US Politics- Banana Republic President’s Day Sale

Fury Resurrected

If you recall the George W Bush administration and the orange jumpsuits never filled despite fooling the country into a baseless war and violent overthrow of another country’s government, you may understand the skepticism. We wouldn’t even pick up Rumsfeld to let The Hague sort him out on war crimes charges.

27 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

No chance. 

23 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I’d celebrate this but I really really doubt it.

I mean, yeah, I see where you're both coming from.

But what the Democrats need to ask themselves is, what will be more damaging to the future stability of the US? The political blowback from unpatriotic morons for prosecuting the myriad crimes of a former mob boss president, or the lesson that you can commit as much blatant criminality and treason as you like whilst in high office, because you're never going to be held to account?

Because you can bet your bottom dollar that someone is going to come along, pretty soon, who shares the same disgusting worldview as Trump, whilst not being an incompetent dunderhead.

At the very least, for the sake of America, some of his enablers need to be held to account.

Timing couldn't be better. This morning I did an online lesson about the Kapp-Lüttwitz Putsch in which rightwing paramilitaries fearing disbandment occupied the Berlin governmental district for four days hoping to reinstate monarchy. I find notable that these morons were also touched with kid gloves while the communist Ruhr uprising after that was put down with extreme prejudice.

I don't have much to say except point out that I was also laughed at in this very forum four years ago when I noted that the USA right now feels very much like the Weimar Republic, just dumber.

36 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

No chance. 

For a regular president, I'd agree, but the thing about Trump is that, unlike Dubya or most ex-presidents, he won't go out of the spotlight and quit politics. He'll probably run again in 2024 and stay years agitating against both Democrats and Republicans that don't suck up to him enough. He already cost the Republicans control of the Senate.

3 minutes ago, Toth said:

Timing couldn't be better. This morning I did an online lesson about the Kapp-Lüttwitz Putsch in which rightwing paramilitaries fearing disbandment occupied the Berlin governmental district for four days hoping to reinstate monarchy. I find notable that these morons were also touched with kid gloves while the communist Ruhr uprising after that was put down with extreme prejudice.

I remember listening to a talk by Michael Parenti where he talks about a similar dynamic in pre-facist Italy. The right wing goons were treated with kid gloves by the cops and the courts where the left wingers were prosecuted at a much higher rate.

5 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

For a regular president, I'd agree, but the thing about Trump is that, unlike Dubya or most ex-presidents, he won't go out of the spotlight and quit politics. He'll probably run again in 2024 and stay years agitating against both Democrats and Republicans that don't suck up to him enough. He already cost the Republicans control of the Senate.

I have to believe there are still a few "law and order" republicans who are pretty disgusted with his behavior since the election.  Then again, if the stuck with him this long, maybe not.

Wow, just wow

If this is happening in the USA then I just cannot imagine how and when present Polish regime would hand over power. It may be Romania 1989 scenario, I am afraid.

Just seen some pictures from WH on Insta. These guys look like from a horror, I mean the ones who would murder you when wou're on a picnic in Appalachian Mountains.

15 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I remember listening to a talk by Michael Parenti where he talks about a similar dynamic in pre-facist Italy. The right wing goons were treated with kid gloves by the cops and the courts where the left wingers were prosecuted at a much higher rate.

That's a pretty common dynamic when your executive branch is filled with people implicitly agreeing with said right-wing goons. When preparing my lessons I noted much to my irritation the history book quoting military officials refusing to smoke out the nationalists and monarchists in Berlin because they wouldn't shoot at former comrades (since most paramilitaries were disgruntled WW1 veterans). What the book left out was reasoning why they DID shoot at the communists, which I would find interesting to hear because last time I looked up the "Rote Ruhrarmee" was just as much made up of WW1 veterans, the difference being only that those were communists (that were also trying to overthrow democracy and butter up to the Soviet Union, mind you, my reasoning is that they should have been both treated exactly the same).

It's just like reading the disgusting transcript of when Hitler was sentenced to 5 years for his insurrection in Munich. Four policemen and a civilian died and the judge went on and on and on about how it's not that bad because they were thinking they were patriots saving their country. I hope that judge burns in hell.

7 minutes ago, Toth said:

That's a pretty common dynamic when your executive branch is filled with people implicitly agreeing with said right-wing goons. When preparing my lessons I noted much to my irritation the history book quoting military officials refusing to smoke out the nationalists and monarchists in Berlin because they wouldn't shoot at former comrades (since most paramilitaries were disgruntled WW1 veterans). What the book left out was reasoning why they DID shoot at the communists, which would find interesting to hear because last time I looked up the "Rote Ruhrarmee" was just as much made up of WW1 veterans, the difference being only that those were communists (that were also trying to overthrow democracy and butter up to the Soviet Union, mind you, my reasoning is that they should have been both treated exactly the same).

It's just like reading the disgusting transcript of when Hitler was sentenced to 5 years for his insurrection in Munich. Four policemen and a civilian died and the judge went on and on and on about how it's not that bad because they were thinking they were patriots saving their country. I hope that judge burns in hell.

Well, as they saw it, replacing bourgeois democracy with worker democracy - Stalinist Marxism-Leninism had not yet been formulated, so these were literal Workers Councils. The Soviet Union itself would not actually exist for another two years.

Archived