US politics: Everything in moderation, including moderation

IheartIheartTesla

So Republicans thought it'd be fun to rip on Cori Bush for advocating for defunding the police while having to spend $70k on private security because racists want to kill her:

“If I have actual police officers who have threatened my life, tell me about that, tell me I don’t need security,” said Bush, whose congressional district covers St. Louis.

“My security is not against communal violence,” she added. “My security is not to keep me safe from the people of St. Louis. It’s to keep me safe from those racist attempts made against my life.”

1 hour ago, DMC said:

So Republicans thought it'd be fun to rip on Cori Bush for advocating for defunding the police while having to spend $70k on private security because racists want to kill her:

I mean, it really is terrible messaging on her part. Most people who face some sort of persistent danger, be it a stalker, a violent ex-, nearby gang violence, whatever, can't afford private security. The police are, or are supposed to be at least, their protection. So what it once again boils down to is that "defund the police" is a terrible message; especially if the goal is something other than literally "defund". And talking about the two topics back-to-back easily invites comparisons. Bush just seems out of touch to most people's experiences, at least in the video of her this morning. It makes total sense that Republicans would want to highlight that. It's what I'd do in their place too. Especially with Schumer talking up Bush this morning as well and her getting more attention recently.

The nuances here are not something that most people will pay attention to.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

I mean, it really is terrible messaging on her part.

....it's not "messaging."  It's not like she's was all, "we should defund the police, oh and by the way I've had to spend 70 thousand dollars on private security."  It's that the GOP and rightwing media seized on the information (certainly because, yes, she's currently in the national spotlight), asked her about defund the police, and she maintained her position.  Two dozen MCs felt the need to spend money on private security since 1/6, it's not just her.

As far as defunding the police being a dumb slogan, yes I obviously still think so as I've said many times, but she gets a pass IMHO.  It's her signature issue that is basically solely responsible for her political career in the first place.  And it's not like she's not representing her district/constituents - if all districts had a Cook PVI of D+29, the slogan wouldn't be much of an issue.  If she continues to be identified as more of a leader within the party or even the left - like, say, AOC - I might agree she should tone it down.  But I don't really think her exposure nor this story is going to mean anything to anybody in a few days.

The US Police -- well known for their anti-racist activities, leaders in unconscious bias training, as well as strong, trusted ties to communities of color ...

Cori Bush likely needs protection FROM the police as part of this additional security detail.

It's also worth recognizing the murder of Michael Brown and attacks on the Black community in St Louis -- her constituency -- have been well-documented and have been going on for a long, long time. https://whyy.org/articles/ouzzling-number-of-men-tied-to-ferguson-protests-have-died/

5 hours ago, Fez said:

I mean, it really is terrible messaging on her part. Most people who face some sort of persistent danger, be it a stalker, a violent ex-, nearby gang violence, whatever, can't afford private security. The police are, or are supposed to be at least, their protection. So what it once again boils down to is that "defund the police" is a terrible message; especially if the goal is something other than literally "defund". And talking about the two topics back-to-back easily invites comparisons. Bush just seems out of touch to most people's experiences, at least in the video of her this morning. It makes total sense that Republicans would want to highlight that. It's what I'd do in their place too. Especially with Schumer talking up Bush this morning as well and her getting more attention recently.

The nuances here are not something that most people will pay attention to.

As a woman of color who has been a victim of some of what you describe- this is hilarious.  Even when I had a protection order, the local police refused to enforce it. What kept me safe were people I knew personally, and NOT the police at all. If you ask a woman of color if they felt safer having the ability to call the police or have someone she chooses to ensure her safety- I don’t think you’ll find many who choose the cops. And living in Minneapolis, the only thing I have been afraid of besides Covid in the last year and a half is the police. I don’t begrudge Cori Bush one bit for hiring people to keep her from being assassinated. In fact, if she wasn’t right about the need to change policing- there would be no need for anyone to hire security.

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’d question whether this is actually true or it’s that due to the fact that because less younger people are vaccinated, a higher percentage of those getting ill would consequently be younger. 

It was absolutely true in India. Reports from hospitals here indicate this as well. Again, there is lots of data about delta being worse. 

9 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Cuomo really is the Democratic Donald, isn't he? He'll have to be dragged out of his office, screaming "Witch hunt!"

He seems, to me, to be the kind who wants to pull it down behind him if their going to take him out of the building.  He’s either deluded into believing he really did nothing wrong or he really thinks his power means he’s entitled to do what he did.  

Cuomo is frightening for the National Democratic Party.  They need him off the scene ASAP.

10 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

As a woman of color who has been a victim of some of what you describe- this is hilarious.  Even when I had a protection order, the local police refused to enforce it. What kept me safe were people I knew personally, and NOT the police at all. If you ask a woman of color if they felt safer having the ability to call the police or have someone she chooses to ensure her safety- I don’t think you’ll find many who choose the cops. And living in Minneapolis, the only thing I have been afraid of besides Covid in the last year and a half is the police. I don’t begrudge Cori Bush one bit for hiring people to keep her from being assassinated. In fact, if she wasn’t right about the need to change policing- there would be no need for anyone to hire security.

Hence the all-important "supposed to be" clause. As in, this is the intended role of the police. And if the police are failing at that, which they often are, then the goal needs to be to fix the police. If someone like Bush wants to pay for private security in the meantime, that's entirely her right. However, very few people are in the same position to be able to afford that as well. And not having a functioning law enforcement is not a viable long-term policy choice. So talking about the two subjects, back-to-back, just makes her look out-of-touch.

Defunding the police is also extremely unpopular, there's been poll after poll about this. Here's one example: https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2021-07/Topline-USAT-Crime-and-Safety-070821.pdf

77% of Americans want more police on street patrols, including 58% of Democrats

70% of Americans want to increase police budgets, including 55% of Democrats

22% of Americans support the "defund" movement, including 37% of Democrats (only 10% strongly support)

Only 33% of Democrats agree with the statement "Moving forward, Democrats should focus more on reforming police departments"

68% of Americans, including 53% of Democrats, agree with the statement "Police officers are generally good and well-meaning."  And they say that even though only 22% of Americans, and 7% of Democrats, agree with the statement "Police treat all Americans equally."

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He seems, to me, to be the kind who wants to pull it down behind him if their going to take him out of the building.  He’s either deluded into believing he really did nothing wrong or he really thinks his power means he’s entitled to do what he did.  

Cuomo is frightening for the National Democratic Party.  They need him off the scene ASAP.

Nah. The way state actors are behaving suggests they're not too worried he has that much dirt on anyone. He might make things messy for a bit, but he's going to be impeached if he doesn't resign and that will be a wrap. All he's doing is shoveling more dirt onto his eventual grave.

I hope his kids don't want to go into politics because the Cuomo brand gets tarnished by the day.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah. The way state actors are behaving suggests they're not too worried he has that much dirt on anyone. He might make things messy for a bit, but he's going to be impeached if he doesn't resign and that will be a wrap. All he's doing is shoveling more dirt onto his eventual grave.

I hope his kids don't want to go into politics because the Cuomo brand gets tarnished by the day.

I really hope you’re right.  What concerns me is that Cuomo isn’t acting like someone with no options.

28 minutes ago, Fez said:

So talking about the two subjects, back-to-back, just makes her look out-of-touch.

You keep acting like this was some "strategic move" on her part.  Again, she was asked a question and she answered it.  Now, of course, she could have obfuscated like a typical politician, but I give her credit for answering the question honestly, fully, and sticking by her convictions - even if I disagree with the "messaging" of defund the police.  Here's the full video synced up to the reporter asking the question:

Other than refusing to answer the question (in one way or another), what's her alternative?  Flip-flop on defunding the police?  So, because she has to spend nearly six figures on private security due to death threats from racists - some of which include police - she has to change her position on policing?  This whole "hypocrisy" thing boils down to being like "lol, she holds a position I disagree with and we can use the fact racists are trying to kill her to exploit that."  Seems pretty gross to me.

44 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What concerns me is that Cuomo isn’t acting like someone with no options.

I know I've said this to you before, but you worry too much.  Cuomo is not a threat to the national party, and Cuomo is acting like a delusional person with no options.  Which makes the Trump comparison rather apt.

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well, his kids are also Kennedys.

26 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I really hope you’re right.  What concerns me is that Cuomo isn’t acting like someone with no options.

To me, he looks like someone who feels so entitled that losing simply doesn't occur to him.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I know I've said this to you before, but you worry too much.  Cuomo is not a threat to the national party, and Cuomo is acting like a delusional person with no options.  Which makes the Trump comparison rather apt.

I sincerely hope you are correct.

38 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Counting me as another vote for him just acting delusional. Just look at that pathetic video he released. 

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

So double sex scandal genes?

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

So double sex scandal genes?

Between all the womanizing and sexual harassment, let's just thank the gods the two families produced three women and no men.

Archived