Back on my BS - Owl Box Edition

Mlle. Zabzie

39 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Having owls living in your garden does sound cool (although the combination of owls and cats does seem like a potential concern). How do you attract the owls to the box once you've put it into the tree?

Our cats are strictly indoor.  Otherwise our dumb but pretty selection of bluebirds would be much diminished, and that would be a shame.  (But more seriously, there are foxes, coyote, bobcat, ravens, etc. around, all of whom would think our dumb but beautiful feline overlords would be a tasty snack).  

On your second question, I was sort of going to take the "if you build it, they will come" philosophy of life.  It's worked for every other bird box I've ever put up.  Mind you, I don't always get the advertised species, but I usually get SOMETHING.  

40 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I'd just like to let it be known that I was anti-FB long before it was cool.

:smoking: 

But have you been pro-owl since before it was cool?

Also - Facebook in its original iteration was great. Connect with people at your university, check out some student groups, etc. I am not a man of vision, though, and did not see it for what it could (and would) become...

Pandemic Panda hasn't gained any new skills. I just play different video games. I keep thinking I should take up a new hobby, but random life wrenches get thrown my way and I gotta dodge 'em.

1 hour ago, Lightning Lord said:

Also - Facebook in its original iteration was great. Connect with people at your university, check out some student groups, etc. I am not a man of vision, though, and did not see it for what it could (and would) become...

Pandemic Panda hasn't gained any new skills. I just play different video games. I keep thinking I should take up a new hobby, but random life wrenches get thrown my way and I gotta dodge 'em.

All of my pandemic hobbies are old hobbies that I'm actually spending more time on.  So, I was a half assed gardener in 2019.  In 2020 I was a 3/4 assed gardener.  In 2019 I crocheted here and there.  In 2020 I made Kylo Ren, BB8, 2 sharks, Fawkes, a parrot, four hats, and a blanket, and I have another blanket in progress.  All of my cats have always eaten butter.  In 2019 I built a pretty crappy bird box with my kids, bought some binoculars, and put up some feeders.  This year I have all the feeder, and built 3 meticulous bird boxes. My hobby of spoiling felines dates back to 2006.  "Trying new things" seems dangerous these days, so I'm just EXTRA on all my old BS.

1 hour ago, Lightning Lord said:

Actually, yes.  I've got a file in Pictures dedicated to them.  :love: 

Earlier in thread thread I posted about Frank the Christmas Gargoyle as such I feel it important to let you know that page has been hacked, the original owners have been locked out and their facebook accounts are now in FB jail.

The hacker might be called David given the posted gmail address has allegedly asked for donations so they can pay for more decorations and is selling t-shirts and things.  Lawyers are now involved.

The real Frank the Gargoyle is going to be available on a non facebook website.   

Sorry this is not really about how awesome it is that Zabs is back.  but it is about how shite fb is.

10 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Earlier in thread thread I posted about Frank the Christmas Gargoyle as such I feel it important to let you know that page has been hacked, the original owners have been locked out and their facebook accounts are now in FB jail.

The hacker might be called David given the posted gmail address has allegedly asked for donations so they can pay for more decorations and is selling t-shirts and things.  Lawyers are now involved.

The real Frank the Gargoyle is going to be available on a non facebook website.   

Sorry this is not really about how awesome it is that Zabs is back.  but it is about how shite fb is.

That's...horrible:wacko:  Of all the mistakes I've made in my life, I'm very happy to say that at least Facebook and Twitter aren't among them.

I still don't get the thing about cats eating butter. Why would Mlle. Zabzie allow them to eat it if it may cause a heart attack?

I was anti-facebook for the longest time when all the high school and uni acquaintances were making their accounts and it was cool. I finally made mine when I went on Erasmus where it turned out to be really useful. I still have it, never posted much, but it is useful for messaging friends and occasionally seeing updates on people and events.

55 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I still don't get the thing about cats eating butter. Why would Mlle. Zabzie allow them to eat it if it may cause a heart attack?

I was anti-facebook for the longest time when all the high school and uni acquaintances were making their accounts and it was cool. I finally made mine when I went on Erasmus where it turned out to be really useful. I still have it, never posted much, but it is useful for messaging friends and occasionally seeing updates on people and events.

I don't precisely allow them to eat butter.  They find unattended butter.  We are very good cat parents and they generally eat Royal Canin and Science diet.  They get the odd Tiki Cat treat.

10 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I don't precisely allow them to eat butter.  They find unattended butter.  We are very good cat parents and they generally eat Royal Canin and Science diet.  They get the odd Tiki Cat treat.

Right, I must have misunderstood something, sorry. I hope butter stays in the fridge today, so cats can't find it. ;)

I asked about the butter. I didn't realize it was dangerous for the kitties - I certainly have no desire to harm them :(

To be clear: I was extremely unlikely to begin carrying pads of butter around just so I could pet cats. I am even further from doing so now that I know it would be very bad for their health.

I'm a dog person. I'm not a cat-death person.

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Anything in large enough quantities is dangerous. It’s like bacon - two or four strips of it with breakfast is fine, four pounds is not.

I feel like this is needlessly condescending considering it should have been glaringly obvious that I wasn't seriously considering carrying around butter and, even had I been, you're the one who added "pounds" to the conversation (my original comment, ludicrous as it was meant to be , made no mention of quantity).

To me, this raises a question. I thought it was obviously non-serious to ask about carrying around butter. Is the US so far different from what I remember that people might reasonably be thought to be toting quantities of butter around at random? I've never been to Atlanta. Do Georgians sometimes have a a few sticks to hand whilst going for a constitutional?

5 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Unattended butter, cream cheese, and oddly enough, granola, in my house.

I have a little carb addict (Aramis) who loves breadcrumbs and such. One day, I had my granola on the countertop in a bowl, and had turned around to make an espresso, when I turned back to find his little cat-face buried in my granola.

Katara likes scones.  I think it is the butter!

Aww. My mistake. I maybe had a few cocktails last night, came home, and naturally tried to start a fight on the board. My error and I apologize.

I had written out a response about eating several kilos of sugar (and drinking SoCo). To be perfectly frank, I don't really use much butter or sugar in the house. I used to when I baked more often, but those days are long behind me because turns out eating that stuff gave me quite an unpleasantly large behind...

Sorry Chats.

This thread is like catnip for me: owls are cool and Facebook was always a cesspit (and I dropped it after a few days 12 years ago), but why so stingy about the bacon?  2-4 slices is just an appetizer, and just one slice sounds like punishment.  If I’m going to get out the air fryer to make a bacon brunch, then I’m going to really push the boat out.  

Archived