Sign in to follow this  
Killjoybear

US Politics: Ruthless ambition

20 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I mean, if Roberts was concerned about his legacy and the legitimacy of the court, maybe he would have had a different opinion on Citizens United.

eta: the part I bolded is where the details matter, and I think, are largely irrelevant.  If it had gone to the SC, even with RBG there it was already fucked.  

Citizens United is a case that enhances his legacy among the people that share the ideology he's espoused throughout his entire career.  Conservatives or "textualists" are proud the court established that money = speech.  CU also had no impact on the public opinion regarding legitimacy of the court, and is unlikely to in the future - the people that (rightly, myself included) think the decision was appalling already had/have strong disapproval of the Roberts court.

As for the bolded, again I just disagree.  If Biden wins convincingly but Trump tries to bullshit his way to an EC victory by challenging results in a handful of swing states, I think there is a significant difference in how Gorsuch would rule compared to how Roberts would if he was still the swing vote.

For some unknown reason, the Oscars had Eminem perform this year. I suspect anticipation of this situation is why and the audience seems to interpret it the same way. Acknowledging the seriousness of a situation and feeling the fear is one thing, but letting it affect you and your actions is a choice. I've been repeating Pelosi's "we don't agonize, we organize" to myself a lot lately.

Almost eerie how relevant this is. Even down to Salem's Lot.

-------------------------------------

Or more relevant to this site:

AGOT Bran I

"Yes, Father," Bran told him. He looked up. Wrapped in his furs and leathers, mounted on his great warhorse, his lord father loomed over him like a giant. "Robb says the man died bravely, but Jon says he was afraid."

"What do you think?" his father asked.

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.

Edited by Lollygag

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

In a "Biden can still win" sense or in a "It will be OK if Trump wins" sense?

Embrace your inner "guy waving a cowboy hat as he rides a nuclear bomb plummeting to earth."

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Embrace your inner "guy waving a cowboy hat as he rides a nuclear bomb plummeting to earth."

If you're gonna reference Slim Pickens then give him proper citation:

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Citizens United is a case that enhances his legacy among the people that share the ideology he's espoused throughout his entire career.  Conservatives or "textualists" are proud the court established that money = speech.  CU also had no impact on the public opinion regarding legitimacy of the court, and is unlikely to in the future - the people that (rightly, myself included) think the decision was appalling already had/have strong disapproval of the Roberts court.

As for the bolded, again I just disagree.  If Biden wins convincingly but Trump tries to bullshit his way to an EC victory by challenging results in a handful of swing states, I think there is a significant difference in how Gorsuch would rule compared to how Roberts would if he was still the swing vote.

Bolded: totally.  Now apply that method to any election related decision.  

If you were relying on the goodness and grace of John Fucking Roberts to delay the collapse of whatever the fuck this country is, I don't know what to tell you guys.  Yeah, Gorsuch is less likely to do that.  Doesn't really matter when Roberts was going to shit the bed to begin with .

To your bolded point: how would getting Trump a second term enhance Roberts' legacy among the people who share the ideology he's espoused his entire career?

Edited by larrytheimp

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

You know all those "Trump is gonna replace Pence with Haley" or whatever arguments?  Those seem deader than dead now, right?

Actuaries would predict that Trump would have a great chance of dying in his 2nd term given age/lifestyle/diet/weight.  Obviously he is sustained by supernatural forces, but it feels not too far-fetched, just like all the "Harris will be POTUS soon talk" that a "Pence will be POTUS soon" statement isn't too crazy.  

Pence would be more on the "let's turn America's women into handmaids" side of the authoritarian coin to Trump's "let's get those looters put down by force" side.  

Jace the Patriot hopes for both.  

I still maintain there is a 50-50 shot (with little supporting evidence) that Trump has a major 'cardiac event' in the next few months.  Said event, of course, will immediately be declared an (attempted?) assassination...

4 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Obviously he is sustained by supernatural forces,

But it's the liberal elites that are pedophiles who are eating children to extend their lives. Lives that die quicker because they exercise, hence the need for the pedophilia and the cannibalism so they can recharge their batteries!!!1!1!!

Just now, larrytheimp said:

Bolded: totally.  Now apply that method to any election related decision.  

The two are fundamentally different.  Only strong partisans give a shit about Citizens United, everyone cares about a case deciding a contested presidential election.  The court did take a hit in legitimacy following Bush v Gore, obviously based on Dems and Dem-leaning Independents.  That would be peanuts compared to the court doing so on the first count, let alone a recount, in the way we're describing.  That's why there's no credible basis to apply that method to such a situation.

9 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

If you were relying on the goodness and grace of John Fucking Roberts to delay the collapse of whatever the fuck this country is, I don't know what to tell you guys.

I hate when people pull this dumbass rhetoric.  It's not about relying on Roberts' goodness and grace, it's about understanding his positioning which is based on his own self-interest and demonstrated through observing his behavior as CJ over the past 15 years.  That's called empirical analysis.

Trump: ‘I’m so angry at Republicans’
The president says his fellow Republicans have let him it down when it comes to investigating Obama and the Bidens.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/21/trump-angry-republicans-419790

President Donald Trump said Monday he was furious with Republicans in Washington for not doing enough to take up his unsubstantiated claims about former Obama administration officials and Hunter Biden.

“Does anything happen? Nothing happens,” Trump said at an event in Dayton, Ohio. “I’m so angry at Republicans. I am. I’m so angry. I am so angry, but a lot of things are happening.”

For months, Trump has tried to spur sweeping investigations into President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden over insinuations about the FBI’s surveillance of Trump campaign associates that he’s dubbed “Obamagate.”

Those calls had largely gone unheeded by Republicans who control the Senate until they nabbed a foothold recently after the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs committee voted to authorize more than three dozen subpoenas and depositions to compel testimony from former FBI Director James Comey and others.

Trump lashed out at Comey, a frequent target of his, accusing him and “all the sleazebags” of “treason.”

“They spied on my campaign, and we caught ‘em,” Trump said in Dayton during an event billed as being about jobs and fighting for American workers. “Let‘s now see what happens.”

The president claimed that he is “trying like hell to stay out of” investigating his political enemies ahead of a highly contentious election. Emotions are likely to be ratcheted up further in the wake of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death Friday. Republican operatives have credited a high court vacancy with partially fueling his 2016 victory over Hillary Clinton.

“I don’t have to actually, but it’s better if I do, I think,” Trump said of investigations. “I’m trying to stay out of it, but it’s a disgrace that it’s taken this long.”

17 minutes ago, Triskele said:

You know all those "Trump is gonna replace Pence with Haley" or whatever arguments?  Those seem deader than dead now, right?

Actuaries would predict that Trump would have a great chance of dying in his 2nd term given age/lifestyle/diet/weight.  Obviously he is sustained by supernatural forces*, but it feels not too far-fetched, just like all the "Harris will be POTUS soon talk" that a "Pence will be POTUS soon" statement isn't too crazy.  

Pence would be more on the "let's turn America's women into handmaids" side of the authoritarian coin to Trump's "let's get those looters put down by force" side.  

*he rots from the outside because Hell sustains him from within**

**Sorry to those that follow

Sorry for the double post. Whatever happened to the generals running in to the room to tackle Trump and then the Cabinet would vote him mentally unsound? Seems like a million years ago.

12 minutes ago, Triskele said:

This is my thing about the Star Wars analogy.  The only thing protecting the Obamas from retribution from a sociopath are Republican senators.  

And the Constitution, said with a straight face.

36 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Pence will be gone within a year of any reelection to install Ivanka in his place.  Book it.

43 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Actuaries would predict that Trump would have a great chance of dying in his 2nd term given age/lifestyle/diet/weight.  Obviously he is sustained by supernatural forces, but it feels not too far-fetched, just like all the "Harris will be POTUS soon talk" that a "Pence will be POTUS soon" statement isn't too crazy.  

You wrong me, monkey. I hope for nothing so much more than the summation of our peoples' desire. That our condition has become so riddled through that malignance has grown to choke moderation is not an accident or insult to our collective, but a societal metastaization. This being our fruit, who would I be to deny what succor can be borne from this late democracy we and our forebears have so mismanaged? The hour for recompense is long since passed. The need for reform an unanswerable klaxon, peals of degradation to which this despicable citizenry has long since been inured. Your government was ground to a halt on the whims of an unstable imbecile. Nay more, your government has been refocused to affecting for said imbecile and his compatriots to the literal ruining of many hundreds of thousands of lives, to say nothing of the capital thievery. The very fact that these precedents have been set precludes any hope for me save survival. I would like to live, and I've long since realized that whether the American people deserve their imminent immolation or not is irrelevant. Inaction or incompetence on the part of the public counts for no reprieve, this accord was impressed and our society failed to respond.

That's all I got. I'm trying to watch football.

40 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I hope for nothing so much more than the summation of our peoples' desire. 

That's all I got. I'm trying to watch football.

Use your witch powers and have the Saints win this.

Edit: That penalty was completely unnecessary. Did I wrong you in another life?

Edited by A True Kaniggit

16 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Use your witch powers and have the Saints win this.

Edit: That penalty was completely unnecessary. Did I wrong you in another life?

Go put a paper bag on your head! 

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

In a "Biden can still win" sense or in a "It will be OK if Trump wins" sense?

Both to some extent, though I was more referring to the former. I think the risk to the election is the same as it was before, not 0% certainly, but even accounting for the possibility of cheating I think Biden is the odds-on favorite.

And if Trump wins, I see a future much like Hungary under Orban right now. A bad future certainly, and at least a short-term end to democracy in the US, but not literal Nazi Germany either.

11 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

It’s too late for that.

Far too late. 

It puts the bag on its head or else it gets the old noodle arm QB again! 

Edited by Tywin et al.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

And if Trump wins, I see a future much like Hungary under Orban right now. A bad future certainly, and at least a short-term end to democracy in the US, but not literal Nazi Germany either.

This right here is what the real issue is.

That as it turns out, authoritarian governments aren't, ya know, all that bad. It's certainly an end to democracy and whatnot, but it's at least not 6 million people murdered. Sure, the press isn't actually free anymore, there's a state of emergency that can not actually be dismissed by anyone other than Orban, universities are closed down because they're run by the wrong people, migrants and refugees are turned away via violence...but it's not so bad, right?

Especially if you're not one of those immigrants!