US politics: Everything in moderation, including moderation

IheartIheartTesla

Just now, Fury Resurrected said:

Not to mention hiding it when called out makes it look worse. If you’re doing nothing wrong you have nothing to hide.

Yeah.  If I was Cori Bush's advisor and she asked me what to do in that situation, I'd say you got here due to your authenticity and willingness to stand up for your beliefs no matter what.  It'd be really stupid to change that now.

5 hours ago, Fez said:

Hence the all-important "supposed to be" clause. As in, this is the intended role of the police. And if the police are failing at that, which they often are, then the goal needs to be to fix the police. If someone like Bush wants to pay for private security in the meantime, that's entirely her right. However, very few people are in the same position to be able to afford that as well. And not having a functioning law enforcement is not a viable long-term policy choice. So talking about the two subjects, back-to-back, just makes her look out-of-touch.

Defunding the police is also extremely unpopular, there's been poll after poll about this. Here's one example: https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2021-07/Topline-USAT-Crime-and-Safety-070821.pdf

77% of Americans want more police on street patrols, including 58% of Democrats

70% of Americans want to increase police budgets, including 55% of Democrats

22% of Americans support the "defund" movement, including 37% of Democrats (only 10% strongly support)

Only 33% of Democrats agree with the statement "Moving forward, Democrats should focus more on reforming police departments"

68% of Americans, including 53% of Democrats, agree with the statement "Police officers are generally good and well-meaning."  And they say that even though only 22% of Americans, and 7% of Democrats, agree with the statement "Police treat all Americans equally."

Is there a deeper dive into what any of this means? I'm in favor of increasing a police department budget if the money is being used to enhance the support roles, the folks that are there to enhance public relations and community service.  Not for more militarized gear...

57 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah.  If I was Cori Bush's advisor and she asked me what to do in that situation, I'd say you got here due to your authenticity and willingness to stand up for your beliefs no matter what.  It'd be really stupid to change that now.

This is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Authenticity is her brand and Bush was being honest, but at the same time comments like that will get clipped and thrown into attack ads in tight races. We all know that will happen.

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

He seems to have had a lot of enablers.

I personally only really discovered him last year, briefly impressed with his covid press conferences. But I remember our NY boarders explaining how corrupt he was and apparently everyone knew....

He handled that aspect of Covid well, but all the stories of falsified numbers wrecks that. I doubt he has many if any allies let as of now.

So I hear Meghan 'My Father' McCain is leaving that popular show. Who want to bet she ends up with Fox?

Not proud I used to have a crush on her. And if she goes to Faux I'm sure she'll get reeducated. 

28 minutes ago, DMC said:

For the umpteenth time, it woulda happened anyway.

That doesn't mean people should continue to lean into the slogan. Just say reform the police instead. It's more accurate and plays better.

Democrats need to stop sucking at messaging. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That doesn't mean people should continue to lean into the slogan. Just say reform the police instead. It's more accurate and plays better.

:rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don't Fauci my Florida!

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Is there a deeper dive into what any of this means? I'm in favor of increasing a police department budget if the money is being used to enhance the support roles, the folks that are there to enhance public relations and community service.  Not for more militarized gear...

There's a few questions related to that:

90% of Americans (92% of Democrats) support training on de-escalation and avoiding violence

62% of Americans (81% of Democrats) support using some of the police's budget to fund community policing and social services

58% of Americans (46% of Democrats) support military or SWAT-style training for all police officers

36% of Americans (28% of Democrats) support stop-and-frisk policing

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Between all the womanizing and sexual harassment, let's just thank the gods the two families produced three women and no men.

Wasn't Bobby the boring one of the three brothers (Jack, Bobby and Teddy)?*

I mean he allegedly had an affair with Sam Giancana's girl. But that was revealed after he had been dead and buried for decades.

Anyway, have they freed up a room for him at Florida's Asylum for the Politically Insane (Mar-a-Lago, or the Markham Asylum as it is more commonly known)?

*I know there were four, but since Joe Jr. didn't make it out of WWII, and thus never go the chance to play national politics, he doesn't count.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

90% of Americans (92% of Democrats) support training on de-escalation and avoiding violence

1 hour ago, Fez said:

58% of Americans (46% of Democrats) support military or SWAT-style training for all police officers

That looks so ludicriously contradictiory. If you give them the toys and the training to do their CoD LARPing. They will want to do it.

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That looks so ludicriously contradictiory. If you give them the toys and the training to do their CoD LARPing. They will want to do it.

I would never argue that the American people writ large are savvy critical thinkers.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

:commie:

3 hours ago, Week said:

Don't Fauci my Florida!

Keep firing, Massholes! 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wasn't Bobby the boring one of the three brothers (Jack, Bobby and Teddy)?*

Relatively speaking, yes, but there are plenty of rumors about him too. Safe to say the Kennedys liked to party in more than one way. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

:commie:

To clarify, I gave the eyeroll emoji because your comment was already thoroughly addressed throughout the discussion, meaning you're either too lazy to read things you respond to or you're just posting pointless drivel.

36 minutes ago, DMC said:

To clarify, I gave the eyeroll emoji because your comment was already thoroughly addressed throughout the discussion, meaning you're either too lazy to read things you respond to or you're just posting pointless drivel.

Lol, I did read the thread and I was stating that I sided more with Fez, grouchy. 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, I did read the thread and I was stating that I sided more with Fez, grouchy. 

:lmao:

....by reiterating the lamest platitude ever - "Democrats suck at messaging" - as if that was the point at all?  Great contribution!

Biden Administration To Extend Student Loan Moratorium Until January 2022
The education secretary said this will be the “final extension.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/biden-administration-to-extend-student-loan-moratorium-until-january-2022_n_610d928de4b041dfbaa9c7e3

President Joe Biden’s administration is extending the moratorium on federal student loan payments until Jan. 31, 2022, the Education Department announced Friday.

The moratorium, which covers the overwhelming majority of student loans in the United States, began under President Donald Trump shortly after the COVID-19 pandemic began. Upon taking office earlier this year, Biden extended it until the end of September.

The administration is emphasizing that this will be the final extension of the payment pause. The Education Department — which oversees $1.4 trillion worth of student loan debt held by more than 40 million borrowers — said in a statement that setting a definitive end date for the moratorium will give both borrowers and loan servicers time to prepare for payments to restart. 

“As our nation’s economy continues to recover from a deep hole, this final extension will give students and borrowers the time they need to plan for restart and ensure a smooth pathway back to repayment,” Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said.

Would California really elect a bodybuilder turned actor with a funny accent, running as a Republican? I am pretty sure that question had been asked a few years ago.

The answer is: never underestimate the stupidity of the average voter. As a proud member of the Ford Nation, you should know that, eh?

Archived