150,000 people which would never have happened under Kobach.  Not bad.  Would be amazing if this moved a few of these folks to vote for the Dem in the Senate race too.  

So I put out feelers from the Undisclosed Bunker Location today in order to get a heads up on how World War 3 was going.  Apparently the Dow is at another all time high and the Iranians, who could hit a refinery a thousand miles away in Saudia Arabia a few months ago can only pound a bunch of sand next door to US bases in retaliation now.  It's almost like they made the minimum symbolic response as a signal, and spun for domestic consumption.  And yet somehow after all of their deceit, big media's spin still gets traction here.

Possibly the draft won't be a thing?

http://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/blog/index.php?itemid=524

And let's look at the history of these protests:

Rescue run to Grenada: "ZOMG! DRAFT!"
Dig out a guy in Panama: "ZOMG! DRAFT!"
Several debacles in the Balkans, Africa and Caribbean under Bill Clinton: INFORMATIVE SILENCE.
Expedition to Kuwait: "ZOMG! DRAFT!"
Operations in Iraq: "ZOMG! DRAFT!"
Operations in Syria under 0bama: DEAFENING FUCKING SILENCE.
Angry tweet about NK. "ZOMG! DRAFT!"
Single fucking missile on a legit target. "ZOMG! DRAFT!"

While I'm sure the author of this post is somehow problematic (who isn't?), my recollection tracks with his.  I was underage during Grenada and Panama, but first hand remember the Kuwait, Iraq, and Iran reactions.  Really, my impression is that you all are mostly thralls to the leftist elements of the media, alas.  I mean it's one thing to support them if you're in line for a cushy Burisma sort of job, but for the most part, the media has been just stoking the excitable for their ends.  Don't be a useful idiot please.  

Talking Points Memo citing a WSJ article on Trump's motivation for the Soleimani hit:

Mr. Trump, after the strike, told associates he was under pressure to deal with Gen. Soleimani from GOP senators he views as important supporters in his coming impeachment trial in the Senate, associates said.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/lets-hear-more-about-this

Commit a war crime to shore up support in the trial to decide if you're unfit for office. Yep.

Or, he could be lying about his own motivation, so he could just be blaming his own unfit actions on people whose support he's courting.

Edited by DanteGabriel

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/10/politics/russian-warship-us-aircraft-carrier-video/index.html

Ruh-roh.

Step on my neck, Daddy?

ETA: So it's pure conjecture. But what better time for an effort from a bunch of nations in Asia to try and break the U.S. stranglehold on superpower status? Russia and China have a lot more in common with each other than with us, and when will the nation's image ever be lower? The time to do something is now. A proxy war through Iran to cripple the American spirit even more isn't the worst idea I can think of for Russia or China.

It's actually kind of perfect in a way. Ostensibly the Casus Belli is nuclear containment, so as long as the fighting stays regional then there's no reason for anything other than conventional weapons. And if Trump did nuke Iran...

Fun times.

Edited by Jace, Basilissa

EVERY Trump voter should have their noses smeared right in this steaming pile of conclusion that points out the hypocrisy they are a part of when they chant their "Lock her up!" bs.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/10/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-justice-department/index.html

From the article-

That wasn't true then. And now an investigation authorized by then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions to look into potential wrongdoing by Clinton has turned up a total of zero wrongdoing of any sort by either Hillary or Bill Clinton -- or anyone associated with the Clinton Foundation.

Now, contrast that with another multi-year probe originating in the Justice Department: Special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. That inquiry led to 199 criminal counts against 37 people and entities. Seven people pleaded guilty; six were sentenced to prison. And Mueller concluded that not only had Russia engaged in a deep and broad effort to influence the election to help Trump and hurt Clinton but also that Trump himself had engaged in a series of behaviors during the investigation that could have been construed as obstructive.obstructive.

It's a literal stunning contrast and Hillary was 100% factually correct in noting that Donalds supporters are a collective basket of deplorables.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

14 hours ago, Triskele said:

In a small bit of happy news it looks like Kansas just did the Obamacare Mediciad expansion for about 150,000 people which would never have happened under Kobach.  Not bad.  Would be amazing if this moved a few of these folks to vote for the Dem in the Senate race too.  

That is good news. I am originally from Kansas, and a lot of family still is there. They've been particularly beaten down by the reality that trickle down economics has destroyed them. Even then, I wonder if there will be any realistic shift there. Kansas has for a long time been uniquely identified as a state with a population that consistently votes against its own interests. I remember my dad reading this book when I was a kid.

23 hours ago, DMC said:

So you made an off the cuff analogy to the godfather without Vito or Michael, and thought you'd get away with it, like you are the bloody President of the USA? Dude, this forum has proper scrutiny mechanisms.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It's a literal stunning contrast and Hillary was 100% factually correct in noting that Donalds supporters are a collective basket of deplorables.

I am reminded of something one of my best friends said back in the day.

“I can forgive someone who has a Bush ’00 bumper sticker on their car. I cannot forgive someone who has a Bush 04’ sticker.”

Looks like even some nominal Republican senators are distressed at the thought of being jurors in an impeachment trial without witnesses.  Could make things interesting,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sen-susan-collins-working-with-small-group-of-republicans-to-ensure-witnesses-at-trumps-trial/ar-BBYPWKg?ocid=msnclassic

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said Friday that she's been working with "a fairly small group" of Republican senators to make sure witnesses can be called in President Donald Trump's impending Senate impeachment trial.

"We should be completely open to calling witnesses," Collins told reporters in Bangor, Maine, the Bangor Daily News reported. She declined to say who or how many GOP lawmakers she's been working with, but said "I am hopeful that we can reach an agreement on how to proceed with the trial that will allow the opportunity for both the House and the president's counsel if they choose to do so."

46 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah, Susan Collins can definitely be counted on to carry through with a principled stand.

that a republican brought this up at all is somewhat remarkable in today's polarized politics 

Edited by ThinkerX

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I am reminded of something one of my best friends said back in the day.

“I can forgive someone who has a Bush ’00 bumper sticker on their car. I cannot forgive someone who has a Bush 04’ sticker.”

The fact that it is possible to have bumper stickers from that time period on a car is why I never use bumper stickers.

39 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The fact that it is possible to have bumper stickers from that time period on a car is why I never use bumper stickers.

I have worked on every Congressional campaign cycle from 2006 to 2014, first as a volunteer, then intern, then staff, have handed out thousands up thousands of those things and never once ever considered putting one on  my own car. You’re just asking for some jerk to key your car.

Is it true that amidst all the assassination/bombings etc. the Turtle got the Senate to agree to not hear any witnesses?