Football: The fall of mighty teams in silent stadiums

A Horse Named Stranger

Leipzig just got knackered by their high press 1st half, then Bruno & Rashford came on and it wasn't for joking. McTominay's entrance was a boost too, as Matic was really not having a good game.

Delighted for Rashford to get his 1st hat-trick, as for Martial to be back on the score sheet.

Hope we just don't go back the conservative way against Arsenal...

3 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Hope we just don't go back the conservative way against Arsenal...

tbf we haven't really been any less conservative against Leipzig than against Chelsea or PSG, the plan just came together better and the players are starting to gel into the diamond formation.

24 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm a bit confused by this win coz it wasn't even hard - we've played well, but not brilliantly. And Lepizig weren't bad till the last few minutes.

We were clinical (5 goals from 7 shots on target). Those were also high quality chances as well. Leipzig played decently but as the game wore on and gaps started to open up, we murdered them on the counter. 

9 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

We were clinical (5 goals from 7 shots on target). Those were also high quality chances as well. Leipzig played decently but as the game wore on and gaps started to open up, we murdered them on the counter. 

Bruno and Rashford coming on definitely also helped. Especially since when Pogba is in his right position, defending against him and Bruno at the same time is really really fucking difficult.  It's genuinely remarakable how much better he is at looking after the ball and beating the press when playing the box-to-box type role over the deep-lying playmaker.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Bruno and Rashford coming on definitely also helped. Especially since when Pogba is in his right position, defending against him and Bruno at the same time is really really fucking difficult.  It's genuinely remarakable how much better he is at looking after the ball and beating the press when playing the box-to-box type role over the deep-lying playmaker.

Yeah, Pogba is kinda wasted if he's played deep. He's got the passing range but not the defensive awareness to play as the deepest midfielder. As you say, he's also weirdly susceptible to losing possession from a deep position as well. What we need is a Mousa Dembele type player to replace Matic and our midfield would be very well balanced. The diamond worked well because all of Pogba, Bruno and Van De Beek can be played in their best positions. For now we have no right wing no matter what formation we play so we should rather stick with the diamond rather than revert to a 4-2-3-1. 

I wasn't able to watch any games, only highlights. Glad to see Chelsea maintain yet another clean sheet. Ziyech finally got to show his skills, and looked to be among the most dangerous players. Jorginho should no longer be first penalty taker, his style and ability to execute it is awful. Give the spot to Werner, or rotate it among several players.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I wasn't able to watch any games, only highlights. Glad to see Chelsea maintain yet another clean sheet. Ziyech finally got to show his skills, and looked to be among the most dangerous players. Jorginho should no longer be first penalty taker, his style and ability to execute it is awful. Give the spot to Werner, or rotate it among several players.

It's frustrating how little they've been on here, and CL matches are near impossible to find. 

My MLS team just won on an own goal just before stoppage time. Shitty way for the other team to lose, but I'll take it. 

51 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's frustrating how little they've been on here, and CL matches are near impossible to find. 

My MLS team just won on an own goal just before stoppage time. Shitty way for the other team to lose, but I'll take it. 

I'm paying for CBS AllAccess, but if there is a method to record the live games, I haven't found it yet. 

17 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'm paying for CBS AllAccess, but if there is a method to record the live games, I haven't found it yet. 

I have nearly 2,000 channels and maybe get five EPL games. I get a few of the other leagues here and there. CL is nonexistent. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have nearly 2,000 channels and maybe get five EPL games. I get a few of the other leagues here and there. CL is nonexistent. 

In the US. It's either CBS or Univision.

AFAIK CBS is stuffed them into their online CBS all access.

Guess it's either pay up, brush up your Spanish skills for Univision. Or you go semi-legal with unauthorized streams. No idea how hard law-enforcement goes after you for that in the US.

7 hours ago, Consigliere said:

What we need is a Mousa Dembele type player to replace Matic and our midfield would be very well balanced.

I guess that's why we made at least a token attempt to sign Bellingham in the summer. I assume we'll be chasing Camavinga who seems at least a little similar, the reputation on that kid's head is genuinely unfair to him at this point.

Madrid is probably most likely but I can see him ending up at City for 120mil when Pep decides he's the answer to their midfield problems.

Mbappe's destination probably depends on how much Madrid decide they want Haaland. They'll get one, but not both unless they don't go from where they are in the same summer.

Mbappe has been Perez's top priority for a while now. I think Real will make a move for him at the end of the season - he will have 1 year remaining on his contract and reportedly PSG's approaches for a contract renewal have not gone well. Haaland has a release clause of €75m which becomes active in June 2022.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Mbappe's destination probably depends on how much Madrid decide they want Haaland. They'll get one, but not both unless they don't go from where they are in the same summer.

Haaland's release clause apparently doesn't become active until 2022 so I'd think he'll probably be staying at Dortmund until then.

ETA: Heh, I probably should have read the rest of the thread before posting. This is a little redundant.

15 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Haaland has a release clause of €75m which becomes active in June 2022.

Man if he continues to play as well as he has been so far that's gonna be seen as a bargain unless Covid is still collapsing revenues by then, there's gonna be such a scrap for his signature when that happens. His wages are gonna be insane.

Just now, polishgenius said:

Man if he continues to play as well as he has been so far that's gonna be seen as a bargain unless Covid is still collapsing revenues by then, there's gonna be such a scrap for his signature when that happens. His wages are gonna be insane.

Wages and agent fee. With Haaland the buying club will have to pay commission for two agents basically - one for his father and one for Raiola. There were reports that Dortmund payed as much as €25m in agent fees to his father and Raiola and that was on a €20m transfer fee.

It was a great piece of business by Raiola though. By 2022 there are going to be a number of rich clubs looking for a long term CF. That release clause does look a bargain so Raiola and Alf-Inge are gonna make a killing in commissions.

Only caught part of the game but Spurs looked quite dreary against Antwerp. Didn't create anything worth speaking of and it ended up being a comfortable win for Antwerp who could have gotten more goals themselves but squandered a couple of big chances.

Also looks like Dalot had a good game for AC Milan. Got himself a goal and an assist.

Archived