Golf: The Majors and Minors 2021

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Old thread seems to be archived. 

Anyways, Tiger was involved in a serious single car crash this morning. He rolled his vehicle, was ejected from the car and it's reported he has some serious leg injuries. He is currently in surgery.

Sad if this is what ends what was left of his career.

ETA: Renaming the thread, but still, the news about Tiger, whatever you think about him, is sad.

Edited by Tywin et al.

21 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Surgery for multiple leg injuries sounds bad and the pictures of his car don't look particularly good either. I think the era was already over really but I hope he's ok anyway.

I just always assumed he could hang on and win a major or two more, but at this point it certainly sounds like it would take a minor miracle to return on top of his existing back injuries.

Ejected from the car? I read they had to cut him out. Either way his injuries sound bad and it was going to be hard enough for him to come back from the latest back surgery. He looked drugged out when he was being interviewed at the genesis on Sunday. Until he says he's done I won't completely write him off because there is nobody on tour that can match his mentality but it really doesn't look good for Tiger, at this point a healthy life going forward is probably more important than playing golf.

34 minutes ago, lmanion said:

Ejected from the car? I read they had to cut him out. 

The initial report I heard was that he got ejected, but the updates confirmed they need the jaws of life to get him out. I just checked CNN to see what was going on during the Congressional hearings and the headline on Woods is "suffered non-life threatening injuries, suffered multiple compound factures in his legs." Multiple compound fractures? Good lord that's going to take a lot just to get him walking again.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The initial report I heard was that he got ejected, but the updates confirmed they need the jaws of life to get him out. I just checked CNN to see what was going on during the Congressional hearings and the headline on Woods is "suffered non-life threatening injuries, suffered multiple compound factures in his legs." Multiple compound fractures? Good lord that's going to take a lot just to get him walking again.

He's really going to have to putt around the house now.

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

He's really going to have to putt around the house now.

Jokes aside, as a PA-C, how long do you think that will take to recover from he legit had compound breaks in both legs?

(One thing I've always been terrified of is getting one)

Months. Half a year until he's moving confidently on his own if it's true that he had multiple breaks in both legs. Hard to say without knowing more, but different feacture points will create different areas of deficiency on the limb. And he's not a young man anymore. Frankly if he's able to go on moderate walks by Fall he should thank the stars.

He might never fully recover. Different injury by different modes, but Stephen King has a limp like 20 years after his injuries.

He already had his great comeback by getting that last green jacket long after many had considered him finished.

His third act needs to be just making sure he can get to where he can enjoy a pain free retirement. I'm sure he's in terrible pain now, hopefully he doesn't get hooked on painkillers.

As it stands, if he can never play again on the PGA tour, he is tied for the most wins with Sam Snead at 82 wins.

MOST PGA TOUR WINS
  • T-1. Sam Snead, 82 wins (7 Major wins) ...
  • T-1. Tiger Woods, 82 wins (15 Major wins) ...
  • Jack Nicklaus, 73 wins (18 Major wins) ...
  • Ben Hogan, 64 wins (9 Major wins) ...
  • Arnold Palmer, 62 wins (7 Major wins) ...
  • Byron Nelson, 52 wins (5 Major wins) ...
  • Billy Casper, 51 wins (3 Major wins) ...
  • Walter Hagen, 45 wins (11 Major wins)

One amazing career whatever happens next.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Pretty crazy he was tied with Snead on the all-time wins list.  Man, 13 years ago it seemed like a lock he was gonna overtake Jack.

So did I, but it doesn't matter. He's still the best ever and most important player to the game. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

His attention to detail is at the very least inconsistent across his interests.

He’s definitely an interesting character study.  He was a child phenom that actually lived up to his potential and became the biggest star in the world of athletics only to throw it all away for a fling with a waitress at Perkins... that one chink in the illusion of his perfection spread rapidly and lead to a downfall he never quite recovered from.

Edited by Rhom

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

He’s definitely an interesting character study.  He was a child phenom that actually lived up to his potential and became the biggest star in the world of athletics only to throw it all away for a fling with a waitress at Perkins... that one chink in the illusion of his perfection spread rapidly and lead to a downfall he never quite recovered from.

Sex addiction is a form of pain relief, and it's clear that injuries are what undid him more than anything else.

14 minutes ago, Rhom said:

throw it all away for a fling with a waitress at Perkins...

Let's not act like it was an isolated incident because he really liked the specials that day.  The man has a problem with addiction that's clearly self-destructive.  I can very much empathize, but no point in denying that.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

It boggles my mind how long someone that famous was able to get away with that many affairs. His attention to detail clearly did him favours in that arena as well. 

Most of that was presumably pre cell phone camera/social media.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Most of that was presumably pre cell phone camera/social media.

Not really. The scandal exploded in late 2009. I graduated HS in 2006, and I think my junior year is when everyone had or wanted that blue flip phone with the swivel camera made popular on MTV (I know privilege, and yes, I had one like a douche). Midway through college almost everyone had a camera phone. I'd lean towards hush money. Jeter is a notorious man whore yet little ever got out. Those infamous gift baskets must be impressive indeed.