Does Your Office Workspace Practice Active Shooter Drills?

Jaxom 1974

10 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Tons of very underground music wasn’t online at all and only ever released on 7” vinyl because at the time it was the cheapest method. I still have some records of bands you can find no trace of online that only existed for a few months in the 90s, and also some stuff from bands that were fairly successful after with songs you can’t find elsewhere. Napster was great for finding mainstream stuff, but sucked for very niche genre music.

I'm not a music head or a techie, so I'm not exactly sure how they did the more complicated things, but back in the early 2000's you could still get some rare stuff if it was properly recorded and transferred. But then again I was much more into rap than punk at the time and the former was doing everything they could to get their music out. Most bands at the time that marketed themselves as punk and tried to mass produce would probably have little in common with the bands you love.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not a music head or a techie, so I'm not exactly sure how they did the more complicated things, but back in the early 2000's you could still get some rare stuff if it was properly recorded and transferred. But then again I was much more into rap than punk at the time and the former was doing everything they could to get their music out. Most bands at the time that marketed themselves as punk and tried to mass produce would probably have little in common with the bands you love.

Most of the bands I’m referring to were super local and self recorded or were put out by a couple local labels which were just one guy operations doing it to help bands they liked (Felix Havoc, who started the Extreme Noise store, which is a co-op staffed by volunteers, was one of those) and I’m sure lost some money on. Most of the shows I went to were in people’s basements or a gutted apartment above a nail salon on east lake st. turned into an illegal venue. There was never more than like 30 people there. At the time it was considered pretty antithetical to punk rock to mass produce stuff or involve the actual music industry in any way.

edit to add- Good Charlotte is not and was never a punk band. That’s a pop group. Which isn’t a bad thing at all.

25 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Most of the bands I’m referring to were super local and self recorded or were put out by a couple local labels which were just one guy operations doing it to help bands they liked (Felix Havoc, who started the Extreme Noise store, which is a co-op staffed by volunteers, was one of those) and I’m sure lost some money on. Most of the shows I went to were in people’s basements or a gutted apartment above a nail salon on east lake st. turned into an illegal venue. There was never more than like 30 people there. At the time it was considered pretty antithetical to punk rock to mass produce stuff or involve the actual music industry in any way.

edit to add- Good Charlotte is not and was never a punk band. That’s a pop group. Which isn’t a bad thing at all.

Of course not, that was the joke. I got a good kick when people would put them, Blink 182 or Jimmy Eats World on and say they were into punk. Now I'm not much of a punk expert, but you can hear pop music pretty easily. 

You must have been an old soul at a young age because you're not that much older than me and yet you often seem to describe rather different things despite us playing in the same area. I have no recall of a time when tattooing was illegal in Minneapolis. Getting music from underground bands was always easy. Shit, basement bands wanted to give you their demo cd, even if you made it clear you wouldn't take it for free. 

A concert in a gutted apartment building does sound rather fun though. 

At my pre-pandemic gig we had a training session on active shooters. It comprised of a power point presented by a member of county SWAT. Someone asked if we would ever do a drill and management consensus was nope because all it takes is one person who doesn't know it's a drill to escalate it to an active situation. Re: let's not find out by accident which employees have guns in their vehicles.

8 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I grew up in Tornado Alley as well.  I remember those tornado drills and getting in a fetal position in the windowless hallways.  I also remember that someone had to open the windows.  (I did a quick internet search just now.  Evidently, people aren't supposed to do that.) 

I too remember doing tornado drills more often than fire drills.

It literally dawned on me, 30+ years later, that the reason we didn't go out in the halls during tornado drills was because we spent all day staring at cinderblocks. During elementary school, none of my classrooms had windows.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Of course not, that was the joke. I got a good kick when people would put them, Blink 182 or Jimmy Eats World on and say they were into punk. Now I'm not much of a punk expert, but you can hear pop music pretty easily. 

You must have been an old soul at a young age because you're not that much older than me and yet you often seem to describe rather different things despite us playing in the same area. I have no recall of a time when tattooing was illegal in Minneapolis. Getting music from underground bands was always easy. Shit, basement bands wanted to give you their demo cd, even if you made it clear you wouldn't take it for free. 

A concert in a gutted apartment building does sound rather fun though. 

I didn’t personally tattoo when tattooing wasn’t legal in Minnesota, but I work with a few 30+ year tattooers who remember that time, and it wasn’t until the 90s that it was explicitly legal in all 50 states.

I got a head start on the punk scene by skipping school on a regular basis. While you were in class like you were supposed to be, I was making out with dudes with mohawks and digging through boxes of 7”s at the Noise and Cheapo when it used to be by the McDonald’s on Lagoon and had a huge section for punk records. You don’t find the seedy underbellies of things in class.

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I didn’t personally tattoo when tattooing wasn’t legal in Minnesota, but I work with a few 30+ year tattooers who remember that time, and it wasn’t until the 90s that it was explicitly legal in all 50 states.

And I may have played a hand in feeding their other criminal addictions.

I got a head start on the punk scene by skipping school on a regular basis. While you were in class like you were supposed to be, I was making out with dudes with mohawks and digging through boxes of 7”s at the Noise and Cheapo when it used to be by the McDonald’s on Lagoon and had a huge section for punk records. You don’t find the seedy underbellies of things in class.

Lol Kay. I skipped class most days. Pro tip, get the school nurse and the administrative staff to love you. Everything else slides. I always enjoyed smoking weed in the library, or in the bathrooms, or the locker room, or as we dipped from class and rolled around the lakes, but I must admit, doing so while we were running track was always a bit risky. Though it never had the same thrill as smoking a blunt on the Ferris wheel at the state fair.

I've never stepped foot in that McDonald's despite driving and walking past in thousands of times. Shit I've probably only used the drive-through once or twice (not much of a fast food fan). But swing a block or so over and you'd find me at one of my favorite Uptown spots in my teens and early twenties. 

51 minutes ago, Triskele said:

We had a video we watched, and it was quite demoralizing.   It had some kind of protocol one was intended to follow like a three step thing like "run, hide, fight" or something that one was to incorporate when said shootings happened.  

Was barricading the door part of it?

It was for us.

14 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Because mostly of the songs were from punk 7” records and it was easy to get a stereo with a turntable and recording tape deck for a reasonable price and basically impossible to get a turntable you could rip mp3 to computer for a not hideous amount of money to an 18 year old in 2001

Fuckin a.  I listened to tapes pretty much exclusively if I was on the move until like 2007, when my last Coby 'walkman' broke.  I remember when they discontinued them in 2003 or 4 I bought like 5 or 6 of them.  I hated the battery life and skipping on CD players, and yeah recording from mp3 or vinyl to tape was awesome, even just using winamps EQ to equalize volume.  Napster and limewire and Morpheus only had pretty mainstream shit unless you were super lucky.  I remember finding a bunch of Delroy Wilson on limewire and losing my shit.  Plus most broke musicians only had the old tascam 4 track to tape recorders until like '09, so if you wanted to listen to anything local or from friend or unpublished it was going to be on tape.

I also never had a car with a CD player or good suspension so a discman was just constantly skipping even with ESP.  tape deck for the win.

On 7/25/2020 at 4:54 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I'm guessing no one had any idea what was going on and the bomb shelter plan probably seemed like the best idea.

9/11, was my second week of college, I was living in DC 5 blocks from the whitehouse, was taking a shower when the first plane hit.  My roommates were glued to the TV, figured it was an accident.  One of them was from Manhattan and on the phone with his dad, who was looking at the towers, telling us what was happening on the ground.  Then I went to my 930 tragedy class, which let out halfway through when the school announced classes were cancelled for the rest of the day.  We were discussing Othello.

The second plane hit and they told us we weren't allowed to leave our dorm, and then the Pentagon got hit and I could see the smoke from the southside rooms on my floor.  That scared the shit out of me.  My room number was room 911, which didn't seem to mean much until weeks later when 9/11 started becoming the nomenclature.

One of my roommates and I walked out of the city once the Pentagon got hit and ended up out near Fairfax and cowboy camped in a park since there were still planes in the air and we were worried one might come down near our place.  

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

@larrytheimp,

That's interesting and I appreciate you sharing, but is it common for a class to just be called "tragedy? " Can't say that was a course I ever saw.

I dunno how common it is.  This was through the English Dept, was paired up with comedy.  The reading for tragedy was Hamlet, Othello, MacBeth, then a bunch of Brecht, Beckett.  Probably some others.

In comedy we read Lysistrata, Wilde, Wodehouse, Moliere, GBShaw,etc. 

17 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I dunno how common it is.  This was through the English Dept, was paired up with comedy.  The reading for tragedy was Hamlet, Othello, MacBeth, then a bunch of Brecht, Beckett.  Probably some others.

In comedy we read Lysistrata, Wilde, Wodehouse, Moliere, GBShaw,etc. 

Hmm, perhaps I just didn't take enough English or Lit courses. Never saw either, but both sound fun.

6 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

One of my roommates and I walked out of the city once the Pentagon got hit and ended up out near Fairfax and cowboy camped in a park since there were still planes in the air and we were worried one might come down near our place.  

Dang, DC to Fairfax is not an insignificant walk. I’m 1 year younger than you. I was a senior in high school and approximately 200 miles southwest of your location.

First plane hit during first period art class, second plane during my government class. My government teacher was a staunch conservative and kind of taught the class that way. She had these little stuffed elephants everywhere in the classroom.  At one point my friends and I stole one and tied it up and blindfolded it and took polaroids of it in my basement and would slide the pictures under the door to the classroom. To her credit, she got a kick out of it.  

Anyway as we were going from first to second period there was an announcement on the intercom that all teachers were to turn off the TV’s and get on with the day. My government teacher was like, fuck that.  She knew right away that this was a big deal and we watched the whole thing sitting in there. They eventually did let us all go home.

I don’t think I’ve ever been glued to the TV like I was that day.  It was a combination of it being such a big deal in general and me having just reached draftable age.  I definitely thought, well, here we go, turned 18 just in time to get called up to go fight whoever did this. Thankfully it didn’t come to a draft, but it did affect my life in ways that I wouldn’t have foreseen at the time. 

We don't have active shooter drills in Germany; our service club sent out and exchange student to the US and when she came back, she told us about her experiences and she said that the worst day was when there was a school lockdown because there was a shooting near the school, that she felt extreme anxiety. I don't know how American students deal with this, but it seems to me that having these kind of situations repeatedly cannot be very healthy for your mind.

I do remember the fire drills in my school, we hade one iirc every year so that everybody would know where to go, where to assemble etc.

13 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I dunno how common it is.

I also had a tragedy course.

I listened to tapes pretty late as well.  I am fairly confident that the last tape I ever bought was Tea Party's Transmission.  The first CD I ever bought was Faith No More's King For a Day...and the soundtrack to Immortal Beloved.  I bought these together.  The first CD I bought for my first portable CD player was Massive Attack's Mezzanine.

Archived