Malazan Re-read Order

Relic

On 9/22/2021 at 3:40 PM, Jussi said:

Plot synopses for Ian C. Esslemont's next three novels in the Path to Ascendancy series:

Reveal hidden contents

Book 4:

This volume develops and details the Malazan expansion into the Falari Peninsula region. Kellanved and Dancer, impatient with the slow and methodical consolidation of the continent of Quon Tali, are up to no good and embroil the Malazan forces in an uprising against the ruling Theocracy of Falar.

These priests have maintained power over all the many islands through the threat of their terror-weapon: the dread 'Jhistal'...

Here readers will discover just what this weapon is, meet a younger Mallick Rel and find out just how the Malazans took the region into their grip.

Book 5:

Here we will be documenting and following the emerging Malazan Empire's first landings and foothold in the region of the Seven Cities. Central to this account will be the monumental and notorious attack on the Holy City of Aren.

The emergence of Dassem Ultor, his rising influence and popularity among the military of the empire - together with Surly's growing wariness of it - is all suggestive of his death before the walls of Y'ghatan.

Another path of this story will follow Kellanved and Dancer's exploration of Shadow and beyond, and further steps towards the former's ascension as Shadowthrone.

Book 6:

Kellanved and Dancer and company have become ever more powerful and elevated, and are now distant players as we dig down to follow Bridgeburners themselves: Whiskeyjack, Fiddler, Hedge, Trotts, Mallet and others. Yes, the gang's all here and readers will relish being in their company once more!

Battles and encounters in Mott Woods and Black Dog Forest abound and all of this leads readers up to to the point at which this extraordinary multi-faceted, multi-layered epic fantasy saga first began: Gardens of the Moon.

I found these blurbs from Edelweiss catalogue.

Is there a link for that?

They are from the Edelweiss catalogue:

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#dashboard

You have to change "US Trade" to "UK Trade" on the upper left corner (below Edelweiss logo). Then write Ian Esslemont in the search.

I took screenshots and posted them on the Malazan Empire forum:

https://forum.malazanempire.com/topic/33195-new-ice-prequel-trilogy/page__st__40__p__1442823#entry1442823

Edited by Jussi

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/2/2022 at 12:47 AM, Jussi said:

Yup, and a fair bit of controversy as it's apparently the first somewhat high-profile(ish), properly published novel to have an AI-generated cover.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A year from now? They're going to wait nearly a YEAR? Do they not understand the importance of striking while the iron is hot? 

Do they not want these books to sell? There's staggering a release for something and then there's whatever lunacy *this* is!

Just got my copy.

Hilarious detail on the maps. As well as the proper map of Quon Tali and Falar (reprinted from House of Chains, so missing all the newer detail from the Bonehunters map, unfortunately), they have a comical "view of the world from Falar" map, which has the Falair Peninsula and the Falari Isles as being absolutely massive and Quon Tali as this absolutely tiny spit of land sticking out of the bottom with Unta and Quon right next to one another (when they're really about as far apart as Perth and Sydney). The idea is that Falar is cut off from Quon Talia by massive icefields so nobody really travels between the two landmasses despite them being right next to each other.

Although Falar also has a massive navy, so it's unclear why there simply hasn't been a lot of seaborne contact between them. And both Quon Tali and Falar seem fairly ignorant of Seven Cities, despite it being immediately adjacent to them.

29 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Just got my copy.

Hilarious detail on the maps. As well as the proper map of Quon Tali and Falar (reprinted from House of Chains, so missing all the newer detail from the Bonehunters map, unfortunately), they have a comical "view of the world from Falar" map, which has the Falair Peninsula and the Falari Isles as being absolutely massive and Quon Tali as this absolutely tiny spit of land sticking out of the bottom with Unta and Quon right next to one another (when they're really about as far apart as Perth and Sydney). The idea is that Falar is cut off from Quon Talia by massive icefields so nobody really travels between the two landmasses despite them being right next to each other.

Although Falar also has a massive navy, so it's unclear why there simply hasn't been a lot of seaborne contact between them. And both Quon Tali and Falar seem fairly ignorant of Seven Cities, despite it being immediately adjacent to them.

So...editor fail?

15 hours ago, IlyaP said:

So...editor fail?

No, it's a deliberate joke to show that the Falari have a massively overinflated view of their importance.

They did something similar in Stonewielder with a map from the Korelri POV showing Malaz Isle as it was 500 years ago, because they'd been cut off by the Stormriders for the intervening period.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Am I crazy or does that cover look like it's got AI bits to it? Particularly the needle-like spires on the right side of the cover. 

Might be. I read it as a poorly rendered haze.  The cover doesn’t do much for me but it’s still better than a lot of the over rendered covers that Baen, for instance, put(s?) out. 

10 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Am I crazy or does that cover look like it's got AI bits to it? Particularly the needle-like spires on the right side of the cover. 

There is some discussion about this earlier in the thread for the UK cover (which has the same figure against a different background).

2 hours ago, Relic said:

Any word on Erikson's next Witness book? Really enjoyed the first one. 

He's still writing it. He got off to a late start because he wanted to finish the final Kharkanas book but couldn't get it done before his personal deadline, so he switched to the second Witness book. I doubt we'll see that much before late 2024.