Canadian Politics: Brownnosing

maarsen

the smoke is really bad all down the Atlantic Coast.  We are experiencing the worst toxic atmospheric pollution currently in NYC history -- and by a very long shot.  And it's worse further north. As mentioned elsewhere our medical network notified us to spend as much time indoors as possible, through at least tomorrow night, and when going out to wear a high quality mask.  The air here looks just -- weird.  My throat is sore.

https://gothamist.com/news/you-can-smell-the-smoke-ny-issues-health-advisory-over-worsening-air-quality

Edited by Zorral

My new (used) car is black, the first black car I’ve ever owned. I signed up to pay $25 a month for daily car washes (if you so desire). Who knows, maybe I’ll be washing the car twice a week from now on. I really think the grime is more than city dirt, it’s fire dust too.

Listening to Trudeau's address; nearly 3000 wildfires currently burning. HOLY COW!!!!!!!! 

Just came in from outside here, stopping between home and library at the supermarket, wearing one of the N95 3M ventilator masks we got back during the worst of the pandemic here.  So glad to have them. But it's weird how many people seem utterly oblivious to what's going on, despite the visibility of what is going on. ??????????

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Listening to Trudeau's address; nearly 3000 wildfires currently burning. HOLY COW!!!!!!!! 

Just came in from outside here, stopping between home and library at the supermarket, wearing one of the N95 3M ventilator masks we got back during the worst of the pandemic here.  So glad to have them. But it's weird how many people seem utterly oblivious to what's going on, despite the visibility of what is going on. ??????????

It is bad here in Southern Ontario. We are having air quality warnings on the radio. I can smell the smoke here when I go out. Stay safe.

13 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Stay safe.

You stay safe!  It's kind of amazing how many people with whom I shared that sincere hope just today so far, on my way from home to supermarket to library (which conveniently is a block from the supermarket, as home is essentially 3 blocks from supermarket).  This included the people trying to work at the restaurants, to our mail people and the amazon delivery people, the mom of the brothers who own our wine store, and various neighbors.  All of us know each other, for years now. While we locals are wearing masks outdoors today as well as inside -- and a lot of us have the N95 ventilator masks from when we were able to get them, though I've not felt the need to wear them since vaccination, nobody else is. The supermarket was full of shoppers. Looking at people's carts and what they are stocking up on -- toilet paper! --  It's as though we've all reverted back to the earliest days of the pre-vaccine covid pandemic without hardly a shuffle.

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

Just brutal.

Can home HEPA filters and so on even help with the extremity of what they're experiencing?

Partner went off in search of a HEPA or something like -- the one we had during the endless 9/11 smoking ruin days gave up the ghost by the time that condition finally stopped.

We got the last air filter unit at the local hardware store, which had been sitting there for a long time, judging by the dust on the box, on a top shelf that a ladder was needed to get down.  Nobody else had any, and looked confused when asked about them. If we’d ordered one from Amazon it wouldn’t get here until Monday, or paying premium, Friday, at the soonest.  We need it NOW.  Bet amazon is getting lots of air filter orders today.

We are thinking about leaving for New Orleans perhaps, for a few days. But there's work and so on, so probably not.

Too late. 

https://13wham.com/news/nation-world/smoke-from-canada-causes-ground-stops-delays-at-multiple-us-airports-wildfires-new-york-new-jersey-california-federal-aviation-administration-weather-low-visibility-haze-flight-delays-laguardia-airport-newark-liberty-san-francisco

The smoke and haze is causing low visibility, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

The FAA on Wednesday said LaGuardia Airport in New York, as well as Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey, and San Francisco International Airport in California have experienced ground stops.

The agency advised air travelers to expect flight delays in arrivals, adding that departing flights might also be impacted. ...

Edited by Zorral

Good to hear!  Some relief, I'm so glad for you all. Although, this is far from over.

We are having fluctuations, as the plumes return and then turn again.  We got a bit of rain late afternoon, and our air quality had turned to "Good".  But tonight and tomorrow the fluctuations will change that. But it sure beats what we had.  They Say we will continue to due the fluctuation thing.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I hate how the right has progressed from “we’re concerned about puberty blocks” to demonizing teachers not immediately misgendering and deadnaming their queer kids.

That's caused a bit of a caucus revolt there, could trigger an election. I expect the stuffy prick will back off. 'Parental rights' can fuck right off. Lots of these kids are closeted because of their parents and/or non-immediate fam. 

Also: lol @ Alberta [because of the election, not the fires]

2 hours ago, JGP said:

That's caused a bit of a caucus revolt there, could trigger an election. I expect the stuffy prick will back off. 'Parental rights' can fuck right off. Lots of these kids are closeted because of their parents and/or non-immediate fam. 

Also: lol @ Alberta [because of the election, not the fires]

Canada demonstrates the proficiency of deplatforming hateful rhetoric—if this was the US or UK, conservatives would uniformly be much more bolder In their transphobia.

Another kick to Ford's ass, this time by William Kaplan, the arbitrator for the hospital unions in their contract talks. Since the wage restraint bill was ruled unconstitutional, Kaplan ruled that the unions get wage increases similar to what other workers are getting. 

• 2 weeks later...