Football: A Blizzard of Games

polishgenius

Question for the United fans: has de Gea decided to be a good goalkeeper again this season, or is this game an outlier. For the last two years or so, he seemed determined to get paid big money for Joe Hart level of performances (ok, that's a bit harsh on de Gea), but he's really looked good in this game thus far.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Question for the United fans: has de Gea decided to be a good goalkeeper again this season, or is this game an outlier. For the last two years or so, he seemed determined to get paid big money for Joe Hart level of performances (ok, that's a bit harsh on de Gea), but he's really looked good in this game thus far.

He was nowhere near as bad last season as the chatter made him out to be, but it does seem like Henderson's presence has given him a kick up the jacksie.

Anyway, useful win, four points from those two games is a good return even if it wasn't a great performance. So far as I could tell from my janky-as-shit stream we were starting to control and threaten more so it wasn't out of nowhere even if the goal itself was a fluke. But yeah, I'll take it. Now we have to beat Villa.

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

So far as I could tell from my janky-as-shit stream we were starting to control and threaten more so it wasn't out of nowhere even if the goal itself was a fluke. 

We definitely were. I think Wolves's only shot on target in 2nd half was an offside header. They parked the bus almost as hard as Portugal during Euro 2016, fortunately for us they didn't get the success their compatriots got.

Bailly & Matic were immense in winning the ball back. Glad Rashford got a goal despite one of his poorest performances lately. The only black points really are how badly we struggled to create big chances.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

They're really missing Jimenez, the young chap they have isn't quite up to speed yet.

From what I've seen of him so far he's a good player even now and will quite likely be really good, but even at his best potential he wouldn't be a direct replacement for Jimenez. Since he came in what he's been adept at is dropping off and laying the wider forwards in behind (in some ways he plays like the player I think Liverpool wanted when you got Minamino) but he isn't a no9.  And none of them are consistent finishers and he himself is pretty ropey at it for now as the misses the other day showed. So it is costing them even when Podence and Neto have good games.

They were toothless as shit today though. Like you said earlier both Traore and Neto looked well off.

4 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Both teams have a knack of cancelling each other out and the games turn into a snoozefest. 

Yeah we are very much tactically built to nullify each other. That's why I'm happy with four points out of the last two games- Leicester are a better team than Wolves but Wolves are tougher tactically, a win in either one was a good one.

Also worth noting that if it was tactical and not injury-related Ole bringing Shaw on for Telles was a very good move- on the face of it all our attacks first half came from him but it was all from very deep, low-percentage stuff with no chance for the forwards to really attack it. Shaw coming on opened up the passing and that contributed to their tiredeness.

Archived