POV Reflections.

Knights of Autumn

Howdy folks, long time lurker first time poster! 

Apologies if already asked... I was curious as to peoples views on newer POV characters set in older books. If you could revisit certain period already covered but in the lens of say Cersei or Sam.  Not a whole new POV like say Rob or Littlefinger, but one who has already been established as one. Which would be of most interest to you? Foy myself, Barristan Selmy in GOT id find highly interesting. Seeing his views on Robert closer and his musings on his previous service to the Targs. Whereas a Victarian chapter in COK not so much. Which of these POV character revisited in a previous book would give that novel a more interesting take on events? 

1 hour ago, Knights of Autumn said:

Apologies if already asked... I was curious as to peoples views on newer POV characters set in older books. If you could revisit certain period already covered but in the lens of say Cersei or Sam.  Not a whole new POV like say Rob or Littlefinger, but one who has already been established as one. Which would be of most interest to you? Foy myself, Barristan Selmy in GOT id find highly interesting. Seeing his views on Robert closer and his musings on his previous service to the Targs. Whereas a Victarian chapter in COK not so much. Which of these POV character revisited in a previous book would give that novel a more interesting take on events? 

I’d have loved Jaime’s POV at Whispering Wood. It would have been a really good contrast to Tyrion’s chapter at the Green Fork. The hated Lannister brother scared of his first big battle and experiencing a victory, followed by the beloved Lannister brother allowing his boredom and arrogance to lead him into a terrifying ambush and utter defeat.

13 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

I’d have loved Jaime’s POV at Whispering Wood. It would have been a really good contrast to Tyrion’s chapter at the Green Fork. The hated Lannister brother scared of his first big battle and experiencing a victory, followed by the beloved Lannister brother allowing his boredom and arrogance to lead him into a terrifying ambush and utter defeat.

Yes, these are the wee moments that would gain a little more nuggets of information without altering the overall plot. Pre SOS Jamie would be full arrogant mode, since he was somewhat humbled in his first chapter.  

I think some characters would not offer much in the way of interesting interactions, Davos for example in GOT maybe would not offer much as Stannis absence does make him the all more intriguing.  Theon maybe in GOT and seeing his inner thoughts at the events surrounding him as well.

Honestly, every answer in this post (including the one in the OP) had me nod my head to the computer. 

I know GRRM didn't want a king POV, but I would love to see what Robb and Greywind's relationship was like, and what Robb felt like during his crowning, and how rulership affected him.

I think a Lysa POV would be interesting just to be inside her warped mind, and her death scene would've been an interesting one to visit, given everything that was rushing through her mind.

Seeing Joff evolve before and after Robert died would've been great.

Being inside Dolorous Edd's mind would be fantastic, tho I don't have a chosen time for this.

I think the bitter nostalgia that must be under the cover of Robert's jolyness is something that I would love to read and GRRM would be great at writing.

8 hours ago, Knights of Autumn said:

Welcome to the forum.  Hard to top any of the great characters posted above.  Being in Selmy's head from the beginning would have cleared up so much about the little we really know of him.  He's an interesting guy with really interesting motives.  He's searching to grab hold of the part of himself that really matters most:  his job.  I was under the impression Varys confirmed the hit on Dany so it would be very interesting to know why he went after her and what he was thinking when he did.   He would not allow the Lannisters to smirk at his life work.  His exit from the throne room is an excellent scene.    Was Barristan the Bold out for revenge or was there some real allegiance to the Targarayans?   Can't put my finger on it exactly, but it always felt like a Catelyn/Brienne sort of fast and furious, you are my honor's last hope sort of er relationship or maybe more of the type of relationship Barristan wanted with Dany.   Idealized or not.  There, you made your first friend at Westeros.org!  

56 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I was under the impression Varys confirmed the hit on Dany so it would be very interesting to know why he went after her and what he was thinking when he did.   

I think he went looking for Viserys, not Dany

4 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Honestly, every answer in this post (including the one in the OP) had me nod my head to the computer. 

I know GRRM didn't want a king POV, but I would love to see what Robb and Greywind's relationship was like, and what Robb felt like during his crowning, and how rulership affected him.

I think a Lysa POV would be interesting just to be inside her warped mind, and her death scene would've been an interesting one to visit, given everything that was rushing through her mind.

Seeing Joff evolve before and after Robert died would've been great.

Being inside Dolorous Edd's mind would be fantastic, tho I don't have a chosen time for this.

I think the bitter nostalgia that must be under the cover of Robert's jolyness is something that I would love to read and GRRM would be great at writing.

:agree:

1 hour ago, CamiloRP said:

I think he went looking for Viserys, not Dany

You made me stop and reality check myself.  

Ned did not honor that with a reply. Nor did he offer his guest a seat, but Littlefinger took one anyway. "After you stormed out, it was left to me to convince them not to hire the Faceless Men," he continued blithely. "Instead Varys will quietly let it be known that we'll make a lord of whoever does in the Targaryen girl."

Ned was disgusted. "So now we grant titles to assassins."   AGOT Eddard VIII

13 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

You made me stop and reality check myself.  

Ned did not honor that with a reply. Nor did he offer his guest a seat, but Littlefinger took one anyway. "After you stormed out, it was left to me to convince them not to hire the Faceless Men," he continued blithely. "Instead Varys will quietly let it be known that we'll make a lord of whoever does in the Targaryen girl."

Ned was disgusted. "So now we grant titles to assassins."   AGOT Eddard VIII

I meant that Selmy went east to serve Viserys, not Dany.

10 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Either way, it's good to get in the text and I was delighted to not be remembering something from another medium!

ahhahahah I get it

Archived