Canadian Politics: Brownnosing

maarsen

On 8/9/2023 at 5:49 PM, maarsen said:

Well the auditor general's report on the greenbelt land transfer is out and to the surprise of nobody, it was a political decision to reward certain developers. Doug Ford seems to be as stupid as he looks.

Warmington in the Toronto Sun called him out.

You know you pissed people off when the Sun starts calling out a PC Premier.

Admitting the process was wrong and that no one will be held accountable is not enough. In fact, it’s insulting to all Ontarians.

Edited by Lord of Oop North

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lol, I saw a Sun in a shop yesterday and the cover page said “Tempest in a teapot”.

Clearly the editor is still a boot licker.

Brian Lilley is also doing his best to make it into a nothing issue. Just a little construction bribery, nothing to see here!

Poilievre is such an absurd, silly, small souled shell of a man, he amuses me enough top my list as Jester. And, whoever thought having him remove his glasses and smile more would broaden his appeal [mid laugh gasp for air] They’re runner up, sight unseen.

That probably feels like it came out of nowhere-- I was watching CBC News this morning and caught a small presser with Poilievre. He got a question from True North [lol] about the build rate in the 70s like it was a random q and Skippy spouted off builds facts from the 70s like it hadn't been a soft serve. 

I fucking hate him. Poilievre is exponentially worse than O'Toole.

Edited by JGP

9 minutes ago, JGP said:

That probably feels like it came out of nowhere-- I was watching CBC News this morning and caught a small presser with Poilievre. He got a question from True North [lol] about the build rate in the 70s like it was a random q and Skippy spouted off builds facts from the 70s like it hadn't been a soft serve. 

I fucking hate him. Poilievre is exponentially worse than O'Toole.

Sadly, I fear this prick is going to get elected.

Maybe, but not at favorable odds. It'll be another Liberal/NDP coalition, I think [edit] which you'd think might make me a bit more magnanimous about him, but it's equal parts depressing and infuriating that the low info, self absorbed are fine with someone of his mettle leading our country.

Edited by JGP

They're evacuating Yellowknife.  A friend is finance/justice minister of NWT there,  helping coordinate the evacuation, responding to resident inquiries.  Didn't have time to even contact friends and family on social media to say she was ok until early this morning. 

As thousands of Canadians fled raging wildfires in the Northwest Territories on Friday, the country’s top leaders called on Meta to reverse its ban preventing users in Canada from sharing news articles on its social networks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/08/18/meta-news-ban-canada-wildfires/

Meta began blocking news links for Facebook and Instagram users in Canada in June after the country passed a law that allows news organizations to negotiate with tech giants to receive payment for articles shared on their platforms. The ban by Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram, has rankled Canadian authorities trying to share evacuation information this week across a remote swath of the country where social media is key to disseminating news.

“What Meta is doing currently is unacceptable,” said Pablo Rodriguez, Canada’s transportation minister, at a news briefing Friday. “We’ve seen that, throughout this emergency, Canadians have not had access to the crucial information they need. So, I ask Meta to reverse its decision, allow Canadians to have access to news on their platforms.”

I was listening to CBC a few days ago and this was the discussion. At the time I thought that anybody who needs Meta to gain access to news must be a blithering idiot. Can they not do a search and find a different site that has reliable news? The only people actually worked up by the Meta ban was those websites that aggregate news from other sources and post on Meta sites. 

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

I was listening to CBC a few days ago and this was the discussion. At the time I thought that anybody who needs Meta to gain access to news must be a blithering idiot. Can they not do a search and find a different site that has reliable news? The only people actually worked up by the Meta ban was those websites that aggregate news from other sources and post on Meta sites. 

Of course they can. There is nothing stopping them from accessing the news at all.

It's just that they only use Facebook for communication.

These people could easily share the same news via text message, or e-mail, or some other app that isn't Meta. If they can access Meta, it means they have access to cellular or wi-fi, so they can communicate via all of these other ways as well.

Edited by Lord of Oop North