US politics: Everything in moderation, including moderation

IheartIheartTesla

During his statement, Cuomo screened a cringey video where he kisses/ touches all kinds of people. Not the intimate parts, ofc. Stressed how he included all ethnicities, GLBQT,... Cause it's cultural.

7 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

During his statement, Cuomo screened a cringey video where he kisses/ touches all kinds of people.

Surprised he didn't screen a video of Biden creepily touching all kinds of people.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Well, there's no scenario where the Republicans go from 50 to 67 seats in the Senate in 2022 such that such a plan could work.  I would actually be more worried about some crazy person/group trying to assassinate Trump back into office.  Although it would require a pretty colossal conspiracy to successfully pull that off. 

Would it though? Imagine if security was a step slower on 1/6 and both chambers were breached with the EOs still inside. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume many Senators and Reps would have been murdered, and that they would be disproportionally Democrats. What would happen in the meantime before they could be replaced? I shudder to think of it. 

50 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Trump would not want to be Speaker if it requires any real work. But if the Republicans would elect him Speaker, couldn't they reassign almost all of the present duties of the Speaker to the Majority Leader and make the position more of a figurehead one? 

Sure, I don't see why not. That's how his presidency was largely run.

41 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

During his statement, Cuomo screened a cringey video where he kisses/ touches all kinds of people. Not the intimate parts, ofc. Stressed how he included all ethnicities, GLBQT,... Cause it's cultural.

Is he trying to say Italian men can’t sexually harrass people… because it’s cultural?

Entire NY Democratic congressional delegation now calling for Cuomo's resignation.  If the state Assembly - where Dems hold over 2/3s of the seats - doesn't quickly move to impeach him now, you really gotta wonder what the fuck they're doing.

ETA:  Recalling the Eliot Spitzer scandal, and how he was immediately forced to resign, he's really gotta be wondering how the fuck this guy is still in office.

40 minutes ago, DMC said:

Entire NY Democratic congressional delegation now calling for Cuomo's resignation.  If the state Assembly - where Dems hold over 2/3s of the seats - doesn't quickly move to impeach him now, you really gotta wonder what the fuck they're doing.

ETA:  Recalling the Eliot Spitzer scandal, and how he was immediately forced to resign, he's really gotta be wondering how the fuck this guy is still in office.

Will Cuomo fight impeachment if it’s attempted?  Would he attempt to burn the whole thing down on his way out if they do attempt to impeach and remove him from office?

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Will Cuomo fight impeachment if it’s attempted?  Would he attempt to burn the whole thing down on his way out if they do attempt to impeach and remove him from office?

You'd have to assume if he was told by state legislative leaders that they have the votes to impeach and convict, he'd resign.  But who knows, maybe he is just that obstinate.

Also, interesting fact - under New York law if the Assembly votes to impeach, then the lieutenant governor immediately becomes acting governor as the senate conducts their trial.  Here's on article explaining the New York impeachment process.

15 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Meh, for a special election primary that doesn't look too bad at all.  Marcia Fudge (the previous holder of the seat) was elected in a special election as well in 2008.  And while it wasn't competitive, only 14 thousand people voted in that primary.  57 thousand votes is also a lot more than the Texas special election last week (a little under 40 thousand.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I saw that.  I’m very curious to see how this plays out.

He’s finished. I’ll put the over/under at 24 hours until he resigns. Only reason it’s not immediately is because he’s a stubborn mofo and he still probably has a bit of good will left from his handling of the first wave of the pandemic.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is he trying to say Italian men can’t sexually harrass people… because it’s cultural?

No, you are being ignorant. Stop being ingorant.  [South Park Michael Jack... eh Jefferson, voice]

With an attitude like that Matt Gaetz would never want to marry into your family (that was my last joke on that theme).

No, but close enough, Cuomo's last line of defense seems to be. Look, I am Italian, we Italian are very physical people. We touch and kiss each other all the time, without any sexual intent. It's a cultural thing. You don't accuse me, Gov. Cuomo of seuxal harrassment, you are accusing Italians in general. Which goes back to my opening setence. No, you are being ignorant.

The Big Money Behind the Big Lie

Donald Trump’s attacks on democracy are being promoted by rich and powerful conservative groups that are determined to win at all costs.

Richard Hasen, a law professor at the University of California, Irvine, and one of the country’s foremost election-law experts, told me, “I’m scared shitless.” Referring to the array of new laws passed by Republican state legislatures since the 2020 election, he said, “It’s not just about voter suppression. What I’m really worried about is election subversion. Election officials are being put in place who will mess with the count.”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/08/09/the-big-money-behind-the-big-lie

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I saw that.  I’m very curious to see how this plays out.

You have to assume he's toast.  All remaining political support has abandoned him.  The Assembly Speaker said he's unfit for office and they'll have "more to say in the very near future."  99 times out of 100, this is when the officeholder resigns.  I agree with Ty that I'd expect an announcement in the next day or two.

Archived