Football: A Blizzard of Games

polishgenius

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

I wonder which players Super Frank will throw under the bus after today?

All of them. Chelsea were very, very bad today. Worse than we were up until a few weeks ago and that's a pretty low bar. The players look like they don't really care.

So Super Frankie gone before the end of the season?

If I were a betting man, I'd put a fiver on Tuchel taking over in the summer.

Anyway, Real have appraoched Alaba about joining them in the summer. I thought he'd end up at City.

In other news. That damned European Super Club League seems to get some momentum. Rumoredly JP Morgan wants to bankroll it, we are talking big money $$$. Rumors go as far as one bil. for the winner. Earliest starting date 2024. FIFA, UEFA and the European Clubs will start negotiate on the new calender/schedule soonish, I think.

Yes, it would be awful, yes, it would devalue the domestic leagues. Yes, some clubs have dismissed those rumors. Yes, those dismissals are effectively worthless, and money talks.

I don't think Lampard will be sacked just yet. Lampard, Arteta and Solskjaer all seem to go through cycles of their teams playing well followed by a period where the team just looks clueless. I think Lampard might only be sacked before the end of the season if Chelsea look in danger of being cut adrift from the top 4 race and they aren't at that point yet.

4 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I don't think Lampard will be sacked just yet. Lampard, Arteta and Solskjaer all seem to go through cycles of their teams playing well followed by a period where the team just looks clueless. I think Lampard might only be sacked before the end of the season if Chelsea look in danger of being cut adrift from the top 4 race and they aren't at that point yet.

I'm pretty sure they've still only beaten one team in the top 10 though, it's pretty miserable. I'm not sure but it might be only one team in the top 13 at the time they played them.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:57 PM, polishgenius said:

Tbf I don't think you're necessarily right here. Jurgen dreams of murderball and while he's pragmatic enough to step off and do something else to get the wins, I think every signing you make when he's got some luxury of choice rather than filling a specific gap is about facilitating a midfield that can push higher and create more without losing too much protection - hence Thiago. That's what Keita was for too, it hasn't worked out but still might- but I can see you going for another driving midfielder to replace him in summer.

I don't think we necessarily disagree. How I see it, players like Thiago plays into the protection first because they will create from midfield through incisive passes and chips as opposed to driving from box to box, like Keita, Ox, Hendo, Lallana, Curtis etc. This will typically mean they are outside the box after their pass, ready to fight/press for second ball and protecting counters. While Ox, Keita, Jones and even Hendo (as 8) tends to get dragged into the box as they try to go through players or head to the touchline rather than pass through them, thus leaving less bodies for the second/third ball scrap and leaving some gaps for the counter. Shaq would be the only one in the team (other than Thiago) whohas a good chip pass on him. All our other creators are crossers like Robbo, Hendo, Ox, Trent (or long diagonals from Fab, Matip and Virg).

We looked our most solid defensively when we had the boring trio of Hendo, Gini and Milner midfield doing the protective duties. But we also looked pretty toothless when attacking the low block. This season I already see us putting more bodies in the box with the 8s attacking the box a lot more. Probably one of the reason we are allowing lots of good counters this season. But I am kinda ok with that, as I think we look better offensively this season (except for the finishing boots....).

Struggling to get anywhere in the game. Thiago is getting on the ball, but Wijnaldum has been hiding and the Ox has been a bit too aggressive with his runs so far, so there's no one close to him. Both Firmino and Salah have been crap, and Mane has been lively on the ball but couldn't even finish his dinner at the moment.

Archived