College Basketball 2020-2021: Battle in the Bubble

Rhom

Just to be clear, VCU has not had a positive test all year. They were tested every day for 3 weeks and nothing until late this week. They have locked down and done fuck all but work hard for the moment. The A10 championship ref gets sent home on a Monday for testing positive and now these kids lose out. I’m beyond livid.

18 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I’m beyond livid.

I bet Louisville is less than happy too.  They were the first alternate and would have been in if they were declared out earlier in the week.

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I bet Louisville is less than happy too.  They were the first alternate and would have been in if they were declared out earlier in the week.

Sure but they didn’t earn the right to be there.

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

Just to be clear, VCU has not had a positive test all year. They were tested every day for 3 weeks and nothing until late this week. They have locked down and done fuck all but work hard for the moment. The A10 championship ref gets sent home on a Monday for testing positive and now these kids lose out. I’m beyond livid.

That sucks.  I kind of hope it happens in the Championship game just to see what they do about it.

Wow!  WTF Texas??  They had 11 top 100 players on their team, and they're old as dirt.  Can Shaka keep his job after whiffing so badly with that combination of talent and experience?  Pathetic showing.

What a horrible performance by Uconn. That was seriously embarrassing at times. The amount of put backs and driving layups they missed was unreal. And Bouknight was bad, forcing it way too much. Ugly game. Ah well, at least they made it back I guess.

I’m loving Hurley, but please bring in some fucking shooters. 

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Six years at Texas, three missed tournaments (no way they make it in 2020), and three first round losses.  That's what $3.2M a year buys.

Serious question.  UK, UNC, and Duke will all be open within the next 5 years I believe.  (10 at the absolute most, but I think closer to 5.)

Who out there is “next”?!!?

When UNC plucked Roy, Self was pretty obviously a nearly sure thing.  Kentucky could have done right with either Donovan or Calipari.

Who is out there that you really believe is a bonafide top tier coach on the rise?  Duke has no plan anymore now that Wojo was fired and the Capels have been bad. Carolina loves to try to stay in the family tree too much.  Who is there for Kentucky to even look at?

Shaka and Chris Holtmann have underwhelmed.  Stevens doesn’t seem likely to leave anytime soon.  Chris Beard is likely the guy to be fought over, but he has a great salary and a job with low expectations.

Coaching ranks just seem really thin right now.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Who is out there that you really believe is a bonafide top tier coach on the rise?  Duke has no plan anymore now that Wojo was fired and the Capels have been bad. Carolina loves to try to stay in the family tree too much.  Who is there for Kentucky to even look at?

Nate Oats seems to be a popular name.  I'm not sure that his personality will fit it at a blue blood though.  The Loyola coach is definitely good, but at 52 I'm not sure he's going anywhere (especially since he didn't jump after their Final Four).  Beard is definitely who UK and Duke should target though.  But yeah, I don't know of any younger coaches that are doing really good things, maybe Mike Boynton if he can build on the success he had this year (but that was really all Cade Cunningham, so...).

Loyola deserved that win. They came out there with a gameplan and it worked to perfection. They're definitely underseeded.

That was a bad loss to a great season for Illinois. The first great season in years and Underwood has his worst coached game. This loss is gonna hurt for a while.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go drown my despair in ice cream.

13 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Six years at Texas, three missed tournaments (no way they make it in 2020), and three first round losses.  That's what $3.2M a year buys.

Texas is mentally weak under Shaka. There is no other way to account for their massive underperformance. My guess is that his style of coaching is not good for the personalities you have to deal with when you have a team full of blue chip recruits. There have been numerous games this year where you’ve seen a glimpse of discord and my guess is Shaka doesn’t have a tight handle on his locker room.

they wouldn’t have made it to the Big XII champ game if they had not avoided playing Kansas.

Archived