Relic

NBA 2021 - Joel Indeed?

17 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I don't think the play ins are to eliminate tanking. Teams going for the bottom aren't in position anyway.

Also, your proposal just shifts the goal to barely miss the playoffs? Sure, its harder to thread the needle, and you need some semblance of competence, but you're going to see teams not in direct contention keep players out for longer and more often. 

It’s certainly possible that middling teams would intentionally miss the playoffs, but a single elimination tournament does make it more difficult to execute that strategy effectively and if you miss out on the top four you’re picking in the mid-teens. Perhaps you’d need to include a financial incentive for the players to make the playoffs.

I think the bigger issue with my proposal is what to do with teams who’ve traded their pick. I’ve got no answer for that one.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s certainly possible that middling teams would intentionally miss the playoffs, but a single elimination tournament does make it more difficult to execute that strategy effectively and if you miss out on the top four you’re picking in the mid-teens. Perhaps you’d need to include a financial incentive for the players to make the playoffs.

I think the bigger issue with my proposal is what to do with teams who’ve traded their pick. I’ve got no answer for that one.

Scenario one: Make the playoffs: 16-20

Scenario two: Miss the playoffs and lose the draft tourny: 12-16

Scenario three: Miss the playoffs and win the draft tourny: 1-4

Sounds a pretty good deal to me. Which is still besides the fact that the play in doesn't look like its supposed to prevent tanking by the way.

24 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Scenario one: Make the playoffs: 16-20

Scenario two: Miss the playoffs and lose the draft tourny: 12-16

Scenario three: Miss the playoffs and win the draft tourny: 1-4

Sounds a pretty good deal to me. Which is still besides the fact that the play in doesn't look like its supposed to prevent tanking by the way.

I’ve been under the impression it was a combination of preventing tanking and accounting for injuries in a condensed season. If I have that wrong, my bad.

That said, your breakdown is accurate, but I think it would only be a problem if teams were flagrantly abusing it. It would be a big problem if legitimately good teams missed the playoffs on purpose, but I can’t see that happening too much. I guess it comes down to if you see a big difference in talent between the 16th best team and the 26th best team in a single game sample. I doubt you’d have the same amount of upsets as you do in March Madness, but it’s far from a guarantee that a fringe playoff team is going to easily make it to the final four of this tourney.

Your breakdown is from the teams perspective though, right? I don’t think the players would feel that way if you gave them a significant bonus. The stars wouldn’t care, but the middling guys would and they’re the dudes who are probably the least interesting in having their teams be in the draft tourney considering the better they do, the more likely they could be replaced by a high draft pick.

Its been very interesting following the Pistons (currently at 3rd worse record) all season.

I can honestly assess they have not purposely tanked or held back on trying to win all season. They legit just a collection of rookies and castoffs that have been fighting for positions in the NBA.

The effort level from these type of players is often the diving for loose balls and fight like hell through the screen type play that is doing it's best to compete against every team they come up against.

The majority of their wins have came against the elite teams that took the night off or coasted, while our young guys never let up. They are not throwing games at all.

They are more entertaining than any team Van Gundy ever fielded here. 

With a bit of imagination you can see a young Rodman or Wallace out there or dream of the next Isiah in that draft from a 3rd pick that they earned on (de)merit while competing every night.

I have faith in the direction of Weaver/Casey and know we will be coming up.

No these guys aren't purposedely playing bad.