Canadian Politics: The Surreality of Life under King Corona

Tywin Manderly

The Ontario Hospital Association, FB.

My sister's in laws are snowbirds and have been for years (as are tens of thousands of Quebec and Ontario retirees) and they winter in...Florida! While it's absolutely insane that anyone would consider heading south of the border, a pandemic wasn't part of anyone's retirement plans when they decided to buy a home in Florida for the winter and reside at their cottage/summer home the rest of the year. Rinse and repeat by thousands. So if your summer home isn't winterized, and your winter home is, well, in Florida where do you live from November until April? And will OHIP or the Quebec equivalent cover you if you get Covid out of country?

Ontario won’t cover out-of-Canada health bills anymore, you need to buy insurance. All the insurance companies cancelled travel insurance Covid coverage earlier this year, but once things settled down they reinstated it.

It will be interesting to see if they reverse themselves again.

Since Florida threw everything open this week, I assume in two or three weeks we’ll see a massive increase in cases. Now, you can fly to the US, but most people drive, and the borders are closed. I can’t see everyone switching to flights. I can also see both Ontario and Quebec vociferously objecting to people traveling to Florida for the winter and thinking they’ll just scurry on back if they get sick. However, the Charter of Rights does say one of our rights is the right to return to Canada. It will be interesting. Florida, of course, wants the snowbirds back.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:41 PM, Fragile Bird said:

Ontario won’t cover out-of-Canada health bills anymore, you need to buy insurance. All the insurance companies cancelled travel insurance Covid coverage earlier this year, but once things settled down they reinstated it.

It will be interesting to see if they reverse themselves again.

I purchased COVID-specific cover for my recent travels and it wasn't overly expensive. Though I imagine the premium would be pretty high for the 60+ bracket. 

RE: Returning to Canada for health care - the airlines aren't supposed to let you travel if you are sick or have symptoms, but I guess you could always cover it up...

Update

Sept           22      23      24      25       26       27       28       29                  

BC              93      91    148      98       68     125       74     105        

AB            150    143    158    153       60     184     162     160

SK              10        6        5      11       19       15       14         7

MB             24      42      37      54       65       51       39       34

ON           478     335   409    409     435     491     700     554  

PQ            489     471   582    637     698     896     750     799

M-4              1         2       2        1         0         1

North                                                                7

Total        1245   1090  1341 1363   1345   1763   1739   1659

I updated the numbers spreading out the weekend totals given by BC and AB over the three days. Time for them to stop taking weekends off. Even so, AB's 60 number from Friday is a bit skanky, because they apparently 'corrected' the number they had to re-assign cases to earlier dates because they weren't reported correctly. I assume that means the AB numbers before the 26th should be higher, but I'm not going to sift through numbers to find corrections. AB's big breakout has been in Calgary Foothills Hospital where they have had an outbreak in the cardiac ward and, sadly, at least 4 have died so far.

The other sad number is for Nunavut, which did not have any cases to date and then three miners came back from vacation with Covid-19. Now they have 7 presumptive cases in the locality of the mine. Their tests have to go south to a lab, so they won't actually know how many of the 7 presumptive cases are confirmed for a week or so.

Manitoba's run of numbers relate to an outbreak at a reserve. Let's hope they don't lose lives. They have also had a high number of cases in Winnipeg.

Ontario's story is Toronto, the GTA and Ottawa. I was just watching Ford's press conference now, with the dire news that we may very well hit 1,000 cases a day in a week's time. Worse still, while the majority of the recent cases have been in the 20-49 age group, the cases, inevitably, have spread to all age groups. Eight months in and I am going to have to go underground again. "sigh"

Quebec has elevated the warning levels for a number of regions, Montreal and area and Quebec City as well, I think.

Here's hoping the Maritime bubble holds. PEI had a travel related case, as did NS and NB. NL had a case recently as well, but I didn't hear about the suspected origin.

Should probably change the M-4 to A-4 as Nfld/Lab isn't part of the Maritimes (PEI, NS, NB), but is part of the Atlantic provinces and bubble. 

I think we went 10 days with one active and no new cases. NS now has two active cases both travel related. They never seem to disclose where they travelled to/from though. 

I know some businesses are not doing so great (very heavily reliant on tourism here), but every time someone mentions opening up the bubble to the outside more all I can scream is NOPE!!1!! There were some issues with out of bubble returning uni students earlier this month, but our little bubble is apparently the most COVID free place in North America. Like to keep it that way. 

Today’s numbers are pretty ugly. Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health has asked the province to either implement the measures she’s calling for, shutting down indoor dining for 4 weeks, for example, and asking citizens to only do essential travel, or to amend the regulations governing her powers so she can order the measures. We need to reduce community spread.

I’ll update at the end of the day.

Quebec. Ugh. From the CBC:

Quebec reported 1,052 new cases of COVID-19 and no new deaths on Friday. Six deaths that occurred between Sept. 25 and Sept. 30 were reported. Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 76,273 confirmed cases and 5,857 people have died. 

There are 302 people in hospital (an increase of 27), including 49 in intensive care (an increase of three).

And Ottawa! From CTV:

Ottawa Public Health reports 142 more Ottawa residents have tested positive for COVID-19, the highest one-day increase in new cases of novel coronavirus since the start of the pandemic.

A total of 142 new laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported in Ottawa on Thursday, along with two new deaths.  

<sigh>

Toronto has 323 cases, I think, which is why restaurants, bars and gyms are going to be closed down for a month if the province agrees to what the city has called for. 

Ontario had only 2 deaths but has done a review and clean up of the deaths database and has added 74 deaths from since the spring as Covid-19 deaths. They are being called a data correction.

Right now I’m watching a press conference from Quebec by the family of the indigenous woman who took video of the way hospital staff treated her and insulted her. The woman died in hospital and her family is convinced she died because she was treated so poorly by the hospital in Joliette. They are also calling for criminal charges. Watching her husband talk about his beloved wife is just heartbreaking.

There’s a CBC story with one of her videos that I have not watched because I found the story so repulsive.

Update

Sept           26       27       28       29       30        1        2                         

BC              68     125       74     105     125       82    161        

AB              60     184     162     160     153     173    122

SK              19       15       14         7       14       14      13

MB             65       51       39       34       40       36      43

ON           435     491     700     554     625     538     732      653      

PQ            698     896     750     799     838     933   1052    1107   

Atl-4             0         1                    1        2          1         1

North                                 7                                   

Total        1345   1763   1746   1660   1797   1777   2124

Woah, boy. Hang onto your hats, we're on a ride folks!

I have to say I feel better about the Ontario numbers now than in the spring, because I suspect this is what our numbers actually looked like but we didn't have the testing. And speaking of testing, we have tested so many people the labs can't keep up, and the samples are no good after three days. Thousands may have to be thrown out and people told to come back in. Great, right? On Friday there was an 80,000 test backlog.

I'm sure there was more that I wanted to say, but my mind has gone blank, Too much Trump on the brain.

I hope you are all well.

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Update

Sept           26       27       28       29       30        1        2                         

BC              68     125       74     105     125       82    161        

AB              60     184     162     160     153     173    122

SK              19       15       14         7       14       14      13

MB             65       51       39       34       40       36      43

ON           435     491     700     554     625     538     732      653      

PQ            698     896     750     799     838     933   1052    1107   

Atl-4             0         1                    1        2          1         1

North                                 7                                   

Total        1345   1763   1746   1660   1797   1777   2124

Woah, boy. Hang onto your hats, we're on a ride folks!

I have to say I feel better about the Ontario numbers now than in the spring, because I suspect this is what our numbers actually looked like but we didn't have the testing. And speaking of testing, we have tested so many people the labs can't keep up, and the samples are no good after three days. Thousands may have to be thrown out and people told to come back in. Great, right? On Friday there was an 80,000 test backlog.

I'm sure there was more that I wanted to say, but my mind has gone blank, Too much Trump on the brain.

I hope you are all well.

The Toronto Star lays the blame at Doug Ford's feet. The Cons did not want to spend the money needed to ramp up testing. Penny wise, pound foolish.

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

The Toronto Star lays the blame at Doug Ford's feet. The Cons did not want to spend the money needed to ramp up testing. Penny wise, pound foolish.

The blame is 100% on Ford. They had months and did fuck all. Same with all their other initiatives part of their "Fall plan" that they have been talking about this week. All bullshit.

Meanwhile, let's ban private gatherings, but it's still okay to gather if you pay your overlords for the privilege. Fuck off.

Fuck Ford and this government.

In non-Covid news, this is great. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/10/07/mixed-orientation-canada-immigration/

Canadian legal advocates and lawyers are now cheering the ruling as a major victory for the rights of what many have called “mixed-orientation couples,” with some saying it validates experiences that have long been pushed to the margins of the law.

“Societally, we’re so used to sex as the defining aspect of a relationship,” the couple’s lawyer, Athena Portokalidis, told The Washington Post. “But if a definition would fit for an opposite-sex that has been married for 50 years, why can’t a same-sex couple or a mixed-orientation couple have it, too?”

Update

Oct.             1        2        3        4        5        6        7                         

BC              82    161    130    108    120    106   115    

AB            173    122     97     263    218    276   143

SK              14      13     14         5        9      16     10

MB             36      43     38       36      51      56     32

ON           732    653   653     566    615    548   583

PQ            933  1052 1107   1079  1191  1364   900   

Atl-4             1       1       2         3        2         2    17

North                                                  9                                                           

Total        1777 2124 2041  2060   2215  2364  1800

The big news item, of course, is the exploding growth of cases in Ontario and Quebec. Two sad bits of news: those miners who returned to Nunavut with Covid spread it in the community and there are now 9 cases in Hope Bay. And in NB, restrictions on family visits to nursing homes were eased so of course visitors brought in the virus. NB only had 220 or so cases altogether, and they had to report 17 cases at a nursing home, 2 family, 1 worker and the rest are residents. Both BC and Alberta are seeing outbreaks in LTC facilities and hospitals.

And Kair, that's was a great story. Nice to see a judge saying come on, there are all kinds of relationships. There always have been, even if people kept quiet about it. I can understand the immigration folks not wanting to break what looked like new ground, they probably wanted clearer guidance from politicians.

I'll update numbers later today or on the weekend, but a quick note here. Ontario broke it's record yesterday, reporting 797 new cases. Well, it smashed it today, with 939 new cases reported. No wonder the province's chief medical officer and Canada's chief medical officer are both issuing dire warnings. Ford doesn't want to close down bars and restaurants because of fears a lot of small businesses are going to be wiped out, perfectly understandable, but I assume that means more dead older people. However, Ford is doing a press conference at 2:30 pm where it's expected he'll announce reversion to Phase 2 in some areas.

Hmmm, CBC is reporting 959 new cases. CTV reported 939 as did Worldometer. OK, CBC has the wrong number, I just checked the Ontario website.

The other alarming Ontario number is infections in LTC homes. Last month it was down to 19 places with infections, as of yesterday there were 57 facilities with infections. That's out of 630. I went to the dentist for the first time since December this week, for teeth cleaning, and we talked about his elderly mother, now a resident in one of the mini-apartments available at a large Polish LTC facility. They had one staff member testing positive at the very start, and they really cracked down with testing, and never had another case, so it can be done in Toronto.

Quebec is going to start police checkpoints in red zones. They added 1,107 cases today.

In other news, it was good to see the feds and the province get together to provide funding to Ford Motor to get battery power vehicle production up and running in Ontario. I was getting pretty worried about the vanishing car industry. And I was super happy to see Kenney announcing a move to hydrogen and plastic recycling in Alberta. People made some snarky comments about the federal government announcing coming bans against certain plasti items, like single use grocery store bags, straws and cutlery, undermining Alberta's plans, but I don't think Alberta was looking to grocery bags and drinking straws as primary resources. We recycle a very tiny amount of plastic in this country, 5% iirc, there's a huge source of supplies for them.

Update

Oct.              3        4        5        6        7         8        9                        

BC            130     108    120    106    115     110    119    

AB              97     263    218    276    143     364    277

SK              14         5        9      16      10       18      22      

MB             38       36      51      56      32       66      84

ON           653     566    615    548    583     797    939

PQ          1107   1079  1191  1364    900   1078  1102   

Atl-4            2         3        2         2     17         3      15

North                                9                                                           

Total        2041  2060   2215  2364  1800  2436  2558

Since BC and Aberta are not providing numbers until tomorrow, and Ontario is skipping today because of Thanksgiving, I have only updated until Friday. However, Manitoba numbers have really jumped, as, sadly, Covid-19 has made it into northern native communities that had, up until now, been sheltered by distance. Nunavut, btw, has officially taken down those 9 cases because they were all brought in by returning workers. However, there are 6 presumptive cases pending, and I'm not clear if those are local cases picked up from the workers.

I'm so sad to this happening in Canada too.

Manitoba -- bordering North Dakota, which Ya! ND! is by far #1 in new cases for weeks in the USA.  Beating even South Dakota, finally!  YAY ND!  We're #1!  We're so #1 it's even in our own personal white families now, not just those -- well, I won't write or even think what so many Nodaks call the Souix.

I'll make a (somewhat rare) semi-optimistic post:

• Fatalities (so far) remain lower than the April/May peaks by a factor of about 10. That would suggest we were running at many thousands more unreported cases per day in the spring (though there are some counterarguments to this point). 
  • Active cases have stabilized significantly in AB and BC after a tricky end to the summer for both provinces. Hopefully QC and ON can repeat this feat with the new restrictions.
  • Hospitalizations remain reasonable outside of QC . I'm guessing that care home outbreaks are still a major problem in French Canada, which is driving up the hospitalized cases. 

Yup. They were told so, everywhere, but real estate - rentier profit trumps all.

Second wave looks really bad everywhere too, just as back in the 14th century.

~~~~~~~

Is this a Happy Thanksgiving?  We have made plans for US Thanksgiving, hoping we will have a Really Big Reason to be thankful, or else, as Our Host said, reason to be suicidal, which means we need to be together at least as much.  But we have no idea if we will be able to risk being together or not due to the spiking virus -- we might be back where we were this winter.  We'd even thought, to try to minimize risk, to observe the dinner either two days before or two days after the actual date.

But we don't know.

Archived