Round of 16: Italy vs Austria

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

It's not calculated. It's two halves of 15 minutes each.

Maybe you mean added/injury time? That does seem more arbitrary.

Yeah, sorry. I saw a match a few years back where they added like +7 at the end of regulation, for no reason I could figure out, and then in extras they added +1 after they spent like five minutes getting an injured player off of the field. It was a meaningless game, but it left me just asking why. 

It's like when watching a match where the heavy favorite is down a goal, the second half was clean and then they add five minutes anyways. 

(If you can't tell, regardless of the sport, I question the refs a lot because they're cheaters if they're helping the team I don't want to win :P)

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, sorry. I saw a match a few years back where they added like +7 at the end of regulation, for no reason I could figure out, and then in extras they added +1 after they spent like five minutes getting an injured player off of the field. It was a meaningless game, but it left me just asking why. 

It's like when watching a match where the heavy favorite is down a goal, the second half was clean and then they add five minutes anyways. 

(If you can't tell, regardless of the sport, I question the refs a lot because they're cheaters if they're helping the team I don't want to win :P)

I don't think anyone can tell you how added time is calculated. It often seems arbitrary whether you get 3 or 4 or 5 minutes or whatever.

4 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I don't think anyone can tell you how added time is calculated. It often seems arbitrary whether you get 3 or 4 or 5 minutes or whatever.

In the NFL you can call holding on both the defense and offense on every play. How it's applied? Nobody knows....

Interesting game.  No team ever will ever manage 7 great performances in a row.  Hard fought victories are important too, especially when you aren't at your best.  The question now is whether Italy can grow from here or start to splutter more seriously.  They wouldn't be the first team to do very well in the group stages but fail come the knock outs.

Veratti's performance was a little concerning.  But their bench looks strong at least.  Hopefully Chiellini can return too.

This was an awkward game, as they were such strong favourites.  I'm very curious to see how they will perform against one of the big teams now.  It is a different challenge.

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Shame for Austria because they were absolutely the better side in regulation. 

Hum, no. It was a game of two halves.

Italy was firmly in the driver's seat in the first half. There it felt like a matter of time before Italy would find a hole and score. Italy were really excellent in the first half.

Second half Austria decided instead of defending passively and just wait for the inevitable Italy goal, they'd have a better chance if they came out to play and moved the action further up the pitch and so they brought the game to Italy. The Italians kinda lost the thread in the second half. There Austria looked much more dangerous than Italy. Whatever Mancini told his players at half-time it didn't exactly work. In extra time Italy managed to get better access to the game. Tough luck for Austria with the narrow offside on the Arnautovic goal, but they were not really better the entire game. Could've gone either way, Italy managed to win it in the end.

45 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Hum, no. It was a game of two halves.

Italy was firmly in the driver's seat in the first half. There it felt like a matter of time before Italy would find a hole and score. Italy were really excellent in the first half.

Second half Austria decided instead of defending passively and just wait for the inevitable Italy goal, they'd have a better chance if they came out to play and moved the action further up the pitch and so they brought the game to Italy. The Italians kinda lost the thread in the second half. There Austria looked much more dangerous than Italy. Whatever Mancini told his players at half-time it didn't exactly work. In extra time Italy managed to get better access to the game. Tough luck for Austria with the narrow offside on the Arnautovic goal, but they were not really better the entire game. Could've gone either way, Italy managed to win it in the end.

Well for starters, it was literally not a game of two halves. And really Italy only controlled the first 10-20 minutes of the first half. After that Austria largely dominated the game until Italy's subs took over in the final 30 minutes of extra time.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well for starters, it was literally not a game of two halves. And really Italy only controlled the first 10-20 minutes of the first half. After that Austria largely dominated the game until Italy's subs took over in the final 30 minutes of extra time.

Sorry, Tywin but no. Italy did dominate much of the first half. 10-20 minutes was when the game was practically all in the Austrian half of the pitch, but the rest of it was mostly Italy, too.

17 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Sorry, Tywin but no. Italy did dominate much of the first half. 10-20 minutes was when the game was practically all in the Austrian half of the pitch, but the rest of it was mostly Italy, too.

Eh, by the end of the first half the momentum (I hate the term in sports but it applies here) was largely in Austria's favor and they were absolutely the better side in the second half.

My dog died yesterday. I have diplomatic immunity on my takes for 48 hours. :P

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, by the end of the first half the momentum (I hate the term in sports but it applies here) was largely in Austria's favor and they were absolutely the better side in the second half.

My dog died yesterday. I have diplomatic immunity on my takes for 48 hours. :P

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Archived