US politics: Everything in moderation, including moderation

IheartIheartTesla

POLITICO Playbook: Emboldened progressives could cause headaches for Biden

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/08/07/emboldened-progressives-could-cause-headaches-for-biden-493892

There’s obviously a risk for Democrats here. With 2022 in sight, the window of opportunity is closing for the Biden administration to score major legislative wins. Democrats have the slimmest of margins in both the House and Senate, and an emboldened left flank willing to truly fight publicly with party leaders will create a drumbeat of “Dems in disarray” stories and cause headaches on both ends of Pennsylvania Ave. Dem leaders are already getting anxious about the midterms and warnings that their current message needs a reboot; infighting with progressives isn’t likely to allay those fears.

What progressives are eyeing next: student debt relief. On Friday, the Biden administration extended the pause on student loan repayment until the end of January. But progressives are hoping to force the administration to cancel tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of debt, something the White House isn’t sure it has the power to do. But emboldened by the eviction fight, progressives are ready to call their bluff.

“There are things that the Biden administration promises, and those are the things that unified the party going into the election,” the aide said. “It has opened up the minds of folks, and those conversations are happening.”

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Would California really elect a bodybuilder turned actor with a funny accent, running as a Republican? I am pretty sure that question had been asked a few years ago.

The answer is: never underestimate the stupidity of the average voter. As a proud member of the Ford Nation, you should know that, eh?

Yeah, stuff that shit, that's like saying every American is a proud member of Trump nation, which is patently untrue. And both Fords had been politicians for decades, this guy hasn't even run for dog catcher.

If Newsom is recalled it'd be more due to the apathy than the stupidity of voters - i.e. low turnout.  It should also be noted in the "shock" poll by Survey USA that came out the other day showing respondents favoring recall 51-40, the top replacement candidate was actually Democrat Kevin Paffrath at 27% over Larry Elder at 23%.

Anyway, the Senate is working for the second weekend in a row.  Cloture was just invoked on the infrastructure bill, 67 to 27, with 18 Republicans voting in favor - including McConnell as well as John Cornyn and Deb Fischer (both had not previously voted in support).  They're still haggling over amendments, and much of the GOP wants to delay as long as possible, but it appears final passage in the Senate is just a matter of time.  Trump continues to have a hissy fit over it, which is fun.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:50 AM, Tywin et al. said:

That doesn't mean people should continue to lean into the slogan. Just say reform the police instead. It's more accurate and plays better.

Democrats need to stop sucking at messaging. 

Republicans and the right do have the advantage of knowing when/how to package their messages in way that suite a particular audience.

So many leftist think they need only use terminology that would be understood and cheered on by them.

38 minutes ago, DMC said:

If Newsom is recalled it'd be more due to the apathy than the stupidity of voters - i.e. low turnout.  It should also be noted in the "shock" poll by Survey USA that came out the other day showing respondents favoring recall 51-40, the top replacement candidate was actually Democrat Kevin Paffrath at 27% over Larry Elder at 23%.

It doesn’t help when it’s not a clear cut election between a Democrat(Newsom) and a republican nominee to which democrats could unite uniformly against.

An enthusiastic support base can make up a lack of a majority’s support.

2 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

An enthusiastic support base can make up a lack of a majority’s support.

Yes the base that wants to recall Newsom has a clear enthusiasm advantage.  That's pretty inherent to recall elections in general.  Combined with the fact they're going to almost always be off-cycle and thus inherently very low turnout, that's why I think recall elections are pretty damn stupid.

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Individuals… cannot… file criminal complaints.  Only the State can do that.

Yes individuals can, at least in some states:

Instead of an individual filing the complaint, the government usually files the criminal complaint against the individual. However, some states do allow individuals to file criminal complaints.

And per the AP, that appears to be what happened here:

A woman who accused Gov. Andrew Cuomo of groping her breast at the governor’s state residence has filed a criminal complaint against him, the Albany County Sheriff’s office said Friday.

The complaint, filed Thursday with the sheriff’s office, is the first known instance where a woman has made an official report with a law enforcement agency over alleged misconduct by Cuomo. Its filing is a potential first step toward bringing criminal charges.

8 hours ago, L'oiseau français said:

I took a quick look at this Larry Elder guy in California. Would that state really elect a Trump supporter who’d eliminate the minimum wage and cause trouble for transgender people? California?

The issue is the way the California recall system is set up. There's a yes/no question on whether to recall Newsom, and a "if Newsom is recalled who do you want elected?" question. And if "yes" passes, then whoever has the most votes on the second question automatically becomes Governor. There's no primaries or runoffs or anything.

And Newsom discouraged any major Democratic names from getting into the race, because he wanted to ensure all Democrats vote against the recall; rather than thinking maybe they should recall Newsom and get another Democrat instead. As a result, there's no credible Democrat in the race as a replacement; I guess Kevin Paffrath is sort of taking on that role by default, but it's not like he has that much name recognition either. If Newsom is recalled, it's entirely likely whoever becomes governor will only get around 20% of the total vote. And of a low turnout election to boot. Not exactly the most democratic system.

Now fortunately Democrats currently hold veto-proof supermajorites in both chambers of the state legislature, so a Republican governor couldn't mess things up too badly. And the state AG, SoS, Treasurer, Controller, Edu chief, and Insurance chief are all elected in their own right, so they don't answer to the governor anyway. I suppose a Republican governor could start monkeying around with the executive agencies. But I would assume at the very first sign of trouble the legislature would simply impeach and remove the governor so that the Democratic Lt. Governor could take over.

Yeah it should also be noted that this recall is very different than the 2003 one that put Ahnold into office.  Grey Davis was much more unpopular than Newsom has ever been.  His Lieutenant Governor (Cruz Bustamante, also a Democrat) ran in the recall.  Arnold was also much more popular than any candidate running in the current recall - he actually received 200 thousand more votes (or four percent) than those that voted NOT to recall Davis.  Turnout was also 61%, and I'd be shocked if this one is anywhere near that high.  If Larry Elder, or anyone else, becomes governor for a year and a half, they almost certainly will be ousted in the on-cycle election next year.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yes individuals can, at least in some states:

How?  Is the State obligated to prosecute an individual personal criminal complaint? What happens when there is a conviction?  Does the individual jail the person so convicted?  This doesn’t make sense.

21 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How?  Is the State obligated to prosecute an individual personal criminal complaint?

No.  Then again, the state isn't obligated to prosecute if a police officer makes an arrest either.  I mostly know this due a random situation a few years back, but in Pennsylvania an individual can file a criminal complaint (and no, before anyone asks, I was neither the complainant nor the complainee).  Here's Lancaster County's (PA) website's explanation on private criminal complaints:

Pennsylvania Law does, however, permit an individual to file criminal charges against another person on his or her own. Rule 506 of the Pennsylvania Rules of Criminal Procedure permits an individual to file a private criminal complaint before a district justice. If you file a private criminal complaint, you become the affiant, or the person making the allegation just as if you were a police officer.

The same rules apply to you in filing charges that apply to a police officer. A mere allegation is not sufficient to initiate criminal charges. Filing a private criminal complaint in no way guarantees that criminal charges will be filed. Just as a police officer must do, you must demonstrate that probable cause exists that the person you wish to have arrested committed a crime. Probable cause is the legal standard of proof that our courts require in order for charges to be filed. In other than summary offenses, the district attorney must approve every private criminal complaint before a district justice is permitted to issue process.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

No.  Then again, the state isn't obligated to prosecute if a police officer makes an arrest either.  I mostly know this due a random situation a few years back, but in Pennsylvania an individual can file a criminal complaint (and no, before anyone asks, I was neither the complainant nor the complainee).  Here's Lancaster County's (PA) website's explanation on private criminal complaints:

Interesting.  So this is more a citizen requesting the State prosecute than the citizen prosecuting a criminal action?

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So this is more a citizen requesting the State prosecute than the citizen prosecuting a criminal action?

Right.  The state is still responsible for prosecuting the crime.  That is definitely what's reserved for only the state and not individuals.

I was getting confused, what with the sheriff calling it that... (It works roughly the same here, although we have different terms.)

Anyway, most of you probably know this, but apparently, the Assembly has been looking into possible impeachment for months, not just for the harrassment stuff, but also the nursery home situation aaand...  misappropriating money in connection with his book?! Sheesh. I also remember a councilman from a few months ago, who said he'd been bullied and threatened by Cuomo (or maybe his staff).

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

In SC individual officers can prosecute Traffic infractions and other misdemeanor stuff.

Sounds like that'd still be in their capacity as officers of the state/government.

Archived