Law Abusers and [their] Enforcement of Power

Week

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m still perplexed by the officer’s choice to arrest a 16 year old autistic child over this comment… how did this officer think the arrest would be perceived?

Who knows, maybe they weren’t thinking about that. It appears quite reactive, and personal. She didn’t like being called a lesbian so decided that was an arresting offence. Or maybe it’s poor training and an inability to deal with the stressful situation and so make poor decisions.

They also misapplied the law, you can’t make a public order offence in your own home and it really shouldn’t apply to calling someone a rude word. However this isn’t a totally isolated incident so it’s clear there is also a larger issue at play. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Or maybe it’s poor training and an inability to deal with the stressful situation and so make poor decisions.

They also misapplied the law, you can’t make a public order offence in your own home and it really shouldn’t apply to calling someone a rude word. However this isn’t a totally isolated incident so it’s clear there is also a larger issue at play. 

In my experience its more likely to be poor recruitment than training. 

As to the second part I haven't read the full story. You can commit public order offences if you are in your home and the officer was outside. If they were both inside the premises it's inexcusable they didn't know this. It's one of the first things we were taught. But even if that was the case, in this instance there was no need for it. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Police raid a county record office, the newspaper’s reporters, and the publisher’s home to send a message after the newspaper had uncovered a DUI and driving without out a license offenses by a prominent restaurant owner. The judge that signed off on the raid was appointed after a retirement last year and has not responded to justify why a clearly illegal raid was warranted.

Eta-

The illegal raid seems to have claimed a victim as well. 

Edited by Week

On 8/4/2023 at 3:49 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I mean of course.

Question for the Americans.

Why do these MAGAts and racist coppers all look alike.

Somewhat obese, like somebody who took steroids, but forgot to workout while taking them. Beard on a non-existent chin.

Is there a clone facility somewhere, or is the lack of a chin an evolutionary advantage in the US.

I just read a more detailed article about this. Holy shit. If you turned a script in about this Hollywood would say it's too cartoonish. These fuckers are as evil as evil gets and confirms every negative thing you can claim about racist white cops. But I'm sure they're just a few bad apples

Police work in the US, well maybe not in the deep south, use to appeal to a lot of people that wanted to do good. I'm sure there are some of those types still, but even they can get corrupted by the culture. These days I just assume anyone who wants to be a cop isn't all that bright and was either a bully or someone who was bullied in high school. 

As to why they all look alike, people, especially with poor training, tend to hire people that remind them of themselves. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

At least in the UK you will soon be able to easily outrun all the corrupt and abusive police.

Apparently we are dropping the fitness bleep rest to level 3.7.  Basically a brisk walk. Fucking unbelievable. 

If that’s the best someone can manage wearing short, t-shirt and trainers, wtf are they going to be like with boots, body armour and utility belt weighing them down?

I did a couple foot chases as a special constable, and even at the peak of my fitness, doing 4 or 6 mile runs four or five times a week, it’s a hindrance

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

37 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I did a couple foot chases as a special constable, and even at the peak of my fitness, doing 4 or 6 mile runs four or five times a week, it’s a hindrance

Yep. You catch them in the first few hundred metres or not at all. 

• 6 months later...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-04-01/kidnapped-teen-killed-by-deputies-as-she-followed-their-instructions-video

Anyone else remember this? I remember the narrative at the time had her “unfortunately” getting caught in the crossfire. The truth is so much worse. I find the lack of anything beyond irritation in the cop’s voice when he’s calling off the others especially disturbing.