Exercise & Fitness: it’s a marathon, not a sprint

Iskaral Pust

I also did some of the YouTube channel videos Tywin was mentioning above! Prime has some good ones as well similar to Yoga with Adriane. For beginners-intermediate I went with 30 days yoga with Julia Marie. It starts slow and builds on. She does have suggestions for how to incorporate her program with a weight loss regimen but she put those at the end and you can simply skip it if it’s not your thing. The yoga is regular Hatha but also some meditation and stretching every 5th ep or so. 

I’m training for a marathon. Did my first one towards the end of last year and got courageous enough that I enrolled another one this year. I feel I was overly ambitious but now I signed up and said it to my friends, there’s no way I’m backing out :X

Plus, my brother will tease me to no end if I do!! lol and I refuse to give  that leverage to my big brother, who’ll say I pussied out or some silly thing so he can laugh at me!!! We do push our buttons like siblings do. Get along perfectly fine even so B)

now all I have to do is not get injured in training.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread because it's spring here (even if it won't stop snowing) and that means it's time to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors. I broke my hip and had an emergency replacement 10 weeks ago.  I've graduated from PT and I've been cleared to do all the things I want to do, but I'm still stuggling with pain and endurance. I rode 5 miles on a pretty flat fire road on my bike and had to ice my hip afterwards.  I'm doing a ton of balance and strenngth exercises indoors. 

What's everyone doing besides sitting on the couch and eating bon bons?  

16 minutes ago, Whitestripe said:

Resurrecting this thread because it's spring here (even if it won't stop snowing) and that means it's time to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors. I broke my hip and had an emergency replacement 10 weeks ago.  I've graduated from PT and I've been cleared to do all the things I want to do, but I'm still stuggling with pain and endurance. I rode 5 miles on a pretty flat fire road on my bike and had to ice my hip afterwards.  I'm doing a ton of balance and strenngth exercises indoors. 

All I manage is my commute on my bike, its about 25 mins in the morning, about 55 mins at the end of the day (i come in/go out of 2 different stations) and i use it to commute between my 4 bases where i have staff, visiting one each day (round trip average about 40 mins).  Its the only cardio i can do now, I've got arthritis in my big toe which means I'll never be able to run again. 

I will start again at the gym at some point but its been closed for months now while the station is being refurbed and i absolute refuse to 

a) pay for a gym

b) train on my own time, if i'm getting sweaty i'm doing it in my lunch hour. 

1 hour ago, Whitestripe said:

I fucked my foot up a year and a half ago. My advice is to take recovery really slow at first. I had to do PT for several months to get back to normal and for a while still I did it mixed in with light training. No need to rush things. Good luck.

57 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I will start again at the gym at some point but its been closed for months now while the station is being refurbed and i absolute refuse to 

a) pay for a gym

This is the last thing I haven't done since the pandemic. I spent a lot on building a home gym and it works fine. I miss the environment, but it is easier to do yoga, pilates, weights and the row machine/ stationary bike at home. Plus I want to get back into jogging and buy a nice bike pretty soon. My current one is like 15 years old. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I fucked my foot up a year and a half ago. My advice is to take recovery really slow at first. I had to do PT for several months to get back to normal and for a while still I did it mixed in with light training. No need to rush things. Good luck.

Thanks. I've beem doing the PT for two months. We started in the hospital the day after my surgery. I have a lot of the equipment at home so I am still doing the exercises. I've been on my road bike on the trainer about 3x a week. I'm anxious to get in the woods on my mountain bike again. However, the weather is not cooperating!  My daughter is my primary riding partner and she's not going to let me attempt anything too crazy. 

I managed to stick to my routine of three runs and two swimming pools a week for a few months now. That's about 80-90k running and 14-15k smimming per month. I try to add some strength sessions every now and then, plus, as the Spring finally came, I will be aiming at cycling too. 50k per week would be my initial target. Would be great if I'm able to reach it without decreasing the number of runs/swims.

I fucked my back up from indoor climbing--specifically from dropping to the mat after bouldering. I think this was in large part because my 80% remote job has led to deteriorated core muscles.

So I'm trying to build that back up, safely. Doing some daily yoga, pull-ups, and planks. But taking it easy at first. I don't want to go back to that state any time soon!

I've had problems sticking to my routine over the winter. I've had some neck issues, then some other minor injuries that made it impossible for me to train. On top of that, my sleep was messed up. Even when I recovered from all that, I've changed my job and reestablishing the routine to include regular workouts became harder.

For a couple of weeks now I'm trying to get into it but I need to get up early in the morning to train before work, but I'm having difficulty with that. Hopefully, I'll get that sorted out soon.

Until then, my only physical activities remain walking my dog and playing floorball twice a week.

I’ve been lifting weights in my home gym.  Not as consistently as I would like but the last few months have been better (until some travel in recent weeks) after I missed an extended period last year: swimming all summer, then a weird series of illnesses and gardening projects for the fall.  That said, gardening projects restart very soon and we’ll reopen our pool in a few weeks.   I’ll continue some weight lifting but it probably won’t be more than 1-2 times a week on average.

I use the rowing machine for warm-ups, and I started taking long walks (~4 miles) with a podcast once or twice a week just for daylight exposure in the winter.

Last year, got embarrassed trying to summit Mt St Helens early in the season after healing from an ankle injury - the weather was warm and sticky snow, but mainly failed because my cardio was pretty shabby. Climbing buddy and I both signed up for an Olympic triathlon (our first) in mid July and have been doing a solid training plan since February, 1-2 progressively longer swim/bike/run workouts a week, with one combo workout day, two days of weights and a day of yin yoga for recovery.  

The plan is to also do a 5000ft gain hike in April and climb Mt Hood in May/June, in prep for Rainier in august/september.  But just had another friend tell me they got a permit two weeks after my triathlon to climb Mt Whitney.  Too many fitness goals!

• 2 weeks later...

Results are really starting to show. I've switched to a two day routine where day 1 is weights and cardio and day 2 is yoga and/or stretching. I just need to stop being so lazy with the row machine. That shit is hard if you try to do it for a long time. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Results are really starting to show. I've switched to a two day routine where day 1 is weights and cardio and day 2 is yoga and/or stretching. I just need to stop being so lazy with the row machine. That shit is hard if you try to do it for a long time. 

Yeah, I could cycle for an hour easily, and if I didn't have a fucked foot I would be able to run for that long, but if someone told me to row for an hour I'd honestly weep. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yeah, I could cycle for an hour easily, and if I didn't have a fucked foot I would be able to run for that long, but if someone told me to row for an hour I'd honestly weep. 

Honestly I think a 30 mile bike ride while smoking a joint and stopping for a glass of wine/beer at the midway point isn't anywhere as close to as difficult as just putting 10 minutes in on that fucker. 

33 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Honestly I think a 30 mile bike ride while smoking a joint and stopping for a glass of wine/beer at the midway point isn't anywhere as close to as difficult as just putting 10 minutes in on that fucker. 

The absolute most i will do is 4000m, and thats only on really good day, most days its 3000, sometimes even 2000 if i'm exhausted/hung over. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

I spent the last two weeks walking around Tokyo and Yokohama, but due to the fact that I won't sign away my biometric data for use by third parties, Samsung Health won't track my steps anymore. 

Is there any step tracker app that's kind of like DuckDuckGo, one that at least claims to respect privacy?

3 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

And a fantastic playlist! :cheers:

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The absolute most i will do is 4000m, and thats only on really good day, most days its 3000, sometimes even 2000 if i'm exhausted/hung over. 

Damn you and your Eurocommie metrics. That really isn't very far.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

And a fantastic playlist! :cheers:

?

9 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

?

What’s the question here? Haven’t had any coffee yet? :P

You said long bike ride, joint, wine and I added a great playlist to that perfect combo. All together make for an amazing day out. :D

Edited by kissdbyfire