MLB 2022: No Pitchers Allowed

Myshkin

40 minutes ago, Rhom said:

While chatting with friends though, I just found out that post season home runs do not count for career stats.  What the backwards fuck kind of record keeping is that?!!?  Who doesn’t count post season stats? 

So Pujols probably has more career home runs than Bonds at this point.

Im so confused.

It’s like that for every other major sport here in the states. :dunno:

It's an excellent question. You need a guy who's hitting 40+ a year starting at 21, 22 years old, and continue without major injuries very likely into his 40s. There simply aren't ever going to be guys with that amount of production over a very long career.

Obviously I'm biased and hope it never happens again. But I do think it will. I'm not seeing anyone in the league right now that's not a stretch, but any list would have to include Soto despite his slump, and probably Julio Rodriguez (who would need to seriously ramp up his power he showed at the home run derby). Trout has had an incredible career, but he simply doesn't hit enough dingers a season unless he goes well into his 40s. I'm sure I'm missing someone obvious, but I'm a bit distracted tonight.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

It’s like that for every other major sport here in the states. :dunno:

You telling me Kareem’s total points and Brady’s total TDs don’t count post season?  Get outta here with that garbage.

54 minutes ago, Rhom said:

You telling me Kareem’s total points and Brady’s total TDs don’t count post season?  Get outta here with that garbage.

Um, yeah.

Lebron has the most total points in NBA history counting the playoffs, about 500 more than Kareem. But Kareem’s the scoring leader right now because people don’t combine them and only count regular season. Google NBA all-time scoring leader and Kareem comes up on every list, which he shouldn’t apparently.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_td_career.htmhttps://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_td_career.htm

Brady has 711 combined but 626 in regular season. 

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Congrats to Punols on 699 and 700 tonight.

While chatting with friends though, I just found out that post season home runs do not count for career stats.  What the backwards fuck kind of record keeping is that?!!?  Who doesn’t count post season stats? 

So Pujols probably has more career home runs than Bonds at this point.

Im so confused.

This is...weird.  I was talking to my parents about Judge yesterday, and they were SO boomer old people.  My dad was like "well he's played in more games unlike Maris."  And I was like -- DUDE -- you grew up with 61 and the asterisk and the difference between 154 and 162.  Are you fucking serious?!?

Still, worse was my mom, who chimed in "but the playoffs are so much different than they used to be so what about that?!?"  And I mean..first of all how do you respond to that?  It's a single season record.  The playoffs, obviously, haven't started yet.  So...

C'mon man, don't be like my mom.  No, postseason stats don't count.  Obviously not for single season stats, but also not for career stats.  I mean, you can count them, but it's not what major records are referring to.  Not in MLB or or the NFL or the NBA.  That's just not how it works - and it's not how it's ever worked.  

14 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not only is not counting post season totals fucked up, but so Is having a different record for each division? Wtf is that about? 61 is not 70, why is this even a thing? 

I mean, there's a very good reason why the MLB, at least, didn't count playoff stats.  For a very long time only four teams made the playoffs - and for an even longer time before that only two teams.  Then it went to eight about thirty years ago, but still.  It's really not fair to the players on the nearly 3/4ths of the teams that don't make the playoffs.

As for the league differences, it doesn't really mean much.  But, as mentioned, it's a rather serendipitous coincidence that all from the steroid era that broke Maris' record - Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa - did so in the National League.

44 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If that is why they are pushing it then fair enough, however that motherf'er looks like he was created in a lab. I'm not sure he is the one they want breaking the record. 

Why not?  If you're saying he's doing PEDs, well, him looking like he came out of a lab is all the more reason to be assured he's not juicing for strength.  He's a physical freak not dissimilar to LeBron that just came out that way.  Stanton is similar, just not as good of a baseball player. 

Judge may be drugged up just to stay healthy, which is a whole other discussion on what should count as PEDs and what should not.  But, ironically, that's very different than what the other three were doing to boost their performance.

Archived