"Woke" - what does it really mean?

Ser Reptitious

2 minutes ago, Week said:

Now that's gaslighting. :laugh:

Also, this may help you out -- the back and forth you describe, poorly, is not as flabbergasting as you seem to breathlessly repeat.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-to-use-the-dictionary

Yes, it is.  First, the line was 'oh, hahaha, conservatives so terrible they hate woke and can't even define it.  Next, a definition is provided and that person is told 'no, that's the wrong definition, you are using the word wrong.  Ultimately an actual dictionary definition is offered that substantiates the negative interpretation of woke and the response is total gaslighting of saying 'OMG you don't know how to read the dictionary!  your definition [in the dictionary] is still wrong.  It's insane.

"You are using it wrong" versus "You are using it in the less common way that is specifically noted as such"

We have well trod ground on why the negative and less common definition is has been intentionally perverted to be used as an epithet.

So, sure - you can use the less common meaning that only exists to be weaponized as a blunt instrument of the right. Just recognize that you're using weaponized ignorance as a cudgel and you get to own all that comes with that. 

As another example, take a spin here:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/woke

adjective

2. having or marked by an active awareness of systemic injustices and prejudices, especially those involving the treatment of ethnic, racial, or sexual minorities:

In light of incidents of police brutality, it’s important to stay woke.

He took one African American history class and now he thinks he’s woke.

This generation of kids is trying to make woke choices in life.

3. Disparaging. of or relating to a liberal progressive orthodoxy, especially promoting inclusive policies or ideologies that welcome or embrace ethnic, racial, or sexual minorities.

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What this thread has mostly highlighted is that certain members of this board have a very loose relationship with objective truth.. how very post Marxist. 

You're a conservative in the UK. How many more piece of shit PMs do you need to maybe look in the mirror my friend?

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're a conservative in the UK. How many more piece of shit PMs do you need to maybe look in the mirror my friend?

Too busy screeching about culture wars "issues" to be bothered with the abject failure and criminality of the Tory gov.

Rinse/repeat for the GOP.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

“Failure, look it up in the dictionary. Unless it says something that doesn’t support my point, in which case ignore that entry.”

"Failure - an inability to actually address arguments that have been thoroughly stated and instead just childishly whine."

1 minute ago, DMC said:

"Failure - an inability to actually address arguments that have been thoroughly stated and instead just childishly whine."

I’m confused, how can there be more than one definition? Was it like second on the list and so we aren’t meant to take it seriously?

Which words do I have to remove to get to the real definition? 

That’s how dictionaries work right. This is what you are teaching the kids?

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I’m confused, how can there be more than one definition? Was it like second on the list and so we aren’t meant to take it seriously?

Which words do I have to remove to get to the real definition? 

See here:

If you address what I actually said there, I'll respond.  Or, you can continue this childish display.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

See here:

If you address what I actually said there, I'll respond.  Or, you can continue this childish display.

I mean I noticed where you said ‘the first one counts more’ as if that means shit, and then conveniently ignored the words unreasonable and extreme from the definition and basically tried to gaslight the fuck out of everyone. 

At this point I’m pretty much just going to laugh at rhe ridiculousness of it all. 

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I mean I noticed where you said ‘the first one counts more’ as if that means shit, and then conveniently ignored the words unreasonable and extreme from the definition and basically tried to gaslight the fuck out of everyone. 

Childish display it is.  It is ludicrous that you cannot grasp that a "disapproving" definition of woke as "extreme" and "unreasonable" in no way supports your arguments - let alone your absurd contention it has anything to do with "illiberalism."

34 minutes ago, Week said:

Too busy screeching about culture wars "issues" to be bothered with the abject failure and criminality of the Tory gov.

Rinse/repeat for the GOP.

I just don't know how anyone can talk about objective relationships with the truth and also support a party lead by Boris Johnson. That literally requires you to accept truth isn't truth. 

25 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I’m confused, how can there be more than one definition?

You've clearly never studied psychology. :P

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, it is.  First, the line was 'oh, hahaha, conservatives so terrible they hate woke and can't even define it.  Next, a definition is provided and that person is told 'no, that's the wrong definition, you are using the word wrong.  Ultimately an actual dictionary definition is offered that substantiates the negative interpretation of woke and the response is total gaslighting of saying 'OMG you don't know how to read the dictionary!  your definition [in the dictionary] is still wrong.  It's insane.

:lmao::lmao:

First, I never said conservatives couldn't define it.  My entire point throughout this thread is that their definition is wrong.  You are attributing other people's arguments to me to make up a false narrative. 

Second, as I immediately explained (and now have repeatedly) and is apparent to anyone that can click on a link and read, the "disapproving" definition that describes woke as "extreme" and "unreasonable" STILL emphasizes the term is related to racial and social injustice.  Moreover, it in no way supports the right's attempts to define woke as "illiberal."  Accordingly, it in no way refutes anything I've said. 

None of you have addressed these facts, instead just chanting "dictionawry" like five year olds.  Talk about "gaslighting."

HOI, I tried in another thread. C'mon, dude. I get what you guys are saying that "woke" is now considered a bad thing to some. Just acknowledge that it was a good thing for a long arse time. Until the right co-opted quite recently like they do with all the "nice things", because it makes them uncomfortable, and that is how you use it. 

Also, buddy using gaslight. Really? Bleh.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

:lmao::lmao:

First, I never said conservatives couldn't define it.  My entire point throughout this thread is that their definition is wrong.  You are attributing other people's arguments to me to make up a false narrative. 

Second, as I immediately explained (and now have repeatedly) and is apparent to anyone that can click on a link and read, the "disapproving" definition that describes woke as "extreme" and "unreasonable" STILL emphasizes the term is related to racial and social injustice.  Moreover, it in no way supports the right's attempts to define woke as "illiberal."  Accordingly, it in no way refutes anything I've said. 

None of you have addressed these facts, instead just chanting "dictionawry" like five year olds.  Talk about "gaslighting."

You were trying to argue that you only recognised the definition of woke which is in the dictionary, which is the positive version and not the negative one put out by the evil right wingers. 

What I am saying is that the negative version of what that many people recognise is right there in the dictionary. I’m not sure why you are trying to gaslight people into believing you were saying something different or because it doesn’t mention the word ‘illiberal’ that somehow is referring to something entirely different. 

I really shouldn’t carry on this conversation because at this point i can only think you are just trolling. 

12 minutes ago, Tyria said:

HOI, I tried in another thread. C'mon, dude. I get what you guys are saying that "woke" is now considered a bad thing to some. Just acknowledge that it was a good thing for a long arse time. Until the right co-opted quite recently like they do with all the "nice things", because it makes them uncomfortable, and that is how you use it. 

Also, buddy using gaslight. Really? Bleh.

I never said it wasn’t. Right wingers used it as a punchline and a lot of people now think of that term first. Trying to pretend like that word isn’t allowed or is incorrect when it’s the definition recognised by millions of people is batshit.

Man, some of the people on this thread are acting so woke and thinking they don't even know what it means or it doesn't apply to them. Policing other people's use of words is like the most woke thing

So glad that this is all contained in this thread

Archived