NFL 2020: Vanity of Vanity; All is Vanity

Jace, Extat

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

Says you.  Pretty sure I saw them nearly win the Super Bowl last year, so I think a lateral move could well be good enough.

Which again would be what? And at what cost? You don't have many options. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Which again would be what? And at what cost? You don't have many options. 

For the third fucking time, I don't know.  This is why I did not apply to be the niners GM.  Fitzpatrick does seem to be something I'd look into.  Like I said, maybe Shanahan really likes the Oregon QB or someone else in the draft.  Maybe other options open up.  The notion that replacing Jimmy's production of a middling QB that barely ever has to throw past 10 yards will be impossible to find this offseason is highly dubious.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

For the third fucking time, I don't know.  This is why I did not apply to be the niners GM.  Fitzpatrick does seem to be something I'd look into.  Like I said, maybe Shanahan really likes the Oregon QB or someone else in the draft.  Maybe other options open up.  The notion that replacing Jimmy's production of a middling QB that barely ever has to throw past 10 yards will be impossible to find this offseason is highly dubious.

Those are bad to wait and see options. You were in the SB last year, and you would have won it with a good QB. So pay, and yes overpay, if you have to. Or do the same to set up your future. This is not the time to be passive. If a top 10 QB can be had for two firsts and a little more you do it, full stop, no questions asked unless the guy is a bad fit. Gambling on an interchanged middling QB is not a great idea, and they will cost more than a rookie anyways. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Those are bad to wait and see options. You were in the SB last year, and you would have won it with a good QB. So pay, and yes overpay, if you have to. Or do the same to set up your future. This is not the time to be passive. If a top 10 QB can be had for two firsts and a little more you do it, full stop, no questions asked unless the guy is a bad fit. Gambling on an interchanged middling QB is not a great idea, and they will cost more than a rookie anyways. 

You acting like "being aggressive" by mortgaging the future in order to acquire a top-line QB is the only way to maximize their short-term potential to compete is complete horseshit.  As for setting up for the future - that's literally what I just said in terms of finding a QB in the draft.  They're not getting Lawrence or Fields, but they could very well have a chance at anyone else.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

You acting like "being aggressive" by mortgaging the future in order to acquire a top-line QB is the only way to maximize their short-term potential to compete is complete horseshit.  As for setting up for the future - that's literally what I just said in terms of finding a QB in the draft.  They're not getting Lawrence or Fields, but they could very well have a chance at anyone else.

It's not the only way, but it's the best way and if done right, you set yourself up for multiple championship runs and if it fails, you would hope your fans respect that you tried. Bold moves don't always pay off, but I'd take trying and failing big over a risk-averse strategy that leaves you middling year after year. There are some above average veteran QBs that can be had, but the price won't be cheap. Pay it, especially if you can differ the picks a bit. Or trade up for Fields, considering Lawrence probably can't be had unless the Jets have the top pick and are forced to trade it. But don't tell yourself that if only you had a Mitzmagic of this world it could all be okay........

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's not the only way, but it's the best way

There's not much left to say about your completely unfounded insistence it's the best way other than...

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not the one that thought for a second that Mitzmagic, or there about, could be the missing piece...

:rolleyes:  Using him as an example of someone that could replicate Jimmy's production is hardly characterizing him as "the missing piece."

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

NFL to fine Raiders/Gruden and take a sixth round draft pick for repeat COVID violations

Whoa... a sixth rounder... lets not get too crazy here boys!!!!

To an NFL team that is actually a much more meaningful penalty than what they usually do.  At the very least it makes clear that the punishment may be severe if they are caught again. 

Well this is a weird and fucked up story -- Jets players informed the NFLPA that there were hidden cameras in their locker room. The Jets org said, "Nah, we've had those for years and we told the players." And players from the period specified said they had never been informed of such a thing.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-hidden-cameras-locker-room-20201107-7yypllxtwjcn5oxacjsqxlsgoe-story.html

32 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Well this is a weird and fucked up story -- Jets players informed the NFLPA that there were hidden cameras in their locker room. The Jets org said, "Nah, we've had those for years and we told the players." And players from the period specified said they had never been informed of such a thing.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-hidden-cameras-locker-room-20201107-7yypllxtwjcn5oxacjsqxlsgoe-story.html

That's just a bizarre story all around... If its for security reasons like they say (keeping an eye on player personal effects, etc) then why would it need to be hidden?  I'm trying to wrap my mind around why they would need hidden cameras to begin with.  :wacko:

Certainly it would have been good to have in the Penn State locker room years ago (as an example) but in that situation, overt cameras would be just as (if not moreso) effective.

53 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Certainly it would have been good to have in the Penn State locker room years ago (as an example) but in that situation, overt cameras would be just as (if not moreso) effective.

:lmao:

You think those cameras are meant to hold people accountable???? :rofl:

What kind of football do you watch man? If there were cameras in the Penn State smoke detector the staff would have watched the video and then made fun of the kids getting raped for being so faggy. Seriously, man. This is the same type of culture that pimps out cheerleaders overseas.

9 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

:lmao:

You think those cameras are meant to hold people accountable???? :rofl:

What kind of football do you watch man? If there were cameras in the Penn State smoke detector the staff would have watched the video and then made fun of the kids getting raped for being so faggy. Seriously, man. This is the same type of culture that pimps out cheerleaders overseas.

:dunno: 

Just can’t conceptualize any reason that a corporation would install a hidden camera in the locker room.

Somewhere someone could steal money from the till?  Supplies in the warehouse?  Sure.  But in the locker room?  Just don’t see how that ever got approval.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

:dunno: 

Just can’t conceptualize any reason that a corporation would install a hidden camera in the locker room.

Somewhere someone could steal money from the till?  Supplies in the warehouse?  Sure.  But in the locker room?  Just don’t see how that ever got approval.

Are you aware of what the Redskins "Football Team" are accused of filming and distributing around the office? 

12 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I doubt I carried this post over properly, but that poor ginger suffered enough for 9 years as a Bungle that I'll give him a pass this go round...but as a ginger, he has no soul.

He was the reason for much of the suffering...

Also, Ben is fat. 

40 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

He was the reason for much of the suffering...

Also, Ben is fat. 

You'd know better than I, but I think he maybe shoulders more of the blame than he should. Dude wasn't exactly Joe Montana, but he was pretty solid for 5 years. Most teams would take that these days.

I don't care if he gets to Jared Lorenzen levels of fat if he keeps playing like he has so far this season. :D

2 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

You'd know better than I, but I think he maybe shoulders more of the blame than he should. Dude wasn't exactly Joe Montana, but he was pretty solid for 5 years. Most teams would take that these days.

I don't care if he gets to Jared Lorenzen levels of fat if he keeps playing like he has so far this season. :D

Dalton had some really good teams around him for his first 5 years, and he shit the bed time after time in the playoffs. Seriously, look up his postseason stats if you want a good laugh. 

It’s all good though, the future is now very bright at QB in Cincinnati. 

Archived