Surprisingly dumb moves made by clever or smart characters

Arthur Peres

41 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

He declared independence, attacked the only guy that was willing to reconized his title, and helped the side that hold his status as vassal. Then he asked the people that he was breaking away from, for help.

I don't think this actions match with his objective of independence.

They don't, but he thinks they do. He sincerely believed that he could make Tywin and the Iron Throne recognize his independence and let him have the North. 

Balon is that stupid and insane.

11 hours ago, sifth said:

How did he teleport in Robert's Rebellion? Didn't he spend the entire rebellion at Storms End?

I thought so too.

Mercy is never a mistake, Lord Renly," Ned replied. "On the Trident, Ser Barristan here cut down a dozen good men, Robert's friends and mine. When they brought him to us, grievously wounded and near death, Roose Bolton urged us to cut his throat, but your brother said, 'I will not kill a man for loyalty, nor for fighting well,' and sent his own maester to tend Ser Barristan's wounds." He gave the king a long cool look. "Would that man were here today."

Apparently he was teleporting between Robert and Stannis.

3 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I thought so too.

Apparently he was teleporting between Robert and Stannis.

Not sure if I'd count that as teleporting. Robert could have easily had another maester in his service.

22 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Still, a supposed genius and 4D chess master like Littlefinger should be able to get over it.

True but she technicaly has still a lot of worth/presrige as both a tully and stark child  and possibly now (unless its considered annulled) is the wife to the true heir to casterly rock too!!! 

4 hours ago, sifth said:

Not sure if I'd count that as teleporting. Robert could have easily had another maester in his service.

Nope. One maester per castle is the norm. Obviously Cressen didn’t do such a thing and this is only a mistake on Mr. Martin’s part, but with so many ridiculous theories with nothing to support them at all, may as well claim Cressen is a maegi so powerful he teleports around or pull something like Luke Skywalker’s force peojection. At least this is a claim that can be supported, despite the proof of it is an error.

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Nope. One maester per castle is the norm. Obviously Cressen didn’t do such a thing and this is only a mistake on Mr. Martin’s part, but with so many ridiculous theories with nothing to support them at all, may as well claim Cressen is a maegi so powerful he teleports around or pull something like Luke Skywalker’s force peojection. At least this is a claim that can be supported, despite the proof of it is an error.

Yea no, Tywin has 3 maesters in his service and there are dozens in the Red Keep. Heck I think there's at least two in Sun Spear.

Yup, just looked it up, Caleotte and Myles are the maesters at Sun Spear.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Yea no, Tywin has 3 maesters in his service and there are dozens in the Red Keep. Heck I think there's at least two in Sun Spear.

Yup, just looked it up, Caleotte and Myles are the maesters at Sun Spear.

Yea yes, unless you can bring in quotes.

Dragonstone has 2 maesters too, Cressen and Pylos but only because one is so old. Myles is a young maester and Caelotte has been serving since Doran's mother's days as a ruling princess. Doran himself is over 50 years old so follows the same pattern as Cressen and Pylos.

As for Tywin, I'd like a quote on that. An explicit quote that all three of the maesters are Casterly Rock maesters and not maesters attending Tywin during campaign, which also has at least one example that Stannis has at least 3 northern maesters with him in ADWD/TWOW sample.

23 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Yea yes, unless you can bring in quotes.

Dragonstone has 2 maesters too, Cressen and Pylos but only because one is so old. Myles is a young maester and Caelotte has been serving since Doran's mother's days as a ruling princess. Doran himself is over 50 years old so follows the same pattern as Cressen and Pylos.

As for Tywin, I'd like a quote on that. An explicit quote that all three of the maesters are Casterly Rock maesters and not maesters attending Tywin during campaign, which also has at least one example that Stannis has at least 3 northern maesters with him in ADWD/TWOW sample.

I'm not going through three 800 page books just to find one quote for you. My point still stands, some lords keep more than one maester.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tothmure

Here's a wiki article that states Tywin has three maesters though, if you don't believe me.

43 minutes ago, sifth said:

I'm not going through three 800 page books just to find one quote for you. My point still stands, some lords keep more than one maester.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tothmure

Here's a wiki article that states Tywin has three maesters though, if you don't believe me.

You don't need to go through several thousand pages, there are at least two known search engines on ASOIAF that you can use here both of the ones I know.

A Search of Ice and Fire

JRRT & GRRM Searcher | RR引得 (searcherr.work)

Your point doesn't stand since you fail to give quotes on all three of those maesters being Tywin's own maesters and also from being the same castle. My point stands that I've given an example that more than one maester is possible in the case of an old Maester, such as Cressen and also made note of that Dorne example also has a maester that's old. You can check the wiki article yourself or use the search engines I've just provided for your convenience to disprove me since wiki sometimes have wrong information and I'll admit that I didn't go looking for a quote on Doran's maesters. In any case, Tywin being attended by three maesters mean absolutely nothing since this is during a campaign with many lords, some of which would've brought their maesters. In fact, with so many lords around, it is quite possible that not a single one of those are Tywin's own unless we are told they are Casterly Rock's. A similar example to this is below:

That pleased her. She took a sip of wine, her dark eyes sparkling, and said, "The widow of Barrowton … and yes, if I so choose, I could be an inconvenience. Of course, Roose sees that too, so he takes care to keep me sweet."

She might have said more, but then she saw the maesters. Three of them had entered together by the lord's door behind the dais—one tall, one plump, one very young, but in their robes and chains they were three grey peas from a black pod. Before the war, Medrick had served Lord Hornwood, Rhodry Lord Cerwyn, and young Henly Lord Slate. Roose Bolton had brought them all to Winterfell to take charge of Luwin's ravens, so messages might be sent and received from here again.

Winterfell having three maesters present, there you have it. I must also add that Winterfell at this time houses only about a third or maybe less troops than Harrenhal at the time and far fewer lords as well.

As you can see, it is quite possible during a campaign with many lords and thousands of troops that some bring along their maesters and as you can guess, those maesters won't stand idly by doing nothing, they'd have no reason to be brought if they'll just sit around doing nothing.

26 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

You don't need to go through several thousand pages, there are at least two known search engines on ASOIAF that you can use here both of the ones I know.

A Search of Ice and Fire

JRRT & GRRM Searcher | RR引得 (searcherr.work)

Your point doesn't stand since you fail to give quotes on all three of those maesters being Tywin's own maesters and also from being the same castle. My point stands that I've given an example that more than one maester is possible in the case of an old Maester, such as Cressen and also made note of that Dorne example also has a maester that's old. You can check the wiki article yourself or use the search engines I've just provided for your convenience to disprove me since wiki sometimes have wrong information and I'll admit that I didn't go looking for a quote on Doran's maesters. In any case, Tywin being attended by three maesters mean absolutely nothing since this is during a campaign with many lords, some of which would've brought their maesters. In fact, with so many lords around, it is quite possible that not a single one of those are Tywin's own unless we are told they are Casterly Rock's. A similar example to this is below:

Winterfell having three maesters present, there you have it. I must also add that Winterfell at this time houses only about a third or maybe less troops than Harrenhal at the time and far fewer lords as well.

As you can see, it is quite possible during a campaign with many lords and thousands of troops that some bring along their maesters and as you can guess, those maesters won't stand idly by doing nothing, they'd have no reason to be brought if they'll just sit around doing nothing.

Very well, can you find me any in text proof that Cressen was indeed the maester that healed Ser. Barry? I've already given you examples of Lords such as Tywin bring other maesters with them, when they go to war, while still leaving Maester Creylen at The Rock.

16 minutes ago, sifth said:

Very well, can you find me any in text proof that Cressen was indeed the maester that healed Ser. Barry?

I've given in the very first post. "His own maester". Robert could've sent any maester that was campaigning but he sent "his own maester". Since Cressen has been the maester of SE since Baratheon brothers were just little children witnessing their parents ship getting wrecked in sipbreaker bay, Robert's "his own maester" is Cressen. 

I've already given you examples of Lords such as Tywin bring other maesters with them, when they go to war, while still leaving Maester Creylen at The Rock.

I've already given examples of those maesters quite possibly being maesters of other lords who joined the campaign.

Archived