NBA 2021

DireWolfSpirit

This is fascinating. Rather disturbing, but fascinating. Check out the crypto currency of sports moments and memorabilia:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/can-nba-top-shot-become-basketballs-bitcoin/id1482680261?i=1000509660610

On 2/16/2021 at 1:11 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

The Pelicans aren't just under performing, they are awful.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30932533/new-orleans-pelicans-routed-phoenix-suns-disastrous-4th-quarter

Van Gundy's tenure may have to be short leashed, if he can't get these guys to play better defense than this, his job may soon be in jeopardy.

Stupid Magic have won two in a row - launching them from the fourth to the seventh worst team - including a win against the Warriors.  C'mon Warriors!

Also, on Zion, saw this comparison that demonstrates there is no comparison when it comes to his scoring productivity and efficiency at his age.  No player 20 or younger has averaged at least 24 points with a TS% of .650 in NBA history - until now.  Blake Griffin at 20?  Sat out his entire rookie season due to a stress fracture to his left knee.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Stupid Magic have won two in a row - launching them from the fourth to the seventh worst team - including a win against the Warriors.  C'mon Warriors!

Could be three.

Also, Carter-Williams has been on the Magic since 2018? Shit. 

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, trade Vucevic already then.

Speaking of worst teams, who do we expect to be competing for it? Detroit and Minnesota are down now and probably can't make up the difference, but the rest haven't quite separated from the pack. Cleveland might, but they might also rebound from their freefall now that they're not forcing Drummond and Allen together.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Could be three.

Indeed.

15 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Well, trade Vucevic already then.

If wishes were horses.

15 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Speaking of worst teams, who do we expect to be competing for it? Detroit and Minnesota are down now and probably can't make up the difference, but the rest haven't quite separated from the pack. Cleveland might

Yeah Cleveland looks pretty shitty.  So did the Wizards before winning 4 in a row.  Right now the latter is the fourth worst team, only 3.5 games behind the Celtics, who are the 17th worst team at .500 (and the sixth seed in the East).  So, yeah, they're bunched up pretty good right now.

34 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Shit. I didnt realise Jokic went 'that' low in the draft. Current trajectory, is he the best draft steal of all time? 

Well, Manu is pretty much inarguably the greatest second rounder of all time.  Based on current trajectory, yeah, Jokic should over take him in 4-5 years.  Of course, Manu also was the second to last player drafted at all, so that's pretty cool.

In terms of first rounders, Kobe dropping to 13th has to be the biggest "steal" in terms of all-time greats.  Kawhi at 15 could maybe give him a run for his money when all is said and done.

Or Giannis (also 15). 

I personally think that Jokic isn't a lock to overtake Manu.  If he keeps up his current level for another 4-5 years he will, but that is a lot easier said than done, particularly for a big man. 

Yeah I definitely don't think it's a lock either - especially considering that when you take into account the assists his production right now is bonkers for a big man.  One thing he does got going for him is European big men seem to age much better than our domestic variety (at least the ones that make it), and I was surprised to see he only just turned 26.

Most 2nd round picks who become NBA stars take a couple of years to get their legs under them and improve (see Marc Gasol).  Jokic was on the all-nba rookie team and then was all-nba first team in his third year.  Very unusual, and a real failure of scouting. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

Most 2nd round picks who become NBA stars take a couple of years to get their legs under them and improve (see Marc Gasol).  Jokic was on the all-nba rookie team and then was all-nba first team in his third year.  Very unusual, and a real failure of scouting

Not really, considering that he came from a team that doesn't play in Euroleague, which is Europe's top competition. Hell, they even miss Adriatic league play-offs most years. It's a well-run club and it has a lot of drafted players compared to its size and success but it's still not a big club that would allow their players to get tested on biggest stage on the continent. I don't think scouts are willing to risk it with first round picks.

Also, I'm not sure Jokic would be anywhere this good had he been drafted by a club other than Denver who were quite patient with him regarding getting his body up to standard and all that. Had a title contender drafted him, he'd probably end up bouncing between NBA and G League for a couple of seasons and then move back to Europe.

There's just not much patience for players who don't fit the mould like him.

52 minutes ago, baxus said:

Also, I'm not sure Jokic would be anywhere this good had he been drafted by a club other than Denver who were quite patient with him regarding getting his body up to standard and all that. Had a title contender drafted him, he'd probably end up bouncing between NBA and G League for a couple of seasons and then move back to Europe.

There's just not much patience for players who don't fit the mould like him.

I feel like it is hard to square this with the fact that Jokic was indeed very good right out of the gate.  He was playing 22 minutes a game as a rookie, which for a second round pick is extremely unusual.  Good chance that a worse team would have tried to jam him into a more traditional role that he's less suited for, but even still he'd be seeing the court, and it's not like passing big men are so unusual - just look at Marc Gasol. 

I always hear the joke from my favorite show that Jokic's arms are always red and that he usually bleeds from them. This Portland-Nuggets game is great, and yet, the whole time his arms have been red as fuck and he just had to be taken off the court because he started bleeding. 

Is this just the body he's trapped in?

3 hours ago, baxus said:

I was under the impression that saying was because Jokic got fouled so hard and so often, not that he's bleeding because of something regarding his body type.

Could be a bit of both, but it's just odd that he's always red and bleeding. 

Also, he's really strong despite having like no muscle definition at all.

Archived