House Farwynd: Insane? Or Visionaries?

“Lord Gylbert began to speak. He told of a wondrous land beyond the Sunset Sea, a land without winter or want, where death had no dominion. “Make me your king, and I shall lead you there,” he cried. “We will build ten thousand ships as Nymeria once did and take sail with all our people to the land beyond the sunset. There every man shall be a king and every wife a queen.”“

Do you think the Farwynds mad, as most of the Ironborn do? To me they seem like early Ragnar in the show Vikings. Wanting to lead the Ironborn to a new land to settle.

8 minutes ago, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

, a land without winter or want, where death had no dominion. “Make me your king, and I shall lead you there,” he cried. “We will build ten thousand ships as Nymeria once did and take sail with all our people to the land beyond the sunset. There every man shall be a king and every wife a queen.”“

Dudes out of his fucking mind

14 minutes ago, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

Do you think the Farwynds mad, as most of the Ironborn do? To me they seem like early Ragnar in the show Vikings. Wanting to lead the Ironborn to a new land to settle.

I honestly don't think he's mad, but Farwynd is my favorite ironborn house and I'd love to see them in charge, so I'm kind of biased. The fact that no one has properly committed to exploring across the Sunset Sea is seriously crazy. If them being skinchangers is true, they should be exploring the seas with their hosts, not, like, attacking Oldtown with a kraken or whatever. 

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

If Westeros is a map of Europe turned upside down it should be Australia, no?  Australia sounds like a nice enough place to me.  Martin or Farwynd can call it Australos or something better.  How bad could it be?  Stable seasons, no Lannisters...

It explains why no one returns. Planetos Australia must be treacherous.  

2 minutes ago, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

Nah he is a dreamer! I think it was an inspirational speech. He wanted what Asha wanted, but more land and less wars of the past!

Inspirational? Yea! So was Jim Jones.

Let's break it down

3 hours ago, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

Lord Gylbert began to speak. He told of a wondrous land beyond the Sunset Sea,

America? Bet! Ok, I'm listening 

, a land without winter

Ummm... Winter in the iron Islands and all Westeros is like, a decade or something so, maybe this summer land can maybe exist? I'm still listening 

or want

So, like there's beer there? To paraphrase Han Solo "I can want a lot"

I'm beginning to think this isn't adding up

where death had no dominion

Riiight

*Starts backing away*

“We will build ten thousand ships as Nymeria once did

How many ships? I have a hard time counting to 8,000. Who's gonna build this? Out of what, Pyke? 

And Nymeria went across the Narrow sea where it's narrow and navigated and not talking about always summer and immorality with an open tab

and take sail with all our people to the land beyond the sunset.

Oh everyone? Like all our people. What about the dog?

There every man shall be a king and every wife a queen.”“

King Hugorfonics... Well that does sound rather nice 

17 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

If Westeros is a map of Europe turned upside down it should be Australia, no?  Australia sounds like a nice enough place to me.  Martin or Farwynd can call it Australos or something better.  How bad could it be?  Stable seasons, no Lannisters...

Westeros is inverted Great Britain with Ireland on top. Once you see it you can't unsee...

Edited by Craving Peaches

2 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Ah thanks, back to the drawing board then...

Well don’t be too hasty. The UK and Ireland may indeed have formed a rough basis for Westeros but we shouldn’t presume that’s where it ends. 

Go to the original maps from the first book. You can see them here:

https://atlasoficeandfireblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/21/the-maps-of-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-a-game-of-thrones/

Gared’s grim face can be seen, earless, on the North’s east coast. The white knife river representing the Maesters knife that removed them.

In the south map, you can make out Ser Waymar kneeling as he’s about to be killed. It’s the SW corner. Turn the map clockwise and Waymar is dead, lying face down, his ragged cloak now the east coast. Turn it clockwise again and his risen corpse face, “a ruin”, reveals itself. His blue eye is the gods-eye lake, the ‘north’ compass point is the shard of metal in his other eye.

Turn the North map upside down and you’ll see the glum face of Will, and  a crow shape can also be seen behind him, pecking at the Wall.

Could just be my brain playing tricks I suppose … 

2 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

To assume that there's other bodies of land across the sea is a reasonable bet.

But proposing to put the entirety of your people on boats and sail aimlessly to the unknown from where no explorer has ever returned? It's beyond stupid.

I mean, Elissa Farman did it. If the Farwynds of Lonely Island are obsessed with the West, you'd think they heard about it.

Or at least the 3 islands she discovered when the Hightowers still accompanied her.

9 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Still, a sane man wouldn't bet all his race on a single expedition at sea. A single storm may be the end of your people.

Of course. I wasn't really supporting the idea they proposed, but ain't fully crazy. Altough you do need some of it to actually bet on it.

14 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Still, a sane man wouldn't bet all his race on a single expedition at sea. A single storm may be the end of your people.

Think about it though. They either find paradise or die, but either way they escape the hellhole that is the Iron Islands. Big brain move from my man Gylbert.