College Basketball 2020-2021: Battle in the Bubble

Rhom

19 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lifetime contract for a state's highest paid public employee. But we can't pay the players. :ack:

To be fair, Calipari’s contract is not paid through the university general athletic budget.  It’s through a different organization that is covered through donations, endorsements, etc.

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

To be fair, Calipari’s contract is not paid through the university general athletic budget.  It’s through a different organization that is covered through donations, endorsements, etc.

Also seems wrong, given the context of my post. Why can't they just do that for pay the players too? We're capitalists, right? 

Stop socializing your sports, Rhom. That's how we get Wisconsin. 

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also seems wrong, given the context of my post. Why can't they just do that for pay the players too? We're capitalists, right? 

Stop socializing your sports, Rhom. That's how we get Wisconsin. 

I mean... if you want the big money donors to have unlimited rights to give NIL deals and “cost of attendance,” we can do that; but you’ll never see Gonzaga and Baylor in the title game ever again. :dunno: 

So I know that @RedEyedGhost and I joke about Scott Drew back and forth mainly because he seems smarmy I guess... but serious question, why does his name not come up on lists of highly wanted coaches?  I never saw him on IU’s list... and he’s from Indiana!  

Is there something else I’m missing?  He’s winning at Baylor of all places.  I didn’t see his name in the Addidas junk.  Seems that he should be as desirable as anyone on the surface.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:33 AM, Rhom said:

I had forgotten that Mike Woodson was an IU alum... so that sorta makes sense... maybe?

Woodsons name has popped up as a coach candidate there for virtually every round of hiring since Knight left.

I had forgotten all about him but in retrospect it seems perfect now.

25 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I mean... if you want the big money donors to have unlimited rights to give NIL deals and “cost of attendance,” we can do that; but you’ll never see Gonzaga and Baylor in the title game ever again. :dunno: 

At least that way the shame would be over, no?

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

At least that way the shame would be over, no?

The shame of Rooferee John Higgins missing a shot clock violation to cost us the game will never die.

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

The shame of Rooferee John Higgins missing a shot clock violation to cost us the game will never die.

I meant to write sham, but you can cling to your past wounds. It's still not the same as Gary Anderson missing a FG to go to the Superb Owl after having a perfect fucking season.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I meant to write sham, but you can cling to your past wounds. It's still not the same as Gary Anderson missing a FG to go to the Superb Owl after having a perfect fucking season.

It was literally a perfect season...

And was then taken away by a ref’s missed call.

I won’t dismiss your pain. I get how that lives forever.  I still remember Harbaugh calling a timeout and the play it waived off being an obvious Kaepernick TD run.  Jimmy G missing a pass that would seal a win.  Missing a FG in that situation sucks.  But at least it was a football play.

26 minutes ago, Rhom said:

It was literally a perfect season...

And was then taken away by a ref’s missed call.

I won’t dismiss your pain. I get how that lives forever.  I still remember Harbaugh calling a timeout and the play it waived off being an obvious Kaepernick TD run.  Jimmy G missing a pass that would seal a win.  Missing a FG in that situation sucks.  But at least it was a football play.

We all have our ghosts.

Which team is the storied program and which is the lovable underdog right now? How times change.

5 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

This UCLA team has grit.

Cronin has always been a scrappy style coach.

First former Murray State head coach to make a Final Four!  (That’s my alma mater.)

UCLA definitely came to play.  Good game so far.  Some pretty poor FT shooting though.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

So I know that @RedEyedGhost and I joke about Scott Drew back and forth mainly because he seems smarmy I guess... but serious question, why does his name not come up on lists of highly wanted coaches?  I never saw him on IU’s list... and he’s from Indiana!  

Is there something else I’m missing?  He’s winning at Baylor of all places.  I didn’t see his name in the Addidas junk.  Seems that he should be as desirable as anyone on the surface.

There's no "seems" about it, he is as smarmy as the day is long.  I think ADs at other schools know this, and that's why there's never been any real interest in him.  

Archived